ArmyTek

Thread: Titanium 18650 light?

Default Titanium 18650 light?

Does anyone make a titanium light with the following:

Xp-g-U2 led
    ability to use 18650
    Multipurpose reflector

So far I have found nothing other than $500 plus options from McGizmo or the like.

Default Re: Titanium 18650 light?

There was a P60 host on ebay for a while at somewhat north of $100. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name - did some searching for you. Fireworm.

Fireworm F1 Titanium - use those words to search on ebay and you will find it, ~$120. Comes with a drop-in.

If you are looking for an LED in particular that is probably your best route. Have nailbender or vinghe..... build you the drop-in you want (see custom B/S/T)

Flashaholic*

I would separate both wishes:

* Led insert with that led (better think of what tint ...) and reflector --> nailbender
    * titanium host --> I think Solarforce has one ... at least to get something to start with

... but I really wonder why?
    There is no technical reason to use heavy and not good heat transfering metal - when there is HA (natural) aluminium ...
    Last edited by yellow; 08-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Flashaholic*

Nope, Fireworm is the only cheap one. Its actually the same price as the Solarforce SS series of P60 hosts.

After that, its customs.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderhead72 View Post
    ... Xp-g-U2 led ...
    Where! I want an XP-G U2 bin! I'm sure you meant Xm-L U2 bin.
    Multipurpose as in muti beam type? Focusable? A P60 compatible Ti host might be good for you.

The Firework F1 looks decent. Looks like a normal P60 host, except made out of Ti.

Let me second what Yellow said:

Titanium is not good for lights that are going to have trouble with heat-management.
    It has poor thermal conductivity: heat builds up where it is generated, instead of being moved away from the source.

So if you plan to run your 18650 XML U2 at low outputs and cool temps (e.g. 300 lumens or less) then you may be okay.

But if you are putting together that battery with that emitter because you want to produce a lot of lumens, then you would be wiser to go with aluminum.

Otherwise, your titanium body will lead to overheating things. That can get ugly.

(I should say: I like titanium! I have a Ti Quark AA that is my EDC. But an AA is not an 18650, which can generate many more watts.)

Understood. Never considered the heat disapation factor. I would assume stainless would be almost as bad?

Flashaholic*

Just depends on how much light. I have a nailbender XRE optic at 260 lumens in a SS Solarforce L2. Runs for a long time and only gets warm after a while. If wanting more than 300 lumen, I'd prob go with aluminum. I do not mind it, but many find the SS hosts to heavy. The Ti are between Al and SS on weight.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Iron conducts heat better then Titanium (not sure about stainless steel), but still nowhere close to aluminium.

I believe it comes down to conduction as well as molecular density. Consider copper for example better conductor all around however it's density keeps it from cooling as quickly. Stainless steel is 5% nickel which has an even higher molecular density than iron or steel making it a great conductor of electricity but not so much for heat disapation. The same argument could be made with gold,silver or even lead when taken to the extreme.

Stainless steel is 5% nickel which has an even higher molecular density than iron or steel making it a great conductor of electricity
    The electric conductivity of stainless steel is worse than the electric conductivity of iron or nickel.
    I believe it comes down to conduction as well as molecular density. Consider copper for example better conductor all around however it's density keeps it from cooling as quickly.
    Do you mean that 10g of aluminium cools down faster (stores less heat energy) than 30g of copper (they are roughly the same volume)? That can be true but it doesn't matter, since we are usually interested in actual temperatures and how much heat is transferred/dissipated into the surroundings when the light is on, not how long it takes for the flashlight to cool down (how much heat energy was stored by the body) once it has been turned off again.