7.4V bulb for Mini Maglite?

John D in CT

Newly Enlightened
Hi all -

For a long time now, I've been wondering if I can get a 7.4v bulb for a 2 x AA Mini Maglite so I can use 2 x 3.7v 14500 lithium batteries in it and get a lot more light out of it.

Does such a bulb exist? Can the existing lens and housing take the added heat? Can a different lens be used? Is the switch mechanism capable of handling the added load?

Thanks!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a bin-pin lamp is the easiest, but they will be a lot bigger, say like SFs bulbs.

but You got the real problems:
NOTHING at the front end can survive the heat.
Probably there can glass front lens, reflector, even a ceramic bulb holder (instead of the "switch") be found ... I think latter has been done here already?

John D in CT

Newly Enlightened
There was an AuroraLite Hotwire for the Minimag, but it might be hard to find the parts for it now. Here's a review from 2006.

Nice, just what I was looking for. I'll poke around to see if it's still available - in kit form, or parts.

I already have a good charger - an XTAR WP6 - so it won't be ridiculously expensive to add a "Wow" factor to one or two of my MiniMags.

Does it make economic sense? Of course not! But that's not why I want to do it. :)

(And sorry for the delay - noob forgot to turn on his email notification preferences - doh!)

Thanks again for the responses; one melted MiniMag, coming right up! :)

labrat

Enlightened
There was also a kit with an aluminum reflector (NOT silver coated!) , a bulb holder like the one in the Aurora kit , a glass lens and a special bulb for 3 (maybe it was 4?) AA Alkaline batteries.
AND a body extender allowing the MiniMAG to accept 3 (or 4) AA batteries.
I remember seeing one of these once, a colleague here in Oslo had one.
Cannot find any links, but they did exist.
But this was almost before you could go on the Internet!
Big problem was that spare bulbs was not possible to get outside of the kit.