maglite 2 d cell mod.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
hello, i am new to the forum....and to flashlight mods. i recently got a terralux for my 6 cell maglite. i have a two d cell i want to really use it on, as its alot shorter. my question is can i use 6 cr123 stacked up in pairs to power? thanks for any help. randy.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That module is designed around 9V (6 X 1.5V). Six CR123a cells would give you 18V (6 X 3V). You need three CR123a cells and they're 34mm long each, giving you a total stack height of 102mm. Two D cells would be about 130mm long so it'll fit in a sleeve with an inch long spacer. A better alternative would be to use two 18650 Li-Ion cells if you don't mind using rechargeable Lithium cells. Another alternative would be to use a 6AA to 2D adapter.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A 6AA to 2D adapter would probably be your best choice. Common batteries, and the voltage is also suitable for many drop-ins. There are also some 8AA to 2D adapters, but you might need to modify your Maglite for that.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
if i used two stacks of 6 cr123's with all the plus ends pointing to the front, wouldnt that only be 9volts....i was thinking that would be parallel and not series. i want to use cr123 cause i got lots of them and my other lights all use them. thanks, randy.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not sure of 2 CR123s in parallel will fit into the mag body but yes, 3 series 2 parallel would give you 9v, but then you'll also need an adapter for the cells to reach and contact the spring. 3 CR123s in series is more like 1.5 D in length.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it would be, and it'll fit with room to spare, did that before.
but be careful don't use cheap no name cells, they blow up more than any other kind of cells, some brands would even tell you don't use more than 2 in series.
use good quality brand name cells, and you be fine

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Not sure what I was thinking, they should fit just fine (D cells are 33mm thick while CR123s are 16mm thick). Yeah, make sure to use good quality cells.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
great, thanks fellas......i will post some photos of my adaptor. i plan on cutting it on my cnc machine. as for as a spacer, i have read some posts on how to make one. thanks for everyone that gave me some time to answer my thread. peace, randy.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
made my program to cut out my cr123 abaptor mod. i have some 1/8 g-10 i am going to use. will fire up my cnc this weekend and do the cutting. i will post update as i go. randy.
lite.jpg

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
gunner, thanks.......if it goes like i have planned, it should work good. randy.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
hello, got my g-10 cut......so far its a epic fail as the parts are so thin in the 3 places they just came apart......i shall continue on to see if i can still make it work. i am thinking the metal ends might hold the battery holder together...man i donno.....anyone have any ideas, i am very open to them. peace, randy.
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
after some glue, i think my adaptor will be ok......i made in two halfs, and a couple rubber bands should work. next i have to make the caps, and spacer. it fits in the maglite real nice. i will update when its completed. randy.
IMG_2909.jpg

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
thanks gunner....i have the posiitive end done, and i have to do the spacer "cap end". it will be more of a challenge because of the two cell ends. randy.

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
finally done....

got my terralux, 2 d cell mod done. i used a positive end d-cell cap jb-welded for one end and a modded negitive end for the other. i know it looks ghetto, but it works. as far as runtime, i will report back with info. i want to thank the fellas that helped me with questions.......alot of great people in these forums. peace, randy.
IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

axismonk

Newly Enlightened
forgot to show spacer..

forgot to show the spacer i made from 1/2in mdf wood.
IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg