What new features should flashlight manufacturers consider on their next model?

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened
If you had the power to design whatever features you wanted into your next flashlight, what would you come up with? What would enhance your overall flashlight experience and keep you awake at night to mess with it just a little longer? Ideas are welcome, so feel free to think big here. If anyone makes fun of you for what he thinks is a silly idea, I will in turn make fun of that person on your behalf, and I will be more skillful at it...so fear not and don't hold back.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've wished for more lights to have a timed "off" feature. My LF2XT has it (3 min.), the Photon Proton Pro, Freedom, and ReX also, and the NiteEyes MiniMag clickie, too. I think HDS does it, but that's it. Seems like most people would like this.

Geoff

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would design a simple high/low (or low/high) UI, with an option to activate a moon mode or strobe with an intentional manipulation of the switch.

For example, the Surefire Fury has first click low, second click high, third click low, etc. I would add a third mode (maybe a triple click?) that would activate a moon mode (or strobe depending on the user's preference).

I'm not a fan of having to cycle through 5 disco modes to get where you want.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the idea of having a flashlight that would function normally with batteries inserted backwards, like the Niteye TS20.

tam17

Enlightened
Easy-to-use, efficient battery status indicators, cradle-less/cordless charging and "soft" power on/off.

Cheers

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the programmable "off" feature as well as a battery charge indicator. Very useful for me.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
High current and constant flat regulation until the end.
Nice tints with tons of flood.
Moonlight modes.
Not so many modes.

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I really like the locater/voltage indicator on my nitecore EA1. I also love the fact that it can be turned on and utilized for a moonlight mode.

jamie.91

Enlightened
I for one would like the option of fewer modes, 1 or 2 most, mainly because they would apply to non flashaholics more

As an example my dad loves his lumapower LM31

Jamie

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Double stage switch kinda like a camera button. I like the Zebralight user interface but would like to expand on it.
From off:

• Half press for momentary, full press for on (forward clickie)
    • Not sure what output would be best for momentary. Last output level? Always low? Always high? Could be user defined...
  • Everything else will still be similar to Zebralight's UI. Hold at full press for low mode, Click to full press for high mode.

When on:

• Half press to switch modes. (reverse clickie)
  • Double tap to switch within the mode (Double half presses, High 1 -> High 2)
  • Half press and Hold to active programming of the current mode (Half presses and keep it at half press)
    • Withing the programming menu, tap to switch between the options and full press to select it (two options in this menu, constant output or strobe).
    • Half press and hold to ramp output (or toggle between set levels) or strobe frequency.
      • I prefer toggling between set levels to ramping. This way I know exactly what output and runtime I'll be getting
  • Tap and hold to activate beacon mode (half press, then half press and hold)
    • Beacon mode means the light will blink at low levels and around 1 Hz when off.
    • The light will blink to indicate the toggling on or off of beacon mode.

To reset the light to stock, maybe hold at full press for 5 seconds?

Of course, there would only be three modes, and each mode will only have two submodes. Not meant to be a tactical interface.

As for twisties, the Thrunite Ti has it right IMO, twist for on, twist more for high. If you want fancy blinky modes, maybe a quick high-low-high can be used for "hidden" modes. Not sure how hard this might be to wire up and program.

Maybe that makes the lights too complex or too pricy, but I would like to see a light with a dual stage switch.

Overall, I'd love to see more High CRI lights the switching thing can wait.

Last edited:

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
Concentrate on getting the basics right:

* Well engineered optics to shape the beam profile to task.( Example; a path light that evenly illuminates from your next step out to 12 meters.)

* Light quality; HI CRI LED.

* Well placed and simple to access; 3 or 4 lumen levels considered for specific tasks.

* Efficient drivers, well managed heat at max power levels.

* As compact and comfortable as possible considering battery/runtime.

* Just well designed KISS engineering.

recycledelectrons

Newly Enlightened
I would like Mag to copy the thriving market in P60 drop-ins. Imagine if Mag hired one or two decent engineers from some of the tactical flashlight companies, and redesigned the LEDs they sell for Mag Lites.

Mag could sell lots of drop-in modules.

How many drop-in modules would it take to make it worth Mag's time to do a production run? 1,000? 10,000? The new manufacturing methods allow very small production runs (e.g., 50) to be profitable. The only limits are the costs of engineering, testing, and supporting these modules. These modules would, in turn, sell lots of new Mag Lites, and lots of rebranded "Mag 10AH 5c D-Cells" that used to have Tenergy logos on them.

One more thing, Mag, don't waste our time with LEDs that need a certain voltage. Aftermarket P60 drop-ins run from 3.7V to 18.0V. Your LEDs should not be rated for a number of cells.

The current mag-compatible drop-ins (that really do drop-in) have heat problems, so put a thermsistor that cuts the power a bit when they start to overhear.

Eventually, Mag could come out with a "New Mag Lite" with a better heat-sink and a dual-switch (on/off and mode) that would otherwise look like the old Mag Lites everyone grew up with. Could the mode switch will be removable and separate from the emitter somehow?

I for one would like the option of fewer modes, 1 or 2 most

I agree. I need full-on or I need a map light. I refuse to buy 5-mode lights, because they will not do what I need when I really need them.

Double stage switch kinda like a camera button. I like the Zebralight user interface but would like to expand on it.
From off:

• Half press for momentary, full press for on (forward clickie)

I agree.

Momentary and on/off is good.

The real problem with too many modes is the lack of a simple UI. I wish everyone would agree on one UI (like we agree on click-switches that are either on the tail or on the side near the front.)

bladesmith3

Enlightened
i also agree on less modes. no strobe for me. as bright as possible without overheating. multi battery compatible. simple forward clicky. available in haIII and other metals. high quality, built to take knocks.
Momentary and on/off is good.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
One that's infinitely adjustable from .5 to 2000 lumes and will do it on 2 18650 batteries and will run on max for a least 1 hr. I also want lots of throw and spill with a weight under 300 grams.:)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wished for more lights to have a timed "off" feature. My LF2XT has it (3 min.), the Photon Proton Pro, Freedom, and ReX also, and the NiteEyes MiniMag clickie, too. I think HDS does it, but that's it. Seems like most people would like this.

Geoff

I love the 10 minute turn off feature on the HDS. I never worry about accidental turn on while carrying it because I keep it on a low mode and the timer shuts it off way before the battery goes flat if it does activate.

I've also been carrying my PD32. I love the side switch for modes. If the low was a moonlight and the 2 middle modes were spaced out more between the moonlight and the max it would be dang near perfect. I love the HDS but it can be intimidating for the rest of my household, the Fenix I can sum it up in one sentence and hand it to the kids or wife.

Last edited: