Tri-V on Mountain Bike?

TinyCrumb

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone has attempted this before.

I'm going to be doing a 24 hour mountain bike race with some friends in September. As you can imagine, half the race is in the dark. I've never messed with bike lighting before … but it got me thinking that the Tri-V could be the perfect bike light for this application.

I have the rail mount already for it. And it looks like tripod handlebar mounts are pretty easy to come by.

What do you think? Stupid idea? Not bright enough?

Also, would a regular Spy 007 fill the role? Any better or any worse than the Tri-V?

Thanks!

blackfly

Enlightened
I experimented with mounting my Tri-V to my bike with a Twofish Cycloblocks & it seemed to fit ok. But I would never have actually used it as a bike light because I thought that bike riding would subject it to sudden jolts and vibrations from the road. This would be more of a concern if riding off road. Also, the Tri-V isn't waterproof. If your race is in September, there may be rain.

Flashlight Enthusiast
24 hour races require a light, and a backup light, and you will need a ton lumens and runtime

this is where a top end NiteRider pays off...24 hour racing...

yah, that is not a good idea to use a TriV or Spy.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm sure it would work fine, if you were willing to replace a $2000 flashlight when you crash. Also, the Tri-V doesn't have shock-absorbing springs on the circuit board, so the circuit board takes a hit every time the batteries slam into it.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my 007 on my bike when I first got the light. I now use a Lupine Betty with 7 XM-L 2600 lumens. This is an awesome light for riding in the dark. I carry my Tri-V in my pocket and use it often when looking off the trail.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be put on the bike but as they said, it is not water proof. You could put it on the side of your helmet and have ready a baggie to wrap around it with a rubber band if the rain starts. Do not forget to use the locknut on the GPA (not the thumb screw) and use a tether for backup.

It does not have enough power for my preference to be the sole illumination at night time on a bike. But either a Tri-V or a 007 makes a great helmet head light.

Cheers
Dave

fyrstormer

Banned
I may be underestimating the strength of the mini-picatinny rails on the underside of the light, but it looks like one good crash would tear the mounting bracket off the rails, ruining the rails for good.

Tanin

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone has attempted this before.

I'm going to be doing a 24 hour mountain bike race with some friends in September. As you can imagine, half the race is in the dark. I've never messed with bike lighting before … but it got me thinking that the Tri-V could be the perfect bike light for this application.

I have the rail mount already for it. And it looks like tripod handlebar mounts are pretty easy to come by.

What do you think? Stupid idea? Not bright enough?

Also, would a regular Spy 007 fill the role? Any better or any worse than the Tri-V?

Thanks!

I would suggest a dedicated bike light. Ideally, one light for your handlebar (flood) and another for your helmet (more spot). Like another poster, I also use the Lupine Betty 2600 lumens on my bar with a 26° lens and a Wilma 1300 lumens on my helmet (22° lens). That combination works beautifully together and lets me run full out on nearly any trail. The led boards on most of the Lupine lights can also be upgraded as technology improves. Another option a few of my buddies use are from Ay Up. Not as bright but also not as expensive.

Lupine
http://www.lupine.de/web/en/

Ay Up
http://www.ayup-lights.com/

Endurance races are a blast. Are you registered for solo or team ?