Storage case for H502?

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I just got my H502 today. LOVE IT! What an amazing headlamp. This thing puts every headlamp I've ever experienced to shame! I'd like to keep it inside the pouch/bin in the driver door of my work truck. My concern is, from time to time people borrow my work truck and stick random things in the door bins. It wouldn't be unusual to find a pair of dirty/muddy gloves in there, etc. I'm looking for a plastic case to store the H502 in so it doesn't get all muddied or messy. So far, I'm going with an old eyeglasses case. I would like something a little smaller though. Maybe more slim, also smaller outside dimensions. Any ideas out there? What do you store your H502 in when you aren't using it? I'm sure with enough time on Google I'll find something, I just thought I'd check with the guru's before buying something sub-par. :thumbsup: I checked the ZL website. I'm kinda surprised they don't make something specific for this purpose. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I store mine in a mini camera case with zipper. I think I got it at Staples or Office Max, have also seen them at Walmart.

You're right, Zebralight does need to make a custom pouch. They miss opportunities on selling accessories.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart and office supply stores sell small, flexible pencil cases with a zipper. I have several flashlights protected that way.

srfreddy

Enlightened
If you wanted to go fancy, you could get a pelican case and make a cutout for the light, headband, and extra batteries.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I carry a ZL inside my "manbag" (purse) I'll often unscrew the battery cap a quarter turn, turn the light inward facing the silicone holder, then wind the headband around the light lengthwise and secure with a rubber band. Protects the head and lens of the light. A sort of self-storage option.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about making a case with some pvc tubing? Glue a cap on one and get a threaded connector and cap for the top.

jorgen

Enlightened
This tube is a perfect fit for my sc51 as well as many other small lights http://www.countycomm.com/tube.html
Their shipping charge is not cheap but they had some other interesting stuff so i was able to place an order.

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, that's a ton of excellent ideas! I really appreciate it. I especially like the idea of PVC. I have some less graceful colleagues. I wouldn't have to worry much with that set-up! I would also get to enjoy making it/putting it together. Thanks for the excellent ideas to chew over. Once I settle on one I'll post it up and let you guys know what I think. The Pelican case would be good except I'm afraid if someone stuck a pair of pliers in the door they may crack it. I'm not sure how thick/durable they are. Anything like a "CD Jewel Case" wouldn't stand much of a chance. I also have A TON of padding I could install in anything I build... Hmmm.

Thanks again!!

srfreddy

Enlightened
I'm not sure what you mean by "sticking a pair of pliers in the door". Are saying you're afraid the pelican case would get crushed? The boxes claim to be waterproof, and look pretty solid to me.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you mean by "sticking a pair of pliers in the door". Are saying you're afraid the pelican case would get crushed? The boxes claim to be waterproof, and look pretty solid to me.

Yeah basically if someone dropped a pair of pliers onto this case from 12 or 14 inches, would that crack it? I'd store the light (inside a case) in the door pocket in my truck. These are oversized door pockets. It's not uncommon for people to get in and toss their stuff down into there with some force. It may be a 4 inch pair of needle nose but it may be a 10" pair of linesman pliers, which is a different story..

As of now I mounted one of the holders on a hardhat and have been keeping the light there. This is a temporary fix though. I still need to decide where I need the light most (cab vs. work space in truck), then I'll figure how to carry it. Ultimately I may end up with 2 of them. One to keep in my hardhat and one to keep in the strap in the truck cab or something. I'm all about being fast and efficient while I work, I have at least 2 of every hand tool already. I see where this is going...

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'd have no problem with a Pelican case. But also take a look at Black Ribbon Cases for less expensive options. I don't own one, but they comes in several small sizes that would work for a ZebraLight headlamp and look very durable. I can't link to them (not allowed on forum), but if you Google "black ribbon case" or "black ribbon cases" you should get a lot of hits. They cost anywhere from $7 to $10 each for small ones. You can also do a Google image search on the same terms and see quite a few images of them.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Otterbox cases are also very good, comparable in price and features to Pelican cases. They make a different set of sizes and lid orientations though.

david57strat

Enlightened
If you wanted to go fancy, you could get a pelican case and make a cutout for the light, headband, and extra batteries.

Agreed. Pelican cases are practically indestructible, and relatively inexpensive (in the smaller sizes). You wouldn't regret the investment. I keep my 18650 batteries in one of the stock 1010 cases, and it's pretty airport-friendly, with the clear top. They're water-proof,crush proof, dust-proof, and air-tight - they'll even float, as long as you don't exceed the rated weight limit of the case!. Excellent, professional quality cases.

101_2594800800.jpg

101_2607800800.jpg

101_2602800800.jpg