Olight M20-X Problem...Grrr...

ds960

Newly Enlightened
Got my Warrior in the mail today, looks really nice and works fine. However, when I went to remove the rubber switch cover, I just pulled it out of the groove in the tailcap to replace it with the GITD cap. Getting that sucker back in there was REALLY hard, and I poked a hole in the cap trying to worm it back into the groove around the switch. I'm trying find a couple of new spares...is there an easier way to change the rubber cap? I'm really mad at myself right now. It looks OK, but I know the water resistance is compromised now, better not get it wet in the meantime... bummer. Any suggestions or help welcome. Otherwise, I am delighted with the light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Have you tried taking the tailcap apart before swapping the switch cover?

If the tailcap is like other lights, there should be a metal retaining ring in it with two holes or something. Take needle nose pliers or similar and place the tips in the holes and unscrew the retaining ring out. The guts of the switch should now come out easily, and you should be able to replace the rubber cap.

If the light has a different system for the tailcap, then I'd wait for someone who has done the swap to respond.

ds960

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried taking the tailcap apart before swapping the switch cover?

If the tailcap is like other lights, there should be a metal retaining ring in it with two holes or something. Take needle nose pliers or similar and place the tips in the holes and unscrew the retaining ring out. The guts of the switch should now come out easily, and you should be able to replace the rubber cap.

If the light has a different system for the tailcap, then I'd wait for someone who has done the swap to respond.
I see the indentations inside the cap to pull the guts out of it, but this model has a side mode switch, not sure how that comes apart. Maybe someone who also has a Warrior, and has struggled with this can chime in.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Sucks to read about your mishap..

A bit OT but instead of starting a new thread, my M20-X sees a lot of use and I find the mode switch requires a bit of pressure to change brightness levels on. Earlier today my mode button developed a break in the rubber. I contacted the dealer and he offered to replace the rubber button tomorrow. The quality of the rubber for the mode/strobe button is probably the light's weak point.

6536ce7d.jpg

ds960

Newly Enlightened
Sucks to read about your mishap..

A bit OT but instead of starting a new thread, my M20-X sees a lot of use and I find the mode switch requires a bit of pressure to change brightness levels on. Earlier today my mode button developed a break in the rubber. I contacted the dealer and he offered to replace the rubber button tomorrow. The quality of the rubber for the mode/strobe button is probably the light's weak point.

6536ce7d.jpg
Who is your dealer? I tried to contact Battery Junction, but they replied that they do not stock the rubber tailcaps. Perhaps I can get one through your dealer.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
I bought my M20-X from John Jang of J2ledflashlight.com, but in person since I live relatively close.

ds960

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's gone from bad to worse. Took the tailcap apart to straighten out the rubber switch, and got the plastic spacer crossthreaded. Now the tailcap won't tighten all the way down on the light, and the switch is lopsided. Sigh...can't find parts. Need a whole new endcap now....wasted 68$, I guess.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's gone from bad to worse. Took the tailcap apart to straighten out the rubber switch, and got the plastic spacer crossthreaded. Now the tailcap won't tighten all the way down on the light, and the switch is lopsided. Sigh...can't find parts. Need a whole new endcap now....wasted 68$, I guess.

You can buy a "smooth version " tailcap for the M30 and use it on your side switch M20. Look under Olight accessories from your dealer. The cost should not be too bad.

ds960

Newly Enlightened
You can buy a "smooth version " tailcap for the M30 and use it on your side switch M20. Look under Olight accessories from your dealer. The cost should not be too bad.
I went ahead and ordered the M30 smooth tailcap. Hopefully that will be all that is needed to repair the light. A big thanks to Lou Minescence (sp?) and all others on the CPF forum for helping me out. Ordered the part from Battery Junction/Shore Power.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your light will be perfect again. I have the M20s and M30. The tail cap is the same. No worries. Just a little frustration for now. 😏

ds960

Newly Enlightened
Your light will be perfect again. I have the M20s and M30. The tail cap is the same. No worries. Just a little frustration for now. 
Thanks, Lou. I like the light a lot, but it isn't my first one. I have a 4 Sevens Preon 1 that I like just as much. Hey how did ya'll get started in flashlights? This is addictive, but spendy, hobby. My GF thinks I'm insane already:)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first light that I really liked was an Inova X5. Then a couple of Cabelas led flashlights. I was hooked after my Olight Warrior premium R2. I discovered the Olight at Battery Junction after a google search for "Cree". Then shortly after I discovered CPF looking up some stuff on Wikipedia.

The girlfriend thing gets worse before it gets better.

ds960

Newly Enlightened
My first light that I really liked was an Inova X5. Then a couple of Cabelas led flashlights. I was hooked after my Olight Warrior premium R2. I discovered the Olight at Battery Junction after a google search for "Cree". Then shortly after I discovered CPF looking up some stuff on Wikipedia.

The girlfriend thing gets worse before it gets better.
Amen brother! 3 years with this one, I think she's a keeper. Have a good one, and we'll see you in the forums...

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
If you call Olight they may be inclined to send you another, A little tip on removing the switch I always use some snap ring pliers works great and can be used on most lights I have encountered. And since we are on the subject Fenix has reverse threads in the tailcap meaning turn left to tighten right to loosen found that out the hard way. And the most important thing I have found is patience and finesse.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Hope you get that issue sorted out with the new tailcap.

I met my dealer yesterday to replace the side button rubber cover. After putting it back together the rubber cover skin wouldn't line back up with the button itself inside the tailcap, it was a pain in the *** and he was more frustrated than I was. Only fix was to sacrifice internals of a brand new M20-x tail cap.

He wouldn't let me keep the rest of the sacrificed Olight but did give me a tool used to tighten and unscrew the bottom of the tailcap from the inside because, as he said is the common issue of failed clicker complaints, is that it may loosen over time from hard use. Or something like that.

416689d9.jpg