Hot Curries.

hula

Newly Enlightened
Do you enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif HOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif curries such as the Indian Vindaloo or phal dishes. If not what other fiery dishes do you enjoy?
An ice cold beer is the drink to go with these sweat inducing creations and a toilet roll in the fridge for later. These things are hot - twice!

Hula.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
lamb curry is one of my favorite all-time meals.. with moderate spice to it.. and some nan.. mmmm.
*lmmfao*@roll of toilet paper in the fridge

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a place here in town that serves a quite passable Vindaloo and if you ask them for Indian, not American hot they will smile but do it for you. Excellent stuff!

I am also partial to Thai curries. There is something truly mind altering about a real green curry with fresh Thai basil and enough heat to make you forget everything else on the table /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

YUM!

y'all are making me HUNGERY.

Ross

Enlightened
The hottest I go is a Madras (fairly regularly). I agree on the lager and toilet roll! I dont like curries that are TOO hot but I do enjoy a challenge.
I was reading something recently about the capscain (sp?) which makes the curry hot, your body doesnt digest them so that is why it is still hot on the way out.........

Ross

R

raytracer

Mmmmm Vindaloo. That sounds good right now - I have a whopping head cold and nothing clears you up like nice hot Indian food.

The Thai food ranks right up there with Indian scoville for scoville. I love the way they do fried rice. It's hard to describe the difference, but it's so much better than Chinese fried rice IMO.

I love Mexican too, but there's very few Mexican dishes that will light you up like Thai or Indian.

The best lager I ever found to go with Indian food was called Oranjeboom. It was so complementary to the Masalas in my favorite dishes. Unfortunately I can no longer find it locally.

Cheers,
Joe

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hula said:

Do you enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif HOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif curries such as the Indian Vindaloo or phal dishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the Pope sh*t with the bears?? Whoops, mixed metaphor. YES. YES, YES. Thai especially does it for me.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been so long since I've enjoyed a good curry that I actually called my wife on the way home and asked her to stop by and pick up some for dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So now I'm sitting here worrying about the VERY spicy curry rumbling it's way through my stomach and sipping the last of the Bass Ale that went with it. British beer and indian food are a good combination...

The hottest thing I can remember eating was a beef salad at a Thai restaurant in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I was playing guitar with a band that had a gig up there and we stopped in for dinner before hand. It was SO deadly that I could feel the air moving in and out of my body all night long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Perhaps I should go and chill some TP... If my wife finds it in the freezer though she'll give me that look. You know the one. Where she has no clue what you're doing or why but it must be grounds for involuntary incarceration and medication /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
if you get a chance, try green tamarind pickle, found in indian stores in a glass jar, i can't recall the brand, but bottle is straight cylinder, white cap, yellow label around the jar. it is superb, HOT and yes it is HOT twice if you know what i mean. not all indian food is hot. if you get a chance, find someplace that does "hyderabadi" or "moghul" cuisine, it is good stuff. (the naan is the specialty of moghul foods)

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to eat the lamb vindaloo exclusively when I'd go Indian. Now my 40-yr-old stomach can't take it as well. Bummer. I'm glad to hear others are doing it. I'll get my jollies vicariously, thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
what the heck is vindaloo? i heard that everywhere in london and now here and from other non-indians, but i'm indian and i dont know what it is?? someone exlain.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I _LOVE_ Curry. Lamb, Turkey, Chicken - Love it all. Grew up with it once a month or so. I think I'll make some tomorrow even though the kids don't really like it, and my wife like it mild

Funny story. I work as a programmer in NYC. If you are in certain parts of the trade, you WILL work with Indian contract programmers (H-1B types). Well, at this company I used to work at, a bunch of the guys heard that I liked curry. They thought they would give me a hard time by bringing me to a resurant and ordering me HOT curry. The joke? I was one of 2 people in the group that could eat the REALLY hot stuff. That was 10 years ago - I wonder if I could eat curry THAT hot now. You know when it's too hot for the natives.....

That's it - chicken curry tomorrow night. YUM, with some Maj Grey's Chutney on the side. Oh yummy, yummy

Tomas

Banned
Masochists?

No.

My body never feels better overall than when it's fed a largely Indian diet. Fact!

I first ran into a GOOD curried lamb on a cold, snowy day in NYC back in '82, not too far from 39th and 5th Ave. Guy with one of those ubiquitous push carts on the sidewalk.

I was walking north with my head tucked down against the wind and light snow when I went by that cart. I made it about ten feet past when the wonderfull smell dragged me by the nostrils right back to it.

He didn't speak english, and I didn't speak ??? but point and grunt worked just fine and I ended up with a kabob of lamb-onion-tomato-something-lamb-onion, etc. He stuck a nice thick chunk of some sort of bread on one end of the skewer, wrapped a couple napkins 'round the other, took my $1.50 and I was off, trudging north again. Within six paces and two bites I was sweating. Within thirty paces I was heading south for another, big grin on my sweating face.

I tried to eat from that cart AT LEAST once a week.

I eventually figured out that part of our point and grunt negotiations involved him asking if I wanted one of the extra hot skewers and if I wanted extra hot curry sauce on it. My answers were aparently 'yes' to both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After that first time I always got two skewers and gave him a fiver - it was more than worth it to me.

(I'm sitting here drooling. Really! I am! *sigh*)

A good, hot, lamb vindaloo with garlic nan and some of that wonderful spinach veggie stuff (don't recall the name, but it does NOT look good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ) is my idea of nirvana in meals. Some of the hottest vindaloo I've had was at an Indian restaurant in downtown Eugene, Oregon - it took me a pitcher of ice water to finish it. I may have sweat it all out before I finished, but the waitress and cook knew I liked the vindaloo from my huge grin and nods in their directions.

Some of the absolute BEST vindaloo was at an Indian fast food place at the SeaTac Mall in Federal Way. It's not on the menu, but "Mike" would make some up if it was a slow day, and we'd sit there and eat it. He has a nice little behive shaped clay oven for the nan, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I haven't made a decent curry since last Tuesday, so I need to make some more. Think I'll torture some chicken this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(BTW: I'm Swedish/Polish so I have NO idea why my 'thing' for Indian food, but ... )

Oh, another BTW: My Thai GF would eat foods that I could not even think hard about eating without suffering a core meltdown - some of that stuff is just absolutely stark staring bonkers. I can do most Chinese, most Indian, and a lot of others, but Thai, *shudder* Thai is sometimes just a bit too much.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's the next day after eating the super hot curry and so far so good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'ts not even 10am yet and I'm thinking about the leftovers in the fridge that I'm going to eat for lunch. I think an early lunch today...

hula

Newly Enlightened
I think there's an Indian restaurant somewhere in Newcastle UK that claims to do the worlds' hottest curry. You must sign a disclaimer before they'll even serve it you and if you can finish the dish you don't pay.
I watched some 'masochists' attempt this beast. It was real funny watching them instantly turn red and sweat. Most only managed one or two mouthfuls but one guy made it out of about 10 and he duly received his certificate.

Hula.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you guys really have me jagging for some curry.
My wife has a yankee palate and doesn't like Indian food.
For my present on my last birthday my mother-in-law took me out to an Indian buffet that she likes.
That was a great present.
I gotta get some take-out asap, I guess.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Tomas,
a little OT, but I'm intrigued by Thai food... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I had my hottest curry in a Swiss ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) restaurant in Ao Nang, Thailand, just remembering makes me sweat... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
Just finished eating a red curry/rice/chicken/onion/garlic/tomato/peppers thing I made, along with some fairly spicy/sweet beans and garlic bread.

Chai to drink.

Put the leftovers in the fridge - I expect them to be gone by morning, however.

I've had hotter/nastier stuff, but this is one of the few that burned my eyes while cooking ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bart, I don't understand Thai food. It may be a contest to see who wins, you or the food. I find the spicing harsh to my taste, rather than pleasingly spicy and flavorful.

Hmmmmmmm ... Now I want some good Mexican or at least Southwest USA for tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
Mmmmm....Lamb Vindaloo! I'm hungry now. Of course, those of you who are fans of Red Dwarf, know that the only way to kill a Vindaloo is with a lager!