Charging A 18650 With A Hobby Charger

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
I am planning on buying some Xtar 18650 3100mah batteries for my new Crelant 7G5 V2. I was wondering since i already have a quality hobby charger for my RC lipos can i charge some 18650 on there? the charger is a thunder ac680 and can carge any type of cell so i would just put it on the LiIon setting then this is were i need some help to be safe. I have to set the amps i want it to charge at, i was thinking .5 of an amp but my charger can go all the way to 6 amps.

moderator007

Enlightened
Panasonic recommends a charge rate of .3C (885ma). While the panasonics can be charged at a higher rate their life expectency will probably be shortened. I would not exceed .7C charge rate. I charge all my li-ions on a hobby charger.:thumbsup:

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
great to know thanks and how do you tackle the harnessing or connection to the battery? i was thinking some alligator clips with magnets.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
perfect thank you! actually one more thing im sorry im making some magnet harnesses right know is it ok to make a charging harness like this
DSC_6266.jpg
DSC_6264.jpg

with 22 awg wire or is that to thin for the main charging wires as im only doing one cell at a time. if not i can get some 18 awg pretty quick which should unless someone tells me different .

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned
Depends on what current you're planning to charge them at.
I'd stick to 600mA (CV termination current of the 3100mAh cell * 10), with that current 22AWG is enough.

moderator007

Enlightened
perfect thank you! actually one more thing im sorry im making some magnet harnesses right know is it ok to make a charging harness like this with 22 awg wire or is that to thin for the main charging wires as im only doing one cell at a time. if not i can get some 18 awg pretty quick which should unless someone tells me different .
According to online wire size calculators 22 AWG should be good for 7 amps for short distances. I would fill safe at 3 amps with a foot or so of length. I have tried pushing 24 AWG stranded wire up to its rated current with a hobby charger. It did work but the wire got hot after a minute or so of use. I changed it out for some 22 AWG and it worked fine at 3 amps with 8.4v.