Unique Titanium
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag 1D CBT-90 UT

Default Re: Mag 1D CBT-90 UT

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    Don't forget, cbt-90 is different from sst-90. No thermal pad and solder junction to transfer heat to the "star." Instead, the LED die is mounted to the "star" directly from the factory. The sst-90 has to transfer heat through its substrate to its thermal pad, which then is soldered to the thermal pad of a star, which is separated from the metal core with insulating layer. Even if you solder it directly to a heatsink, the heat still has to go through the substrate of the LED package, and through a solder joint, before it gets to the heatspreader/heatsink.

Think of the cbt package as current day processors. You don't see the actual chip anymore. Instead, they bond a heatspreader to the chip to quickly wick heat away from the chip. This integrated heat spreader is then attached to whatever thermal exchanger you are using, finned heatsink, water block, etc.

Remember how older, or less beefy processors were just a shiny silicon chip's backside showing? That would be like if we could buy bare LED dice and mount them to heatsinks ourselves.
    You might be right, but I still think the VPT will win in the long run (lets after 5 or 10min at full blast) because the copper pcb of the cbt-90 will be soaked up with heat rather quickly. You would need to solder the pcb to a copper heatsink for similar/better performance. What we need is numbers, to proove our theories .

You always need to add enough thermal capacity, regardless of the thermal transfer method. Don't forget that the host will be the majority of this thermal capacity.

Btw, did you know that aluminium has 3 times the thermal capacity of copper by weight? Only because copper weighs about 4 times as much as aluminium it wins on that front.

Sorry ma_sha, will stop now and wait for updates of this very usefull build

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    You always need to add enough thermal capacity, regardless of the thermal transfer method. Don't forget that the host will be the majority of this thermal capacity.

Btw, did you know that aluminium has 3 times the thermal capacity of copper by weight? Only because copper weighs about 4 times as much as aluminium it wins on that front.

Sorry ma_sha, will stop now and wait for updates of this very usefull build
    Yes I do, but it's a mott point since flashlights are supposed to be a small as possible.

And I agree, this thread is not about us, but about ma_sha1s great creations

How about we rally together & sing "Kum-ba-ya" under the Swan blaster?

Currently at 42 million cps, it's about the length of VP turbo, just fatter, will need 200 de-domed VPT together to make-up the lux

I am actually thinking about selling this mag to fund a new lamp, 260W/0.8 mm arc, yum...
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

if you are selling the cbt90 mag, please make sure colonel buys it... my pocket book cant afford seeing a fs: cbt90 thread right now!

lol.

Ok ma_sha,
    I give up
    but my light still has 36 modes

Why do you need a new lamp? Shouldn't it last for like 2000 hours?

Why has your light not beaten the Maxablaster yet?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post

Why do you need a new lamp? Shouldn't it last for like 2000 hours?
    Why has your light not beaten the Maxablaster yet?
    I am only 2 hours into the 3000 hr rated life, but Osaram comes up with a new PVIP lamp with 20% shorter arc, a 20% gain in surface brightness.

I am having a hard time focusing the lamp precisely, a wide swing gets me anywhere between 38-43 million cps. The 3 point focus mechanism I copied from RA is a pain in the butt to use when precision focusing is needed.

Theory numbers always come short in front of the cruel reality of lux measurements, looks like a new 0.8mm arc lamp is necessary for swan blaster to beat maxa blaster in throw.

I need to build a new lamp module but still cringing at the thought of doing it again.

Really enjoyable to watch your mod, great job!

Thanks Download!

love the multi led 7135 wiring method of yours!

great job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12