China stars

cpf user

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have long-term (12 months) experience with the China 3-watt stars that are under $1 USD each?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the Chinese 'cheap' LEDs are either Epistar or Bridgelux, or a knock-off of either. I've used a lot for various projects, and there are some thngs to watch out for. First, color tends to suck with Chinese 3-watts. Unless you are just trying to throw lumens at something don't trust kelvin ratings or CRI ratings. Next, don't even try to run a 3watt Chinese LED over 700mA. Last, the mounting of the emitter to the star tends to always be flaky with the real cheap stars. While I've encountered my share of 'basement reflow' jobs that fall apart by and large the higher end emitters tend to have higher quality mounting.

In short, if you can get them real cheap, they're worth 'beater projects'. At 700mA they'll run fine and I have hundreds running over 20k hours.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep

More expensive ones tend to be more efficient, not more durable. Although I have no idea why anybody would pay $2.50 for an Epistar when a Rebel ES costs $3.00

cpf user

Newly Enlightened
Update on usage:

China is the country, not the brand; They are from:
http://hanhualed.en.alibaba.com/product/611898092-209875758/3w_660nm_led_of_superior_lumens.html

Now after having used hundreds of them for several months, I'd say they are a very good deal. No customer returns, and only one "bad" LED that was visibly dim during testing.

One puzzling thing: We use a constant current 700ma supply (also from china) which handles 1 or 2 stars. The stars are all binned at "30-40 lm", and sure enough, whether 1 or 2 stars per supply, they are all visibly identical. However, the heat output of the supply and the LED heatsink varies drastically from one to the next. One can be lukewarm, while the next one almost too hot to hold. However the brightness is visibly identical (we don't use meters).

I'm guessing that the variable-ness in the LEDs is causing the supplies to adjust power greatly in order to reach the 700ma, but once the 700ma is achieved, the lumens are in the proper range. Does this sound right, or is it possible that the lumens are actually drastically different and we just can see it without meters?

tmsled

Newly Enlightened
Epistar and Bridgelux are mostly used in our china. the price for Epistar is $0.2 for 1 wattage here. yes. i have one questions to ask you guys,

as for the tubes, are there anyone know at what centigrade it can work normarlly ??

thanks