Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post
    It quotes the height as 65.2mm (+0 / -1.0) so it isn't protected ... You tend to find that the protected cells are up towards 69mm even though they are classed as 18650 ... Some are being called 18700 , because of the increase in length due to the protection circuit.
    .

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    No but Orbtronic will also sell protected versions. Also you can look for them on intl-outdoor.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Cnqualitygoods sent me this for free after a small problem. Very nice of them. I don't think its a god idea to use this without voltage protection.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post
    I bought two of those unprotected Pannie 3100s from Orbtronics/Titanium a couple of months back and they work fine. They're on a business trip right now, so we'll have to wait for them to get back.

    I also bought some Sanyo 14500s and some Soshine 16340s from them as well and both transactions went smoothly.

    For my single cell lights (PD32/SC600) I didn't feel the need to buy their protected offerings.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, Mini-Mags, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, WP2 II.

  6. #6
    Administrator Norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gippsland Australia
    Posts
    8,663

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Price for the protected version is quite expensive in comparison to some other sellers of the same cell.

    Norm

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    I am jus suprised they sent a unprotected sell granted it was for free but i can a new person putting the cell in and having it drain completely on him.
    It was for a yezl t9 i dont think its even regulated let alone low any voltage protection. Thats why i was suprised.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post
    I am jus suprised they sent a unprotected sell granted it was for free but i can a new person putting the cell in and having it drain completely on him.
    It was for a yezl t9 i dont think its even regulated let alone low any voltage protection. Thats why i was suprised.
    You need to be conscientious when running unprotected cells in lights, which is why I only use them in single cell designs. Don't let kids play with lights that run unprotected Li-Ions, or even protected Li-Ions for that matter.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, Mini-Mags, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, WP2 II.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    You need to be conscientious when running unprotected cells in lights, which is why I only use them in single cell designs. Don't let kids play with lights that run unprotected Li-Ions, or even protected Li-Ions for that matter.

    Chris

    How are you careful using them? How do you know when they'll be empty?
    New people might not know about the drain on these.

    Since it is unprotected how am i safely able to use lets say for hiking where ill be out for a period?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    You should check but most lights have a low voltage warning. You can even check now yourself if you're paying attention. Even if you discharge the battery all the way, in a single cell light like this, it's unlikely that you'll have any real problems as long as you don't try to recharge an overdischarged cell.

    That said I will gladly take that deadly explosive for you and cover shipping given a reasonable cost (US shipping?).

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post
    How are you careful using them? How do you know when they'll be empty?
    New people might not know about the drain on these.

    Since it is unprotected how am i safely able to use lets say for hiking where ill be out for a period?
    I meter the lights I use. I check the cells often because I'm anal that way. I rotate them in and out, so I'm not using just one cell, constantly. I've done run tests on them in increments, so I have a 'general' idea how long they can run, but honestly, if I were out camping, I'd have that nifty new solar charging setup with me that I built last week and I'd be charging them up willy-nilly.

    You could always bring a small analog meter with you, or absent that, stick with protecteds.

    New people shouldn't be playing with unprotected Li-Ion cells. We don't let children drive cars for a reason.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, Mini-Mags, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, WP2 II.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    I meter the lights I use. I check the cells often because I'm anal that way. I rotate them in and out, so I'm not using just one cell, constantly. I've done run tests on them in increments, so I have a 'general' idea how long they can run, but honestly, if I were out camping, I'd have that nifty new solar charging setup with me that I built last week and I'd be charging them up willy-nilly.

    You could always bring a small analog meter with you, or absent that, stick with protecteds.

    New people shouldn't be playing with unprotected Li-Ion cells. We don't let children drive cars for a reason.

    Chris
    I charge up my cells to 4.2 volts then the next day I do a run test ... I put the torch on full power and regularly stop the test whilst checking the battery voltage (off load) ... I take the cells down to about 3.8 volts ... This gives me the run time on that particular torch and battery ... When I use the torch in future I know for example that on full I can use it for (say) two hours ... However , I don't often use my torches on full , so I will get about four hours of use to take the cell down to about 3.8 volts ... My guestimation of the battery run time is not too accurate but since I don't use the high mode too often , I have not yet been down to my prefered 3.8V level ... I check the voltages of my cells and if below 4.0V , I top them up anyway ... Li-Ions don't mind this sort of treatment.

    I always prefer to keep my spare Li-Ions virtually fully charged ... I know this is not the ideal storage voltage , but that's my personal choice ... I don't like to have to top-up my cells before use ... I like to have my few spare cells fully charged ... I don't have many spare 18650 cells anyway , though I have just bought two Panasonic 3100's and two Xtar 2600's ... I will be retiring a couple of my old'ish Ultrafire (blue)unprotected cells now ... I've had good service out of them.

    I will probably carry on using my Ultrafire (grey) Li-Ions as spares till I can justify getting a few more Panasonics.
    .

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Anaheim, CA.
    Posts
    1,870

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Scroll down this page, and you can click on the link for protected cells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is this 18650 (NCR 18650A) Protected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    Scroll down this page, and you can click on the link for protected cells.

    I already have those protected cells. I am aware they are not as dangerous as they initially thought were.
    I was jus wondering if it was protected as it looked like it had a circuit on it. I have a bunch of 18650s that and a 14500 and AA NIMH. Can't stop my love for 18650s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •