Medical use

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
My wife is a Nurse -Practitioner. In the earlier days of LED flashlights she was not impressed as when she
would use them they would alter the color of whatever she was inspecting....open wound, skin tones, etc.

Lately, she seems to be OK when looking at inner ears, some lesions, etc.
I have two FENIX lights, Upgraded Maglites [140 lumens], and an Ultrafire.
They all seem to now be OK with her.

I wonder what Paramedic and medical folks here are using and their comments about
LED flashlights used for medical purposes?

Thanks

Cactus Man

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Not really sure if this will help you at all, however I had thought that it may be worth a try. I entered the word "medical" in to the Google Search CPF Only box situated at the top left of the page, and here are the results that it came up with. A few of them looked as though they may be of some assistance to you! Hope it helps some!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get her something from Peak with Nichia 219.

219's neutral beam tint and plus high color rendition index will allow your wife to perform inspections as if sunny daylight was shining.

Lucciola

Enlightened
I needed something for a similar application. About my background: Apart from my daytime job I am active for the red cross as volunteer in civil disaster protection. I am not a fully qualified paramedic with ample experience but at least I got some above average first aid training. We are trained to assist the professionals in large-scale disasters. So please do not take my post as expert opinion but just as personal thoughts.

In my jacket I carry a Preon II High CRI. I never need the maximum brightness, low and mid are plenty enough. But if you need more power it's a nice bonus to be able to light up a whole room with it, if needed. The "ballpen" size and operation make it comfortable to carry and use. The foursevens High-CRI preons have a very warm tint (quite yellow/orange).
I do also have a neutral and a cool white Preon II (gotta love this light). I tried all of them and the warm high-CRI light is IMHO the best for rendering different red shades as with human skin or when looking in a throat.

However please do *not* use this light for a pupillary reflex test! My instructor told me that LED lights are normally too bright for this application and to remain safe should be avoided. I also asked an oculist about this showing him my Preon and he also confirmed that he regards even the low setting as too bright for a pupil test. For this use he recommended special, cheap incandescent diagnosis lights (also ballpen style powered with 2xAAA).
We have these diagnosis lights in our first-aid backpacks, so there's no need for me to carry one in my pocket.

My second light in my jacket is a Quark "X" 123² tactical, set to medium and maximum. This is not for use on a patient but for general use and orientation.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
A modified Surefire A2 (incandescent) hybrid with Calipsoli's (variable) aftermarket 5mm LED ring fitted out with high CRI LEDs would be really sweet, a FiveMega Strion upgrade (if able) would be beneficial as well IHMO ;)

In my jacket I carry a Preon II High CRI.

[snip]

I do also have a neutral and a cool white Preon II (gotta love this light).

However please do *not* use this light for a pupillary reflex test! My instructor told me that LED lights are normally too bright for this application and to remain safe should be avoided.

Never have been a fan of shining lights into people's eyes (for pupil reactionary tests) I've always preferring to utilize the edge of the beam's corona and shade with my palm to vary brightness... each to his own I guess ;)

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight makes a ProTac 1AA EMS that has three levels: 3.6, 10 & 50 lumens. I got for an EDC because I like the fact that it starts out on low instead of high. I've carried it for over a year now as my EDC, and it has worked well. Most of the time I don't even feel it in my pants pocket, and it hasn't worn a hole in anything either.

Latest posts