Fenix TK70 has a yellowish haze inside the glass, stained or the LEDs throwing this.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK70 has a very noticeable yellowish colour inside the front glass.

I don't know whether it is permanently stained by heat or are the LEDs throwing this colour onto the glass when they are lit up, on low you can see it easily.

There is no yellow in the beam, so I don't know whether it is stained by heat and has anyone had the front glass out?

If the glass can come out should I try cleaning it?

After looking through the glass with a small light it appears to be gone when the TK70 is not lit.

I now think the LEDs are throwing the yellow colour onto the glass.

Can anybody with a TK70 see this yellow on the glass with the light running?

Great flashlight but!!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
I had a previous Fenix that had a haze develop a little. It's the coating on the glass that can react to heat or something.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed the purple look about the front glass.

The yellow does not seem to be in sight until the LEDS start shining.

I put a small light and looked through the glass and no yellow is apparent.

I am really starting to think the LEDS are throwing the slight yellowness onto the glass when they are running.

If I can't get the glass out easily I can't tell if there is some discolouring on the glass or not.

Does anyone know how to get the front glass out without damaging anything?

Bit of a mystery that does not change the output at all.

Harro, get those Imedions for your TK70, you will be pleased I am sure.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix TK70 has a yellowish haze. The LEDs are throwing the yellow onto the glass.

I have been checking out my TK70 and it appears by the experimenting I have been doing that the LEDs are projecting the yellow colour through the front glass.

There is no sign in any way of the yellow when the light is turned off.

I took a few photos to show what I mean and see if your TK70 does this as well.

The photos don't show how much yellow there is.

In reality the yellow is a bit stronger.

The photo below shows the yellow colour on the glass when the TK70 is on low.

TK70yellowglass12.jpg

The photo below shows the yellow colour on the glass when the TK70 is on low from another angle.

TK70yellowglass70.jpg

This shot below is with the TK70 on low with a heavy piece of paper over the front glass to diffuse the bright light.

TK70yellowglass4.jpg

This shot below is with the TK70 on low with a heavy piece of paper over the front glass to diffuse the bright light but taken a bit closer.

TK70yellowglass6.jpg

Cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Re: Fenix TK70 has a yellowish haze. The LEDs are throwing the yellow onto the glass.

Thats normal, mine has it too

Gunner12

Flashaholic

That's just the light being reflected at the glass in front of the reflector, perfectly normal. The only way to remove it is have a much more transparent glass.

Remember that it takes a bit of distance for the light being reflected by the reflector to form that nice round beam you see. When you look at the light head on, you'll see that the reflector and the LED all appear to be lit, that is what you are seeing being reflected off the glass. The darker spot is the gap between the LED and the reflector, and the yellow ring (and the white ring around that) is the light being reflected off the reflector.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was worrying me at first, but now after my inspections I feel better.

And you other TK70 owners have added extra comfort in my knowing it is just natural and not a problem at all.

Cheers

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

XM-Ls generally have some sort of tint shift in the beam. This is because they are a slightly different color on the outside. The problem is that the reflector mainly collects the light that is going to the sides. What you are seeing on the glass is the focused part of the beam, basically the edge of the hotspot and the corona. The is where the tint shift occurs.