Alternative for 2005 Volvo that uses H11 lowbeams

iceman2g

Newly Enlightened
I've spent the last few days researching replacements for my H11 lowbeam that went out. At first I thought I might go with Philips HIR, based on the suggestion of others. However, the HIR isn't available as replacement for H11. So what might you guys suggest as a good replacement for a 2005 Volvo.

I'm also curious if I'll need to tinker with the aiming of the beam when replacing the burnt out bulb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Correct, no HIR for H11. What Volvo model are you working on? Is it something like an XC70 that uses a reflector-type low beam? Or something like an S/V50 that uses a projector-type low beam?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Your low beams are projectors, so you can safely replace the H11 low beam bulbs with H9 bulbs. They produce 2100 lumens (compared to 1350 lumens from an H11). Those projectors control glare sharply enough that as long as the lamps are aimed correctly and the front lenses aren't hazed you won't be throwing unlawful or unsafe amounts of light at other drivers. Easy and cheap upgrade; the only downside is shorter bulb life.

iceman2g

Newly Enlightened
Is aiming something I would need to do everytime I change the bulb?

Can you recommend a good H9 bulb? I was looking at OSRAM Night Breaker Plus H11 as replacement to my burnt out bulb, how do they compare to H9? What might I expect for usable life from an H9 compared to a H11?

I know these are a lot of questions and so I appreciate if you're not able to address all of them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
A regular H9 from a reputable maker (Osram/Sylvania, Philips/Narva, GE/Tungsram) will be fine.

The Night Breaker Plus H11 produces much less light than an H9, and has about the same lifespan as an H9. From either the NB+ or an H9, expect about 1/4 to 1/3 the lifespan of a regular H11.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your low beams are projectors, so you can safely replace the H11 low beam bulbs with H9 bulbs.

Note: Remember, folks-- both of these (the H11 and H9) are filament light sources, which is what makes this a safe upgrade. There is no projector designed for a filament light source that can be safely, effectively, and legally used with an arc-discharge source.

Just in case anyone asks, or tries to use the "but it's a projector so HID is fine" kind of argument. :)

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would ride height be a limiting factor for the H9 to H11 substitution path? a neighbor has a GX470 which uses H11 projector lowbeams [has rear load leveling air suspension], but is mounted much higher than an S40, 37.5" to the center of the projector lense.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I can't think of any H11 low beam projectors in actual use that would produce unsafe and/or noncompliant levels of glare when equipped with an H9 bulb. The glare levels above the cutoff from projectors tend to be far below the allowed maximum. Keep in mind that same vehicle is/was also available with HID low beams, which produce far greater intensity below the cutoff through a wider horizontal range. Correct aim is crucial, of course; the low beams will be unsafe in one way or another if they are improperly aimed, no matter whether they are equipped with H11 or H9 bulbs.