direct drive issues

pimaxc

Newly Enlightened
So I retrofitted an old 2D water tight plastic light I found at work with an XP-G in direct drive. It's MUCH MUCH brighter now (though that is not saying much), however it does have a flicker. I think it may be due to an inconsistent draw off the batteries as it doesn't seem to correlate to motion or anything. Am I right in thinking that putting a capacitor in there might be able to smooth out the power fluctuations?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spotty solder joints flicker with motion. Does it flicker while sitting on a desk?

LEDs can flicker constantly if they are overdriven or overheating. D cells don't usually flicker unless they're crummy or weak. Try with some new ones; and check your current draw. If you're over 500 mA you'll overheat the LED. But the Ds should deliver 1 amp for a little while. If you're slurping too much current, a small resistor would help - 1 ohm or less should do. Does the LED blue-shift?

Trevtrain

Enlightened
What cells are you using?

Sometimes older NiCADs were known to flicker as they discharged. I recall reading something about crystalline deposits inside the cell disolving and causing irregular output.

Just a long shot guess.

pimaxc

Newly Enlightened
it flickers sitting still. They are alkaline batteries, probably older and I don't think there is a blue shift it's a pretty neutral white. I'll try the resistor and test the amp draw.

pimaxc

Newly Enlightened
It's about 250mA draw off the batteries.so I'm doubting it's an issue of overdriving the LED.