Keep my Fenix LD22 or trade up for the PD32?

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I have a LD22 dilemna, question. I like the low moonlight output and the spill in turbo even with the good throw/distance of the hotspot. I also like being able to use AA batteries. BUT... I kind of wish the light was a little shorter, and had a little more distance in Turbo. Anyone know if the PD32 would give me more distance yet not give me "Tunnel Vision"? I know I would have to use CR123 batteries in the PD32, and rechargeable RCR132 batteries are something I have not made the splurge on yet. How about the expense of that single 18.... LI-Ion battery and a charger. Is that better for performance than the 2 CR123 batteries? Thanks.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I feel a big rambling post coming.... I have the LD12, LD22 and PD32. I agree the LD22 is a little long. Too long to wear on the belt and it gets itself wedged in the pocket in a bad way too. I mainly use it for a 'house light'. Something to sit on the coffee table in case my wife or daughter needs a light. I am trying not to leave Li-ion lights around the house for general use (and abuse).

The pd32 is noticeably brighter on max. Similar beam to the LD22, but brighter spill and brighter hotspot and a bit more throw. "Tunnel vision" does not come to mind, its a decent mixed beam. Its more impressive than the LD22, but it might come down to what you need to illuminate to say if its truly more useful in your situation.
Performance will not be any better on li-ion, just cheaper after the initial high investment. Use two primaries or one 18670 or 17650. DO NOT USE TWO RCR123 (rechargeable), too much voltage for the PD32.

All in all, I like the PD32 a lot. I got it for special occasion EDC, like when I expect to be needing a brighter light than my LD12 after dark. I mainly use my light for daytime projects. However, I'm finding the extra brightness is great when working on equipment outside in the sun too so I have been carrying it almost everyday now.

Also consider other possibilities. If you like the side button, the PD22 might be good. Pretty much the same output as the LD22 and way smaller. No rechargeable support. If you are only flashing your light a for a few seconds here and there during the day, a single 123 can last you for several months. Also take a look at the Quarks, many options. The single cells will get you similar output in a smaller size with more battery options. Two cells with xm-l emitter will get you a brighter light.

So back to the PD32, nice light, quite pocketable in my cargo shorts. I'm not sure I would love it on primaries though. Most of my use is quick flashes here and there, which would be fine on primaries, but some projects turn into needing light for a steady hour or so and that would kill me to run down primaries like that. Think about how you will use your light. A good li-ion setup could cost you ~$70 to get started, although you can find cheaper stuff. I have the Pila IBC. If you don't use your light a lot, it may take years to recover your investment. If you go for the PD32 or another 2x123, try a few primaries and see how it goes before diving into li-ion. If you keep your LD22, consider eneloops.
Good Luck.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Thanks for the input lightwait. I am a tactical guy, and like the ability to have a bright light in a small package. I agree about the LD22 is great for around the house. I just find that for carry or on walks, the light is just a little long. If i dont need a blinding light, I like being abe to turn the LD22 on moonlight or medium, and not bind myself or others. I was thiking about the change to get a slightly more compact light- lengthwise, as well as a little more throw/distance. I do see that the 18650's and charger are a hefty investment. I will use the light maybe 30 minutes a day on average, and spuradically at that. Thanks for the great input. What also is the big worry about the light lying around for others to use with the li-Ions in them? Wont the light shut off before over-draining the battery, or is it to reduce hard drops on the floor?

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Tough choice on the rechargables. They will change how you use your light if you have them. The other day, I replaced some sink fixtures. I set the pd32 on medium and it spent a good 90 minutes in a jar under the sink as a work light. I could not justify using up primaries that way.

As far as the li-ion, I guess I read too many of the stories around here. There is a very good chance my wife will leave the light on after use, lol. On max, that might cause overheating and its not the best idea to run the light down until the protection kicks in. My bigger concern is that my daughter is an avid reader and can sometimes be found on the couch with a flashlight wedged under her head and reading if she is feeling too lazy to get up and turn on a proper reading light. Not thrilled with her keeping any light that close to her face, but I feel much better with a AA light in that situation. Probably over-worry and no riskier than a cell phone, but I worry anyway.

The PD32 is slightly brighter than the LD22 low, but it still does not offend me if I get up in the night. Some guys will say both the LD22 and the PD32 are way too bright. It just depends what you are doing. Unless I am enjoying the night sky or playing with my camera at night, I prefer the brighter low of the Fenix's for my everyday use. I do have some Quarks for when I might need that super low. I'm just saying because you mentioned you like the low.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I understand about the overheating, my kids have left lights on "past dead" after being told to turn them off if the get hot or get dim or the light starts to blink indicating the batteries are low. I am not worried about the "low" being a ittle brighter, I just want some more distance, and wondered how the 18650 battery compared to two regular primary 3v lithiums. I will not be using the light for a "work" light under the counter. I have other lights for that. I a sure the 1" shorter length than the LD22 alo makes it a little easier to carry on the belt as well. The LD22 holster lets the light sit too high above the belt.

blo9

Newly Enlightened
I would like to switch from my PD32 to an LD22, mine is almost unused.
Could it be interesting?
I have two batteries and a cheap charger.
PM me.

BR
Johnnie - Sweden

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
The LD22 holster lets the light sit too high above the belt.
Yup, I'm not a fan of flashlights poking me in my jelly roll, lol. A single 123 is about all I have room for on the belt without poking my side when I bend over. But I'm liking pocket carry lately. Too many uses some days and it works out easier to drop it in my pocket each time rather than move my shirt and get to my belt. I try not to set it down, because then I might forget it. The pd32 works out good for me. It doesn't wedge in my pocket and its not so small that it will fall out if I sit in a cushiony chair. When I tried pocket carrying a single 123, I'd often find it on the couch at night, it was just the right size to slip out in certain chairs. The LD12 and the PD32 both stay in the pocket, but aren't so long that they become awkward like the LD22.