Looking for a long lasting EDC light.

Fubs

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! Here is a little background on myself, I am a 19 year old, male, college student. My interest in high quality lights was sparked when in December(?) of 2011, very fast winds hit the area I live in and the power was knocked out for about half a week. My family only had those old 99 cent flashlights that barely lit anything so I set out to buy a light that would actually be useful. So, I went out to my local Target and bought a Mini Maglight LED. I was fascinated of how bright and cool it was but unfortunately, a few weeks after the power came back on, I had dropped it and it became difficult to turn on (it was hard to twist). Now that I look back, some lubrication on the o-ring probably would have fixed that. Well, since I was so fascinated by modern lights, I decided to do some research and bought the Fenix LD10. I was super excited about the 100 lumens and the compact size! But it seemed like it had a defect so I got a replacement and that one also had a defect (The medium(?) mode would flicker as if it was having difficulty maintaining brightness but when I would go to the max mode, it did not flicker and this bothered me). So I decided to give the LD10 to my dad to use. Then I purchased the Surefire LX2 Lumamax and was excited because of the throw on it. What bothered me about the LX2 was that it does not have much of a spill and the size was kind of big. I also did not like the momentary on switch and to have constant on, you need to twist. I really liked the throw, 200 lumens, and how the clip was easy on my pants. Then I discovered the 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123x2 and it's 360 lumen max output and it was programmable! What bothered me about this light was that it did not have much throw or hot spot on it's turbo mode and it feels like it is hard on the pants because of the knurling and how tight the clip is. Now recently, I decided to get the Surefire P2X Fury + a $25 dollar clip from darksucks. I absolutely love the 500 lumen max and the throw on this. What bothers me about the Fury is the low (15 lumens) does not go very far and it's size. The size of the head is larger than I expected and it is quite noticeable in my pants. The Fury would be PERFECT if it weren't so huge and if it had further throw (on low) and a more noticable hotspot. So, in 9 months, I bought 5 lights. I am rather picky :(

So here is what I'm looking for:

-a light that will last me a couple years (I want this to be the last one I purchase in a long time, this is extremely important!)
-a multi-mode light (2 or 3 modes)
-a good hotspot but with a good spill as well (the hotspot preferably being very noticeable)
-a good mixture of flood and throw (1 being a lot of throw and 10 being a lot of flood, I would prefer something around 4)
-a lot of lumens!
-easy on clothes and not very noticable (the Fury creates a huge bulge and the Quark seems tough on my pants with it's knurlings)
-easy to use UI.

My main purpose for this would be mostly for utility, fun, and to impress friends. My other purposes would be for possible self-defense because I take the bus to and from school sometimes and it gets late sometimes (not for hitting, just a bright illumination of the possible attacker).

TL;DR:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $150.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

Last edited by a moderator:

yliu

Enlightened
Sunwayman V11R, JetBeam RRT-0 for small sized EDC.

Maybe the Surefire A2 Aviator suits you since it doesn't have much knurling, and doesn't uses TIR lenses. The output does not fit your requirements, but it should be enough for your tasks.

I can't think of any light with a small head, smooth body and with very high outputs at the same time. Otherwise "tactical" 2xCR123 lights is what you want if you can deal with the knurling, crenelated bezels and big heads.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most 2 AA, 2 CR123, or 1 18650 sized lights with the Cree XM-L LED should be able to give you the output you want.

Check out the Sunwayman V20A, T20C, T20CS, Jetbeam RRT-2, RRT-21, PC25, Jet-III, Fenix TK-15, TK-21, 4sevens Quark lights with the "-X" at the end of them, Eagletac D25c...

:welcome:

Fubs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions! The Jetbeam RRT-2 really has my interest at the moment, but the thing that bothers me with it is that it does not come with a pocket clip I think, otherwise, it looks great. The Sunwayman V11R looks interesting but it looks like it would not have much throw. I have the Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X but what bothers me of that is that on the turbo mode (360 lumens), it tends to get hot really fast and the clip is really tight which I think would end up destroying my jeans pockets. Also, on the Quark, it feels like the medium has very little throw and it feels like there is not a significant difference between turbo and high.

After a day of thinking, am I being too picky?

Humminbird

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac D25A and D25C would be good choises. After trying several other lights for EDC, I ended up with the D25A. In my opinion a tail cap clicky switch is a must. I have had lights with electronic switches and rotary switches, and both types are prone to turn on accidentally in the pocket. I always had to lock out the tail cap with those. With a clicky switch I've never had this issue.

gsr

Enlightened
I've found the Surefire E1B to be just about perfect for EDC. I've seen it for $112 at several online retailers, and it's worth every penny.

Fubs

Newly Enlightened
I was actually looking into the Surefire E1B yesterday and part of today. I think I may just go with that or wait for the EB1 but I noticed that it has been pushed back multiple times. Can you tell me whats the range of the throw? I am hoping it can reach 300-400 feet.

Fubs

Newly Enlightened
It appears the last few posts were removed when the site went down? Well, I am seriously leaning toward the E1B or the EB1, does anyone have an idea for when the EB1 will release? I discovered it has been pushed back several times.

Also, I was wondering, the lights that I already have (Quark Tactical 123x2, Surefire LX2 Lumamax, and Surefire Fury), would they be alright as lights to store in the glove compartment of a car? It has been really hot lately which makes me ask this question. It has been about 100 degrees Fahrenheit for the past few weeks already.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
My post got lost here too :(

Any way Your Quark is going to out throw the E1B and all the D25's except the D25CL2. Your trying to get a small light that is really bright throws fairly well, but doesn't get hot... well thats just not going to happen :/.

I think its kinda weird you thought your Quark clip was to tight I love it and usually think other lights (klarus, jetbeam, fenix) have clips that are too tight.
Two things about that light.
1. You said it gets to hot on Turbo but that Turbo and High are to close together, may I suggest that you don't use Turbo unless you really need to and just live with high, it will take a lot longer for it to get hot probably about 2.5x as long and it will have about 2.5x as much battery life but only be a little dimmer.
2. If you want a brighter light with more heat dissipation and throw that is only a little bigger may I suggest the Quark 123^2 TURBO X. The only thing I don't like is that the clip buts up to the larger head and makes it hard to clip it in your pocket but you could carry it bezel up that would fix the problem.

The lights will be able to take the heat but idk about the batteries, usually people suggest CR123's due to lasting 10 years or more but you wouldn't want them exploding.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck on your search.

You have some requirements that are conflicting
Pocketable means skinny. Skinny means flood. Not throw. With reflectors.
Skinny and throw means lens. Lens means no spill.
Pocketable means small. Bright and small runs hot.
I think you need to compromise. Decide what is most important. Not try for everything in one light.

I carry a Quark MiNi 1AA in my pocket. Have enough light for most EDC tasks. When I need more light I grab my custom 3C P7 Mag. Brighter, more throw, bigger body to get rid of the heat. But not pocketable. I have a Nite-ize holster for the Mag so I do not have to carry it in my hands when I am not using it.
I think it will be a lot easier to meet your requirements with 2 lights instead of 1.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Good luck on your search.

You have some requirements that are conflicting
Pocketable means skinny. Skinny means flood. Not throw. With reflectors.
Skinny and throw means lens. Lens means no spill.
Pocketable means small. Bright and small runs hot.
I think you need to compromise. Decide what is most important. Not try for everything in one light.

I think it will be a lot easier to meet your requirements with 2 lights instead of 1.
Pahaha I just said that nice timing. Great minds think alike?

Fubs

Newly Enlightened

I realize my needs/wants in a light were too... perfect. After some thought, I think I want more throw than flood (300-400 feet), pretty bright (bright enough to seriously mess someones night vision up for a while), reasonable run time on it's brightest setting. My main purpose for this would mostly be for fun, in the (hopefully) rare occasion of having to run away from someone during night time, and sometimes to look for things in the dark.

I think its kinda weird you thought your Quark clip was to tight I love it and usually think other lights (klarus, jetbeam, fenix) have clips that are too tight.

By too tight, I mean that I have to actually pull the clip away from the body to fit my pocket in between, I really like the LX2's clip and it feels way easier on pants and it feels tight enough so that it wouldn't fall out of my pants.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I realize my needs/wants in a light were too... perfect. After some thought, I think I want more throw than flood (300-400 feet), pretty bright (bright enough to seriously mess someones night vision up for a while), reasonable run time on it's brightest setting. My main purpose for this would mostly be for fun, in the (hopefully) rare occasion of having to run away from someone during night time, and sometimes to look for things in the dark.
So you want a larger light to go with your EDC? Check out the Turbo version of your Quark also the Thrunite TN11s, Scorpion with turbo head, Armytek predator, Fenix TK21, Deree light, maybe the Klarus XT11.

By too tight, I mean that I have to actually pull the clip away from the body to fit my pocket in between, I really like the LX2's clip and it feels way easier on pants and it feels tight enough so that it wouldn't fall out of my pants.
Yeah the only lights that I don't have to pull out the clip are my Quarks, V10R and L1.

Last edited:

Fubs

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bring this post back up but with the release (hopefully soon) of the new Surefire EB1, which I believe I will get, I have a few questions (mostly for current E1B owners). Also, does anyone know if it's really going to be $220 dollars or if that's just a really high price because they haven't actually released them yet?

1) The 1.3 hour run time doesn't seem like a long time, how often do current E1B owners have to change their batteries (weekly, monthly)?

2) According the footnote on the Surefire product pages of their lights, "Runtime (at highest setting for the multiple-output flashlights) until output drops below 50 lumen". I like to have the brightest that the light can do 95% of the time. What do you guys do when this happens? Just keep it in the light and let it run it's course? Or do you guys switch to a new one and put the old battery into another light to drain it?

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bring this post back up but with the release (hopefully soon) of the new Surefire EB1, which I believe I will get, I have a few questions (mostly for current E1B owners). Also, does anyone know if it's really going to be $220 dollars or if that's just a really high price because they haven't actually released them yet?

Hopefully the price will be better once the EB1 is released.

1) The 1.3 hour run time doesn't seem like a long time, how often do current E1B owners have to change their batteries (weekly, monthly)?

This depends on how often you use the light, and is different for everyone.

2) According the footnote on the Surefire product pages of their lights, "Runtime (at highest setting for the multiple-output flashlights) until output drops below 50 lumen". I like to have the brightest that the light can do 95% of the time. What do you guys do when this happens? Just keep it in the light and let it run it's course? Or do you guys switch to a new one and put the old battery into another light to drain it?

This light is regulated which means the light will run at max (200ish lumens) for something like 95% of the battery life. Once the battery is depleated (too low to run at max) the light will fall out of regulation & will quickly begin to dim then die. So, you will get full output for most of the life of the battery. By the way, when my primary batteries reach this level of depletion, I throw them away. There's hardly any energy left. Some folks keep their depleated batteries & run em in a light with a super low low, thereby squezing out every drop of energy, but I don't fool with em.