Search light that fits in a Pocket

Guar

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've been lurking cpf for a few weeks now reading reviews (selfbuilt is amazing) and figured I'd ask around before I bought my first flashlight to see if I've missed any options :D. I've always just used small head lamps for all my camping needs and found they do the job for most things, but after a few instances where I've been out bush at night searching for something or navigating and a mate has pulled out his little Surefire E2D only to blow my mind as to how useful a little flashlight can be I'm quickly becoming a convert.

I'm after a flashlight to use mainly out bush (often in fairly open desert) to use to spot people/gear/landmarks from at least a couple of hundred meters away. I imagine I will always keep my head lamp with me for general use, so lo-mod and run-time aren't a huge concern. My one biggest requirement is that the light has a very high output to size ratio and preferably can fit somewhat practically in a (large) pocket.

The DEFT EDC looks like my perfect light, however the $410 price tag is hard to justify on my first flashlight. My budget would be closer to $100 (up to $200 if there's a noticeable difference in performance). So far I'm leaning towards a Thrunite TN11, it may be on the large side of what I have in mind, but seems to have the kind of throw I'm after.

Here's the checklist:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $200.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

TN11 would be about the upper limit of size (<6inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I would consider getting a light that is pieced together

7) What battery type do you want to use?

happy with any battery types

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Probably 500+

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

I'm thinking of also picking up a little Eagletac D25 Clicky or similar to have as a smaller option.

Thanks for reading!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Is that aussi money? Isn't the deft EDC $200 and the deft EDC L/R only $300?

Anyway its a little bigger but look at the deree light nightmaster.

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
shiningbeam blaze

this light is not mainstream but plenty powerful and fits into your criteria, over 500lm, combo of throw flood, good build quality, and can be had for around $35 shipped