A cognac-aholic post that resembles very much how I currently deal with flashlights

ico

Enlightened
Someone asked "Where would be the best place to start for someone new to Cognac and for a middle price range"

and turkeypants' reply was:

Middle price range, HA HA! That term is meaningless, and more so every day. Get ready to embark on an odyssey of price distortion.

For someone who is used to a $22 bottle of liquor, taking a step up to the high 30s or high ..................

Source.

Abbreviated to comply with our rules - Empath

5. Posting articles and links
Articles from other sources are welcome. Links to other websites are welcome. Do NOT post the entire article on CPF! 9 times out of 10, this would be an infringement on copyright. Limit what you post to around 100 words and then post a link to the original source. Always post a link to the original source!

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ah, but that's the endless dream and nightmare of our grown-up, refined hobbies - there's more out there. You're always midway through the journey, well-versed enough to explain the basics to someone new, but the next steps are daunting and expensive and enigmatic and exciting..

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be into Single Malt Whisky (not Whiskey) ... I had well over fifty different bottles and some were kept hidden away from the big cabinet ... There is nothing worse than having to give a glass of the very expensive stuff to someone who wants to put Dry-Ginger or Green-Ginger in with it ... A little drop of still water (bottled near the distillery) is perfectly accepable though ... As I got to develop a particular taste for the peaty ones , it meant that more (non-peaty) were available for the visitors ... Eventually there were only good ones left (mostly cask-strength) and I had to tell lies that I had gone off Malt Whisky and was into Brandy instead ... I bought ordinary Brandy and Cognac (Liddls) and alcoholic Stones Green Ginger Wine and everyone was happy ... I had a glass of the Cognac and Green Ginger when friends came round and when we had no visitors I had proper Whisky ...

It is so nice when everyone is happy !

scout24

Flashaholic
I haven't had a drink in 24 years, but could eerily relate to that VERY relevant post here in the wonderful world of flashlights... (007 in my pocket as I type... :eek: :p ) Great post...

(This should be stickied, and required reading for registration here... :) )

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Ha!! That was totally my trip here!

My first fancy light and what led me here was a Fenix P3D Q5, for $65. I thought that was expensive. One of my first posts here was asking how ANYONE could pay $500 for a Titan, as that was totally ridiculous. :wow:

A few Fenixes, Nitecores....then a couple incan SFs...then HDSs...then Muyshondt, McGizmo, and Mac! Now $500 seems like a reasonable price for any worthwhile EDC light. :shakehead:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be into Single Malt Whisky (not Whiskey) ... I had well over fifty different bottles and some were kept hidden away from the big cabinet ... There is nothing worse than having to give a glass of the very expensive stuff to someone who wants to put Dry-Ginger or Green-Ginger in with it ... A little drop of still water (bottled near the distillery) is perfectly accepable though ... As I got to develop a particular taste for the peaty ones , it meant that more (non-peaty) were available for the visitors ... Eventually there were only good ones left (mostly cask-strength) and I had to tell lies that I had gone off Malt Whisky and was into Brandy instead ... I bought ordinary Brandy and Cognac (Liddls) and alcoholic Stones Green Ginger Wine and everyone was happy ... I had a glass of the Cognac and Green Ginger when friends came round and when we had no visitors I had proper Whisky ...

It is so nice when everyone is happy !

I am like 90% Scottish, yet for some reason I've never developed a taste for Scotch. Well, there's that and there's that the fact that I lost all interest in all alcoholic drinks 14 years ago, and stopped drinking altogether. But I did go through a major micro brew and top notch import beer phase starting in 1986 long before it was hip and cool to do so anywhere around the mid Atlantic region. Once micro breweries started popping up like zits, and it became "chic and hip" to be into micro brews and top imports, everyone started doing it, and it became faddish, I lost interest. I also went through a French wine phase in the early 90's that went along with my 9 year quality beer phase.

I used to really like Gin/tonic too, but I could never develop a taste for martinis.

Now I have zero desire to taste wine, beer, or hard liquor.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now I have zero desire to taste wine, beer, or hard liquor.

Depressants are the old way, stimulants are the new way..

jwgt1lYtseqaM.jpg