14mm Regulated 3-Level Driver for Primary Cells <$20?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where I can find some 14mm regulated 3-level driver boards for 3V primary cells for under $20?

The BitZ driver is exactly what I am looking for. Three levels, a high of 500mA, primary and RCR compatible and 14mm in diameter. I do not want a linear driver board. Flat regulation is a must.

Any ideas on where I might find such a thing?

Thanks!

moderator007

Enlightened
You can try finding something here that might work. Some of these drivers can be modified by changing the sense resistor to give you the correct current output. The sandwich shoppe GDuP looks like it can be modded to give you the correct current by changing the sense resistor as dat2zip discusses output in this thread. But the price is not $20. Finding a driver with 3 modes (L,M and H) and the correct output is difficult unless you can program. Changing the sense resistor is not that difficult but finding the correct modes is. There use to be several options in this range but the drivers seem to have been discountinued. Probably due to the higher input current of the newer leds.

When you say three modes I am assuming you are wanting L,M and H.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. L, M and H.

I have an assortment of Shoppe boards, including the GDuP. I was hoping to find a driver board like a BitZ, Fenix, or similar quality in the <$20 range.

Erzengel

Enlightened
On some chinese sites You may find AA-drivers which suit Your needs. Unfortunately most of them have a strobe included. I bought an eoslamp driver from intl-outdoor. It has no memory, therefore the strobe on position 4 can be ignored.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
On some chinese sites You may find AA-drivers which suit Your needs. Unfortunately most of them have a strobe included. I bought an eoslamp driver from intl-outdoor. It has no memory, therefore the strobe on position 4 can be ignored.

Have you tested the output and regulation? Does the board get hot when powered by a primay 3V cell?

I have used strobe once in my life. I strobed a dog that was following me and my family when we were out for a walk at night. The strobe made the dog stop walking towards us, and it finally turned away. I think that a powerful beam in the eyes may have had the same effect, but I was using a light that was only 120 lumens. I think that it was a NovaTac 120E.