Can I replace my Alkaline AAA's with recharhgeable AAA's in 1.5v?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Powerex mind have some since I have 1.6v powerex's in AA but didn't find any.

I can't use rechargeables for the remote for my car alarm as it doesn't last long and I hate using
no rechargeable batteries. What are my options and how long would the rechargeable last compared
to normal alkalines?

Thanks

George

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm not aware of any good rechargeable AAAs that go above 1.2v, but Energizer Lithium AAAs last a very long time in low-power applications like remote controls. There's nothing to feel guilty about if you use those.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I thought Powerex mind have some since I have 1.6v powerex's in AA but didn't find any.

I can't use rechargeables for the remote for my car alarm as it doesn't last long and I hate using
no rechargeable batteries. What are my options and how long would the rechargeable last compared
to normal alkalines?

Thanks

George
Sorry but without more information I don't have a clue. There are many factors to account for that are unknown to me such as operating voltage range, current draw and if there is perhaps standby current draw (vampiric).
Have you tried eneloop (LSD nimh) batteries? When current draw drops below about 50-100ma alkalines can surpass nimh batteries in runtime but higher currents start favoring nimh. As far as the voltage nimh off the charger are up to about 1.4v and then settled after resting to about 1.35v or so with LSD versions maintaining higher voltage longer than standard nimh batteries. Some devices however designed for alkaline batteries (poorly) don't operate well when the voltage drops below 1.3v/cell which makes for short runtimes off nimh and some give battery warnings at 1.3v or so but nimh will run a long time with the low battery indicator on those types of devices.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've used eneloops but they don't last long. Not that it matters but I tend to procrastinate changing them and it runs out
and gives me trouble.

Alkalines it is then :)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is what you have are "Powergenix" nickel-zinc batteries, not Powerex, which are NiMH's. I use them in our digicams for the higher voltage, as they won't come close to using all of the charge in an Eneloop, only the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the charge. It is like having rechargable Energizer L91's, but with less capacity.

Unfortunately, they seem to have tanked, and are not on the market anymore, and never got far enough along to produce a AAA version of the cells.

Energizer L92's would be the best solution, but may cost more than alkalines in the long run, depending on how much of the capacity of the alkaline is really being used by the device. But they won't wreck the device by leaking, which the alkalines eventually will. Most remotes run years on a coin cell, so I would think that the L92's would be darn near a one-time investment for a remote like that. Add to that that they will still perform well at extreme high and low temperatures, and I would recommend trying them at least once.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're prolly right about the brand name, my memory is very so, so :)

My remote does take a bit more juice because I use it all the time and I always start and unlock/lock with the remote so no, it won't run years on a coin cell and it's not that
I'm looking for a way to save money or anything else, like I said, I'm a bit lazy and keep running it till it's empty and then of course it won't work right so I was
just looking for something for longer runtime.
Alkalines are it but I hate throwing away batteries.

I'll look into these energizers, thanks :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say exactly but maybe 3 months..

Eneloops last around a month or 6 weeks or so

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
HobbyKing has started selling their own NiZn batteries.
I've yet to see a review though and you'll have to find your own charger. AFAIK you can parallel two batteries and charge as a single cell PB battery.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Can't say exactly but maybe 3 months..

Eneloops last around a month or 6 weeks or so
I am betting that alkalines only last about 50% longer than eneloops and that the drain rate is low enough to give you close to to the full capacity of about 2800mah vs 1900mah for eneloops. My advice is use eneloops and pick a day of the month to swap them out like clockwork even if they are not fully discharged or invest in the 2400mah eneloops.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Do a search for eneloop XX, I think amazon has some for about $17 for 4. They are costlier for the extra capacity (1/4 more) such that most just buy plain eneloops (1900mah) instead which have 1/3 less. Immedian has some 2400s that are cheaper but I am not sure how they hold up some like them last I heard. If it was me I would have 2 sets of them and just keep a spare set nearby for a quick swap (perhaps in the car itself).

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I keep extra batteries but you would have to know what an idiot I am to understand the reasoning for this.

Anyway, the capacity you're talking about must be AA's, not AAA's which is what I needed...or?

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I believe Lynx Arc made a little mistake here and forgot that you were looking for AAAs and not AAs :oops:.
There are only 800mAh eneloop AAAs AFAIK.

fyrstormer

Banned
Energizer Lithium batteries will last a year or more in the same application, based on my experience. And they will never leak, unlike alkalines, which always leak if you ignore them long enough.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I believe Lynx Arc made a little mistake here and forgot that you were looking for AAAs and not AAs :oops:.
There are only 800mAh eneloop AAAs AFAIK.

Oops... my bad that is what I get for multitasking too much :eek:
They don't have any larger capacity eneloop AAAs but at 800mah they are similar in runtime difference to AAs perhaps 30-40% or so longer on alkalines I would guess.

Wrend

Enlightened
My advice: get a different car alarm. :thumbsup:

It likely doesn't use alkalines efficiently either, which probably have a lot of their capacity left in them still when you hit the low voltage cutoff.

Your best bet is probably using lithium primaries, which, if the above is the case, should last a lot longer.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but I like my alarm. I've been able to turn the truck on and hence, the AC, from inside of the elevator in our local hospital :)

This is not a big issue mind you but I was curious and yeah, I think I'll try a set of those lithiums. Found 4 for 11 bucks shipped on amazon :)

Thanks yall and someone slap the hell outta Lynx_Arc for not paying attention :devil: