Fenix LD22 vs LD41

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Until recently I was considering buying a Fenix LD22, I even created a new thread here so people could recommend a flashlight for the uses I stated. However, after checking the price and characteristics of the LD41, I am starting to consider it for these reasons:

1. 520 lumens on the LD41 vs 190 lumens on the LD22
  2. LD41 has a longer battery life at the same output, and although it runs on twice as much batteries as the LD22 (4 AA batteries instead of 2) the runtime at 190 lumens is MORE than 2 times the LD22's - 7h30min vs 2h26min
  3. LD41 uses a LED that gives more flood than the LD22, at least that was what I was told, if I remember correctly.

The LD22 has nicer looks from what I can see, is more compact, cheaper (not that much, but still, it's something) and has a lot of acessories like the red filter, diffuser lens, camping light, that I cannot find for the LD41.

So, overall, which light do you recommend?

Thank you in advance,

mesquita.mas

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with either light, but I have researched both. I'd personally take the LD41 every time, mainly for the reasons you mention. To break it down,

For 20% more money you get more than double the flashlight. You have double the throw, more than double the light output and run-time (at like outputs)... The way I see it, if it's not a single cell EDC light, a little extra size isn't always a bad thing. I like a slightly larger light that I can really get my hands around and grip. You also don't have to worry about as many backup cells because of the increased efficiency. I'm not sure how they compare in the flood department, but I bet the LD41 is at least close if not more floody..

I don't use a lot of accessories on my lights. I once used a diffuser on my TK41 but the amount of output it robs bothered me. Rather than spend money on accessories, I just put it towards a new light geared towards varied needs :thumbsup: The LD22 is shaped like an oversized multi-function screwdriver, I honestly find the overall shape of the LD41 better.

Also peek at the Jetbeam PA40. The Fenix seems to edge it out statistically in almost every category, but the Jetbeam has some serious fans. Search for the PA 40 review by selfbuilt. It's hard not to like that light. Those are the 2 lights I'm torn between as a backup right now.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LD41 is physically bigger then the LD22 and will provide more throw due to the larger reflector. It also provides more runtime both due to the 4x AA batteries and because of the XM-L emitter.

At the same current, the XM-L puts out more light then the XP-E or XP-G due to the larger die of the XM-L. LEDs at lower current provide more efficiency, so the larger die of the XM-L (2mm x 2mm) means lower current per area then the XP-G (1.4mm x 1.4mm) and the XP-E (.9mm x .9mm). This means at the same output, the XM-L uses less power, so the light can run more then 2x longer at the same output. But because the XM-L has a larger die, it also takes a larger reflector to provide the same beam pattern as an emitter with a smaller die.

You should be able to find beamshots of both the LD22 and LD41, so you can see which beam pattern suits you best. If you like the beam pattern and don't mind the larger size, definitely go for the LD41 or similar lights like the Jetbeam PA40.

Personally, I have not used the LD41 or LD22, so I can;t say how well they'll work from first hand experience.

You could get the LD41 along with a smaller, floody light for close range work (the Zebralight H502 looks nice).

Last edited:

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your responses.

I would still like someone with experience with the LD41 or even with both lights to give some insight into which one to buy.

Thank you,

mesquita.mas

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I don't have any of the 2 lights but I have an LD40 and LD25.
The question is how much light you need and for how long and what you are ready to carry with you.
Both the the LD40 and LD25 get only little use by me because I have smaller lights that is enough most of the time.
When I use them I think the LD25 is easier to bring with me.
I don't know what lights you are used to but if it is something like a 2d incan then even the LD22 will be very bright.
I believe that 2xAA is enough for a lot of people and then it is easier to have in a pocket without noticing compared to a 4xAA light.
But if size isn't a problem the bigger light has more to offer.

Also think about UI. The two lights you are looking at are similar but if you compare the LD22 to the older model LD20 they are different.
I myself don't like lights with mode memory like the the LD12, LD22, LD41 and also my LD40.
I prefer the UI of the older LD20 (I don't have the LD20 but I have LD10)

Other people prefer the newer UI.
So there is no right or wrong or best UI but it's about what is best for you.
Just think it through how you will use your light.

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the help.

I have ordered the Fenix LD41.

Best regards,

mesquita.mas

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Good luck with your new light!
Please let us know your thoughts when you get it.
My guess is that you will be impressed! :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I hope you enjoy the new light! Make sure you have rechargeable AA batteries ready to get the most out of the light.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Truthfully, they're tough lights to compare since they are in different formats (2xAA vs. 4xAA). It really boils down to finding the right balance between size and lumens given your intended use.

You really couldn't go wrong either way, though, and I'm sure you'll love the LD41.

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for being so helpful and friendly, everyone that participated in my threads was amazing, CandlePowerForums blew my mind.

I also ordered 4 AA Eneloop batteries to get the most out of it. I will post my thoughts on the LD41, I am sure I will be very impressed, after all it is my first "good" fliashlight :).

Best regards,

mesquita.mas

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Oh man,, you should have ordered the 8-pack while you were ordering. LOL.

The store from which I ordered the flashlight does not sell the 8-pack. I have more rechargables at home to use as backup, while using the Eneloops as main batteries. I will purchase more Eneloops in the future.

Thank you very much for the insight anyway.

mesquita.mas

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
LD22 is compact, while LD41 is powerful. I prefer LD22 since i am in compact body.

junkyardrules

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD22 and recently purchased the LD41. Different lights for different uses. LD22 is lightweight and bright enough for most situations. I find the LD41 really heavy such that it's uncomfortable to carry in a front pocket. Why not just get both since you already purchased the LD41?

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestions, I am indeed thinking of purchasing the LD22 in the future :)

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
For 20% more money you get more than double the flashlight.

I disagree with this statement. They are in different classes, as exaggerated example, it's like comparing a shopping cart to a 18 wheel truck full of groceries. They both get food from point A to point B, but the scale that they transport on is completely different. If I had to pay for a shopping cart and a 18 wheel truck only cost 20% more to use than the shopping cart, I'd still use the shopping cart because I will never have a use for that much food capacity.

The same applies to lumens as well. With my Fenix Tk41, I realized to make use of the light output, I have to bring my binoculars with me to see the details in the hotspot. I got the TK41 thinking it was 30% more in cost than the Jetbeam PA40 but 2x the flashlight, but after I bought it, I realized the numbers don't really work that way.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I recently got yhe LD22 because I wanted a light that ran off AA batteries instead of CR123 lithiums or my rechargeable Streamlight Strion LED or Pelican LAPD 7060, which are very bright. it sees that the LD22 is about the same brightness as my Streamlight PolyTac LED, which runs off of 2 3v lithiums, and has a larger head diameter. At closer ranges, the PolyTac has a nicer hotspot, but the LD22 hotspot even on high/turbo is more useable and less blinding. If I shine the lights at the woods behind my house, which are about 100 feet away, I actually like the LD22 better. The LD22 provides more outside beam patern for peripheal (sp) viewing, and the hotspot is great for a 2 AA light with less than a 1 inch diameter lens. Just my .02, I probably would like to try the LD 41 sometime as well. I do like the beam brightness choices that Fenix LD lights have. Let us know how you like the LD41!!!

Last edited:

mesquita.mas

Newly Enlightened
Once again, thank you for helping and sharing your thoughts.

I received the LD41 today, and I must say I am impressed. It isn't the most portable flashlight but the double button mechanism (on/off + mode swtich) makes it very easy to use. The beam itself it very well defined, the center hotspot is great but it also has a very good flood. The construction quality seems very good, both outside and in the batteries contacts. I am really thinking about purchasing a LD22 in the future for a more portable light, Fenix really impressed me.

Overall I am very satisfied, but my opinion does not count that much since I have almost no experience with flashlights :p

mesquita.mas

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you liked the light!

IMO, now that you have a big one, go for a smaller 1 cell light that you can always have with you. Not sure if this still works, but you could get a LD22 and a LD12 body (the older models has switchable bodies).