Longest run time '1xAA' and '1xAAA' lights

wjv

Enlightened
After reading the "Why is Fenix E05/E01 highly regarded as opposed to other AAA lights?" thread I was wondering, what is the longest run time, single illumination setting (no H/M/L/Strobe/SOS/. . ) light in a :

1xAA - configuration

1XAAA - configuration

Seems like it would be hard to beat the E01's 21 hour run time. Does anything beat the Fenix?

Shooter21

Enlightened
check out the foursevens quark 1aa, you get 10+ days of runtime. Im not sure about the longest running 1aaa.

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
It depends how many lumens you want. A zebra h502 can last weeks

Tapatalk @Xperia Arc S

wjv

Enlightened
I'm thinking around 5 or so lumens??

Just enough to find your way out of a restaurant, theater or to walk down a sidewalk or in an unlit stairway.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking around 5 or so lumens??

I going to venture to guess that it'll be something from Walmart, Costco or Home Depot. You got 2 opposing features here - longest runtime and single mode. A low low lumen will get you the runtime, for sure, but not many good, efficient manufacturers will stop with single mode low single digit light.

wjv

Enlightened
I going to venture to guess that it'll be something from Walmart, Costco or Home Depot.

That's why the Fenix E01's 21 hour run time seemed interesting. . . 10 lumen is reasonable for walking around, and 21 hours is pretty darn good. Just wondering if there was something better. . .

tam17

Enlightened
That's why the Fenix E01's 21 hour run time seemed interesting. . . 10 lumen is reasonable for walking around, and 21 hours is pretty darn good. Just wondering if there was something better. . .

Note that Fenix E01 runtime is composed of regulated runtime (10lm for around 7hrs) and a diminishing "moonlight mode", where this flashlight drops out of regulation and acts as a "battery vampire". The amount of light emitted in moonlight mode might not be enough for some tasks. Runtime also depends on the battery type, so it can basically be significantly longer if you use lithium primaries. Do some search...

Cheers

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want single level lights with great build quality be sure to check out Peak LED Solutions line up. They have variable level lights w QTC pills, or they can give you any one of eight pre-determined levels in a single level light - the lower the power level the higher the runtime. They have a range of metals the light body and head are made from - Aluminum, Brass, Stainless Steel. Since there are so many options it doesn't translate that well on the website - it's best to call Bob at RMSK.

Thrifty

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for 'absolute longest,' I have an Energizer L91 AA running a single 10mm red LED. It's quite throwy and 'end of runtime' will be completely subjective. But 10 lumens requires a definite current; around 30 mA from most single low-voltage cells on most drive circuits, especially with white LEDs.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you want single level lights with great build quality be sure to check out Peak LED Solutions line up. They have variable level lights w QTC pills, or they can give you any one of eight pre-determined levels in a single level light - the lower the power level the higher the runtime. They have a range of metals the light body and head are made from - Aluminum, Brass, Stainless Steel. Since there are so many options it doesn't translate that well on the website - it's best to call Bob at RMSK.

Thrifty

I believe that the single-level fixed-output versions below level #8 are now no longer in current production (although they might possibly be available for custom order directly from Curt at Peak?).

However, the newer variable-output QTC models do indeed have amazingly long runtime when dialed down low.

There is a Peak Logan runtime test post around here that lasted well over two weeks on a fresh CR123A primary ... :)

moozooh

Enlightened
AAA: Thrunite Ti 0.04 lm mode should last at least a week using a lithium primary; probably more, considering the graceful voltage downramping. Not sure about the 3 lm version, about two days or so?

AA: ZebraLight H502 runs for over a month on all sublumen modes using a lithium primary, should do about 5-6 days on the 2.7 lm mode, but it's probably insufficient for outside walks on dark surfaces.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
................ You got 2 opposing features here - longest runtime and single mode. A low low lumen will get you the runtime, for sure, but not many good, efficient manufacturers will stop with single mode low single digit light.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The good manufacturers with decent efficient drivers aren't going to offer just a single mode light. I think I'd just get whichever 1AA light you like and then only use the lower setting. Most of the time I find that is what I use anyhow around the house at night but always like the fact that I can turn it brighter if need be.

I have the Fenix LD15 (1AA) which is 2 modes (high and low). Very efficient and simple operation. High isn't as high as other 1AA lights on high but that's why it also gets a run time of 121 minutes on a freshly charged eneloop. Not sure what the run time on low would be.......perhaps around 35 hours or higher using the same efficiency data that I got while testing the high mode. I measured the low to be an estimated 6 lumens. Fenix specification states 8.

The Fenix LD15 with an Energizer L91 lithium battery is very light (as in not heavy) and is the light I take as backup to my headlamp when backpacking. 6 Lumens is enough light plus run time to make my way out of the forest in case of getting stranded away from base camp in the middle of the night.

Last edited: