Mag 1D CBT-90 UT

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inspired by Olight SR95 UT, I built a FM3X UT using P-bin CBT-90 (Even better than SBT-90 used in SR-95 UT, because that the CBT-90 is basically SBT-90 that came on on copper star).
I really love the FM3X UT, so I am going to try to make it happen on Mag 1D platform, targeting high lux with 3 modes. The closest light to this was a DIY Cut Mag 1D SST-90 I made while back,
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?273748-DIY-Cut-Mag-1-5D-SST-90-2000-Lumen-Rebel-Mag-Deep-SMO-gt-50-000-lux-1-meter!!
In this build, I am for various improvements: Smaller host, seamless cut, longer throw and 3 mode to make it more useful…

Part I. Making of the host

Cutting the 3D Digital Camo mag tube
img2012080200002.jpg

Bore the tube with a 35mm hole saw to 35mm
img2012080200001.jpg

Bore out the 1D tail section to very thin
dscf2316yp.jpg

Cut the thread section of Mag body & grind the wall down to very thin
dscf2312h.jpg

Insert the thread piece into the Mag shorty tail, apply JB weld at the internal groove junction.
dscf2321a.jpg

Thread in the tail cap part way & push the thread all the way in,
then polish the end, until it looks like this:
dscf2331u.jpg

The tail will look identical to OEM
dscf2324d.jpg

Including the original OEM anodized threads
dscf2339ot.jpg

Finished host, Group photo of compact power houses
dscf2359m.jpg

Now, moving on to modding Bright Lumens SST-90 heat sink.

Drill down the center post
dscf2367r.jpg

Grind down the rim of post as well
dscf2368u.jpg

Grind down the rim. I'll be using using the heat sink backwards
dscf2377d.jpg

Drill a dimple in the center of the rear to get rid of the center residue that's raised slightly
dscf2386y.jpg

Moving on modding the CBT-90

This is a beautiful Led, the cover glass over the die is actually AR coated. Beefy copper heat sink is just a bit too big for mag, need some operation.
dscf2378.jpg

Cutting it with a cutting wheel took solid 2 hrs, because it need to be cooled down constantly.
dscf2383g.jpg

Fits perfect in the rear of the heatsink, the well meant for driver circuit
dscf2389p.jpg

For soldering the led, I chose 20AWG teflon wire. I also have 18AWG but that's way too hard to work with, look how much thicker it compare to the 20G (Orange & Brown).
dscf2416x.jpg

Did a quick test making sure the led is still working
dscf2421q.jpg

Spread the arctic Silver, make sure to center the die perfectly & press down with the Mag Rebel SMO reflector (Quick focus stem was cut-off)
dscf2448d.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

This is 6500K Cool White, I just built a FM3X UT using the same CBT-90 & Really like the tint, snow white, no green or blue or yellow.

The Drive Solution is not sure bet yet, but here is what's I've got so far:

Switch & Driver:

It's a pity that after 3 years, there is still no 9A driver for sale with modes. there is one CPFer selling a 9A driver but only one mode. There are a bunch of SST-90 drivers from various stores, but none of them are true 9A.

In this mod, I am exploring the use of AW 3 level Mag D incan driver. The light will be powered by 4AA, which would give 8.5A with Eneloops 2000 & probably over 10A using Elite 2000 AA. I've got both, will compare them when done.

The AW incan driver is PWM, able to handle over 10Amp, combined with direct drive 4AA, I could possibly make my ideal hand held powerhouse.

There were some folks tried using AW incan driver on led, some worked & some didn't. Some says it need 2 cells etc. I am not sure if this is going to work, but I don't have alternative methods either. So here it goes:

Remove the Incan socket & supporting poles from AW Incan Driver/Switch combo:
dscf2408o.jpg

The Incan driver does not label +/-, it's necessary to test out which is which for led use.
Also, figure out how does it change modes. Looks like 4.19V, 4.18V & 4.09V for the 3 levels (Although they are PMW, there still a small difference in voltage as shown). Also, to turn it off, one needs to press & hold the button, otherwise it'll just keep switching modes.

I am guessing that this is an electronic switch?
dscf2411n.jpg

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol u posted another update while i was posting... have you tried the DW 9a buck driver? (maybe this was the "only" 9a driver done by a cpf member you are in fact refering to)

i am using one set to 9a, potted to heatsink to run a sst-90... it works great with 3x 26650 or 32650

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, here comes The last steps:
Soldered up the switch to the led, put the switch & heat sink assembly in.

Applied Arctic Silver 5 for optimal heat transfer from heat sink to mag body.

Set the switch screw & locked it in place. Tested conductivity from switch body to flash light tail.

What else is there left to do? Put 4AA into FM battery holder & turn it on, right?

Well, it didn't happen that way, I now have a bad news & a good news.

First, the bad news:

The FM battery holder I just got is missing a positive brass tab,
See the picture, the one next to the letter "P" is blank
pulling-hair.gif
pullhair1.gif

dscf2308a.jpg

Now, the good news.
I put a 26650 in there just to test the AW Incan Driver, It works! The 3 mode PMW switched the led modes perfectly, even the soft start works, it ramps up the brightness in a couple seconds.

This means that it'll def. work with the 4AA, when I get the FM battery holder fixed, I'll finally have luminex big chip led driven to 10 Amp with 3 modes :)

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
10A is no biggie, I used to shock the SST-90 to over 15 Amp in order to reduce their Vf.,
After shock therapy, single IMR can drive it over 5A. Before, it's usually 3.5A-4A when assembled into a flashlight.

Two Lifepo4 26650 Direct Drive SST-90:
img0733xs.jpg

I tore apart the FM battery holder this morning, I see what the problem is. The Battery holder's
first positive tab is a "press-in" piece, not secured by solder or a hard connection.

I am glad that mine fell off, as this is not a good idea when pushing 10Amp current through. It looks like the weakest link to this otherwise very well engineered battery carrier.

I should be able to make a tab that screw in between the nut & pole hidden in the charger port, then drag a thin pad into the P position through the white material. That'll give me the ultimate security to handle 10A current & ensure that the positive tab will never fall off again.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Really nice mod! The CBT should be able to handle higher current due to the connection to the copper base. It'll be cool to see it at the max rated 13.5 amp.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always like to see your new threads ma_sha1. There is always plenty of pictures and creativity. Thanks for sharing again.

Thanks Buddy, that's very kind of you.

Update:

I have fixed the FM battery holder, but not without further complications, will have pictures soon....

Epsilon

Enlightened
Like the build a lot! Nice led, good idea with the threads, good driver idea, together making a very usable light!

Does the led focus well with the magrebel reflector?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice led !
And great skills with tools given.
What cd/mm2 are you aiming at from the die?

Don't know about the cd/mm2, but I do have a lux target in mind.

Here are 2 reference lights I had, both were with SST-90 & Deep Rebel SMO.
My SST-90 4XAA Eneloop Mag 1D measured 8.35Amp, 42K lux
Lambda Vara2000 SST-90 4x5000mah Nimh D cells: 9.87Amp, 46K lux.

CBT-90 should give about 40% lux gain over SST-90 driven to same amp, If I can get 8.35Amp, It should be close to 60K lux.
However, because I didn't do "high current (15-18Amp) shock to the led to reduce Vf, it may not get to 8.35 Amp level right away.
But the SST-90 Vf will drop over time, the Amp will go up & the light will get even brighter with use.

Like the build a lot! Nice led, good idea with the threads, good driver idea, together making a very usable light!
Does the led focus well with the magrebel reflector?

This is a very good questions. Depends on how you define "focus well". If it's for throw, then yes, Deep Rebel SMO should give the highest lux for this big die on any reflector put into mag head.

However, it's not w/o flaws. The SST-90 big die in Rebel SMO has always has a soft core or faint donut in its hot spot.
I've made quite a few SST-90/Rebel SMO lights back in the day that SST-90 just came out, I could never get away from that.

I was hoping that the The CBT-90 would not have a donut because the reduced apparent die size, but the reality is, it still does.
just like every Mag Rebel SMO SST-90 combo, the faint donut is still there.

I don't know if there are better mag reflectors out there now, I would be interested in trying out new reflector candidates.
I know it's possible. As the FM3X UT I just made (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341778-FM3X-UT-with-CBT-90-amp-Home-made-Elephant) has a perfect hot spot, solidly filled with smooth corona, like a McGizmo PDS, except 100x brighter.
That was DX 3" SMO.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now, Finishing up fixing the FM Battery Holder:

I made a copper washer with a tail, to be screwed under a nut the goes on the pole.
Unfortunately, the nut was originally glued & has crazy glue residue in the hole. I was not able to screw it on easy, after using excessive force, I broke that pole off & the nut won't be able to go back-on.
dscf2453h.jpg

The last fix. I drilled & tap a hole in the metal rod & used a small screw to secure the copper positive connection tab instead.
dscf2454e.jpg

All these work just to add this little copper pad:
dscf2457j.jpg

Voltage with 4xEneloop: 5.5V. 6.5A tail cap current.
Freshly charged up gets 6.62V 7.0Amp tail cap current
dscf2458g.jpg

Voltage with 4xElite 2000: 5.2V 6.0A.
Elite 2000 supposed to be higher volt under load, in turn deliver higher amp than Eneloop.
This is a real disappointment. The Elite lasted about 5 min & died off. I think the batteries are shot, although they are freshly ordered.
dscf2461y.jpg

Beam shot vs. my Super Performing SR-51, which scored 58K lux (much higher than reported lux from older review lights). camera on manual. 1/10 sec. exposure 35 feet to the wall.*
Had to drill open the reflector hole a bit more to lower it for better focus.
dscf2478q.jpg

Olight SR51 super performer: peak turn on -58K lux
dscf2462vc.jpg

Mag 1D CBT-90 UT peak turn on: -55Klux @ 7Amp
dscf2463u.jpg

The tint on the US is snow white, not blue as seen in the Photo
The tint of SR51 is more green than the photo
The two lights looks similar in brightness, but I like the UT tint much better than the SR51