A light for attaching to a dog harness

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I've been searching the web to no avail for a bright, omnidirectional light that is waterproof (at least IPX7) and takes AA or AAA (or other safe rechargeable) batteries.
My dogs have worn out more than a few cheap plastic clip lights and collars, but I just can't seem to find anything that's actually built to last which also takes rechargeables.

One idea I've had is to simply attach a Mini Mag LED sans the head, but I'm worried the waterproofness would be compromised.

My dogs are very obedient and free-roaming, but I'm visually impaired. I enjoy giving them a good deal of freedom in the woods at night, yet I often find myself calling them back when they're in fact standing right next to me.

Any ideas? The light doesn't have to be designed for use on dogs, as long as it works and meets my criteria:

• Rechargeable batteries
  • Waterproof
  • Omnidirectional

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: A light for mounting on a dog harness

The GloToob might work. They are built to be tough and there are two versions. One uses the A23 battery, the other uses a CR123 battery (not sure if 3.7v Li-ion batteries are supported).

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your dog is big enough, you can try this. What you'll need;

- Klarus Mi X6 or
- 4Sevens Preon
- Chapstick

You will be making a diffuser out of the Chapstick lid. Either glue it or tape it to the head and you'll have something that can be viewed from all-aspect.

Mi X6 has a strobe mode, while Preon has both strobe and beacon. With X6, it's rather straightforward--twist until you reach the strobe. It's a little trickier to access those modes with Preon, but it does have a beacon mode that will allow the light to run for eight hours, versus X6's two for strobe.

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

The GloToob might work. They are built to be tough and there are two versions. One uses the A23 battery, the other uses a CR123 battery (not sure if 3.7v Li-ion batteries are supported).

I'm afraid neither of those battery types are very easy to come by here in Sweden. Rechargeables are a big plus though, and since I plan on getting a Li-Ion charger soon for a TM11, I will definitely keep the lithium one in mind. (Their website states that rechargeables are supported, but not all may fit.)

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

If your dog is big enough, you can try this. What you'll need;

- Klarus Mi X6 or
- 4Sevens Preon
- Chapstick

You will be making a diffuser out of the Chapstick lid. Either glue it or tape it to the head and you'll have something that can be viewed from all-aspect.

Mi X6 has a strobe mode, while Preon has both strobe and beacon. With X6, it's rather straightforward--twist until you reach the strobe. It's a little trickier to access those modes with Preon, but it does have a beacon mode that will allow the light to run for eight hours, versus X6's two for strobe.

One (more or less) Jack Russell, one (more or less) Podengo Medio. Not large per sé, but it might work. I might even try this with some old AA Mini Mags.
I could strap them to the backs/tops of their harnesses with reusable zipties.
Here they are:
ad101ee43aa25ac3b5951a847c7f7ef8.png
5a6d6a79ba0b5a70a43b5c1b97e80a8d.png

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The Niteize is probably cheaper then the GloToob and 2016 coin cells are cheaply available online, it might be the better choice.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

++1 on the NiteIze, I have several and they're quite rugged. OTOH I have tried to come up w/ a way to keep the light on the back of my dogs neck so I can see him at a distance, no luck so far but I have considered making some sort of clip-on w/ a separate battery pack using a cheap headlamp.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Alternatively, I have this http://www.glowdoggie.com/home.html for my Lab. It actually is very bright at night and you can choose from a variety of colours. It's also stood up to everything a klutzy Labrador has thrown at it so there you go :)

That looks like it has a lot of potential, now let's see if I can find some good rechargeable AAAA's. :)

Edit:
Apparently those are very hard to come by... :rolleyes:

Last edited: