I need a light with ultimate throw.

MattC16

Newly Enlightened
Would you please recommend a light based on throw. I want it to be near to a police helicopter search light. I don't mind the weight or the price.

CMAG

Enlightened
CPF user BVH has(or had) A helicopter search light for sale

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Peak Beam System's Maxabeam.

Furthest throwing commercially available and portable light that I know of.

You could also try and find a WW2 arc spotlight that were used to find planes at night.

CMAG

Enlightened
+1 Maxabeam But like 1/2 the watts of heli searchligh

WWII 60" GE arc light now your talking MattC16 said " I don't mind the weight or the price.":eek:

MattC16

Newly Enlightened
now your talking MattC16 said " I don't mind the weight or the price.":eek:

I live on mountain and want to terrorise the town below which always seems to have police helicopters over so I want to have a 'light off'.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I live on mountain and want to terrorise the town below which always seems to have police helicopters over so I want to have a 'light off'.

You better be joking. In many jurisdictions (including all of the USA), shining a light at an aircraft in flight is a criminal offence.

MattC16

Newly Enlightened
You better be joking. In many jurisdictions (including all of the USA), shining a light at an aircraft in flight is a criminal offence.

I'm not on about shining the light at the helicopter but looking at where the light is on the ground and then shining my light to a place near by. Helping out in their search, community spirit :)

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I'm not on about shining the light at the helicopter but looking at where the light is on the ground and then shining my light to a place near by. Helping out in their search, community spirit :)

Still a bad idea. Unless you've been asked to help, you might be charged with interference. Unless you're actively in communication with the police and coordinating your actions with them, shining your light "to a place near by" could blind officers on the ground or illuminate them for a (possibly armed) suspect.

Thekapow

Newly Enlightened
Agree.. Sounds like a terrible idea.. Also some times officers take advantage of the dark to move around for more tactical positions around a house or fence or what ever.. ...And then you turn your light on...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree.. Sounds like a terrible idea.. Also some times officers take advantage of the dark to move around for more tactical positions around a house or fence or what ever.. ...And then you turn your light on...

Correct, the officers on the ground will have radio communication with the air unit. If they want it dark the helo will kill the light. If someone was doing what the OP suggests on my scene I might charge them with interfering.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Seems like a very bad idea. The helicopters are probably not shining light for the heck of it, they are using it to find something. If you want to use a light in this way, you'd better tell your local police department and see if they would like your help.