Melt retinas 18650 weapon mounted

hedonistic

Newly Enlightened
I just found a MSAR gen 4 and want to mount a light. I think I want a 2X 18650 that mount in 1 inch rings... I prefer something that I can get a tailcap tape switch for and will mount on extra tall rings. I think I can get away with a large head that way. I want over 700 OTF lumens. I am open to suggestions.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found a MSAR gen 4 and want to mount a light. I think I want a 2X 18650 that mount in 1 inch rings... I prefer something that I can get a tailcap tape switch for and will mount on extra tall rings. I think I can get away with a large head that way. I want over 700 OTF lumens. I am open to suggestions.

Why do you want 2x18650? I don't own any handguns, but I can't imagine the PCB on the front cell will take kindly to 100 grams of battery pounding it. Are you after 18650 for the runtime? Power output? Cheap operation cost?

Runtime - What are your requirements?
output - floody, throwy? Modes (eugh)?
Operation cost - how often are you at the range? Or are you in the military?

moozooh

Enlightened
I believe weapon-mounted lights have to be throwy. I don't think serial Li-ions would make sense from a safety standpoint. If anything they should be inserted into a padded carrier.

I'd suggest looking at ThruNite's tactical series, namely Scorpion v2.

Last edited:

recycledelectrons

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure there are better lights out there for much more money, but I use DX part number 39736.
<link deleted so the advertisers can sell over-priced junk>
The only downside is that this emitter is limited to a 4.2V, or I would swap out the body of this WF-502B light for a WF-502D light.

I've got a Klarus XT11 on order, so I'll soon know if the $63 lights are better than the $21 lights.

Regardless, I'll probably stay with P60 drop-ins. I've found that weapon-mounted lights last as long as the weapons (i.e., many, many years...I still have a few old shotguns with 12 LED lights on them.) That means that LED and battery technology will advance A LONG WAY before you want to replace the physical mounts or the tube that holds the light together. A replaceable drop-in makes upgrading easy.

Last edited:

recycledelectrons

Newly Enlightened
Two more tips for weapons-mounted lights.

(1) There's more to mounting a large and heavy light than physical fit. The mount must be able to handle the recoil with that heavy light. Mounts that handle AA lights will bend under 18650 lights. Mounts that handle 18650 lights will be destroyed with larger lights.

(2) When storing the guns in a safe, use lithium primaries or remove the batteries. Anything else will run down before you pull it out again.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried it, but I'd feel comfortable mounting a Malkoff Hound Dog on an MD4 body onto an AR. With a tough LaRue offset mount, there should be enough clearance for the head.

It is compatible with surefire XM07 tailcaps, which accept their tape switches that simply plug into the tailcap. The tape switches are available in different lengths.

That seemed like a good opportunity to see how photo posting works on this forum, and a good reason for a break from work. The light mount is a LaRue LT606 with 1" rings.

Ya, it's only an MD3 body, the MD4 hasn't arrived yet.

HoundDogon68.jpg

Grizz

Last edited:

hedonistic

Newly Enlightened
Why do you want 2x18650? I don't own any handguns, but I can't imagine the PCB on the front cell will take kindly to 100 grams of battery pounding it. Are you after 18650 for the runtime? Power output? Cheap operation cost?

Runtime - What are your requirements?
output - floody, throwy? Modes (eugh)?
Operation cost - how often are you at the range? Or are you in the military?

I want rechargables and lots of power, not for a handgun for a rifle, run time is inconsequential, trrowy, 1 mode is fine, I am a civilian contractor about to go to Afghanistan

hedonistic

Newly Enlightened
I believe weapon-mounted lights have to be throwy. I don't think serial Li-ions would make sense from a safety standpoint. If anything they should be inserted into a padded carrier.

I'd suggest looking at ThruNite's tactical series, namely Scorpion v2.

I have been doing this and other gigs with an inexpensive charger and Li-ions for a while. If I can't sit next to the charger I just trow in some CR123a's. Stored and charged right I do not know of anyone having problems. I did see the aftermath of a surefire incandescent haphazardly thrown in a locker, cordura and nylon sure stink when they burn.

hedonistic

Newly Enlightened
Good advise all around 5.56 is not much recoil, the gun will not be going in a safe the whole time I am in country.