How does the Spark ST6 stack up against the Zebralight H600?

witness

Newly Enlightened
I need a headlamp that I can safely leave in my car (which sometimes gets VERY hot in the summer time). I really like my ZL H600 but feel the 18650 battery poses a hazard so I'm looking for something comparable that uses CR123 or AA primaries. Is Spark ST6 worth a try and has anyone compared it to the H600?

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How does the Spark SD6 stack up against the Zebralight H600?

I need a headlamp that I can safely leave in my car (which sometimes gets VERY hot in the summer time). I really like my ZL H600 but feel the 18650 battery poses a hazard so I'm looking for something comparable that uses CR123 or AA primaries. Is Spark SD6 worth a try and has anyone compared it to the H600?

I thought the SD6 was also an 18650 cell type? I don't know whether the 18650 is particularly susceptible to heat, have you checked? The reason I ask is because lithium primaries are often recommended for high heat applications. I don't know the difference rechargeable LiIon chemistry would make from primary Lithium cells in this case.

I'm interested in your question because I also live in a hot climate and sometimes my gear gets left in the car or in the sun. Heat is death on many sorts of batteries.

I often use an externally stored alkaline primary for those lights exposed to heat--because it's painless to toss an AA alkaline, they're so cheap. I've not yet had an alkaline leak OUTSIDE a device. They always seem to leak inside, particularly when there's heat. So I just keep cells the heck out of devices that are stored in the car. Or, I go with lithium primaries.

If you're looking for a floody, you might check out the SD52, a 2AA light from Spark? It's reasonably bright, although not so much more than the 1AA zebralights.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought the SD6 was also an 18650 cell type? I don't know whether the 18650 is particularly susceptible to heat, have you checked? The reason I ask is because lithium primaries are often recommended for high heat applications. I don't know the difference rechargeable LiIon chemistry would make from primary Lithium cells in this case.

I'm interested in your question because I also live in a hot climate and sometimes my gear gets left in the car or in the sun. Heat is death on many sorts of batteries.

I often use an externally stored alkaline primary for those lights exposed to heat--because it's painless to toss an AA alkaline, they're so cheap. I've not yet had an alkaline leak OUTSIDE a device. They always seem to leak inside, particularly when there's heat. So I just keep cells the heck out of devices that are stored in the car. Or, I go with lithium primaries.

If you're looking for a floody, you might check out the SD52, a 2AA light from Spark? It's reasonably bright, although not so much more than the 1AA zebralights.

You dont want to store LI Ion batteries like 18650's, RCR123's 14500's in high heat like in a car on a hot summer day. Even NiMh batteries like the LSD Sanyo Eneloops are not supposed to be kept in hot conditions because it will reduce their life, but I think its probably even more important not to store Li Ion batteries in hot conditions, for safety reasons and for reduced life.

witness

Newly Enlightened

Heat is going to reduce the life of any battery (with the exception of a lead battery). The ONLY issue for me is safety.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened

I have both lights and can tell you that even though the Zebralight is a little bit brighter, I find myself using the Spark more often because I just love the T-shape that it has. It is very convenient when you use a cap or a hood. That said, those 2 are extremely well built lights and even though the Spark is 500 lumens, I assure you those 500lm are plenty enough. So I guess it is just a matter of taste - which form factor do you prefer - the T-shape Spark, or the Zebralight? If I have the chance I will make some beamshots of the two, but I don't promise.
:thumbsup: