Elzetta two cell or three cell body?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so these Elzetta lights have got me interested in getting one. Question is: does it make more sense to get a 2 or 3 cell body?

what do you guys think or have experience with? I'd probably be using Li-ions and a custom p60 drop-in anyways most likely.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3-cell body and the Hi/Lo clicky switch. Great combo.
If you can tolerate the little bit of extra length for the 3 cells, you can get more run time and also use the M91 XML drop-in from Malkoff. The M91 won't work on 2 cells unless they are 16340 li-ion, and that's a very short run time with those.

Also, regarding the "custom" p60 drop-ins, you need to be aware that the Elzetta is internally shaped to accept only the Malkoff drop-ins, for best thermal performance and shock durability.
Other drop-ins might not fit, and certainly won't be a perfect fit for thermal performance.
Thankfully, it's hard to beat the Malkoff drop-ins, so having a perfect fit for them might not be considered a limitation.

Also, the Elzetta bodies are not bored for 18xxx size li-ion batteries, and are actually made to use primary CR123, for reasons of safety in high-recoil weaponlight applications.
I have heard that they can be bored for wider cells, but I have not done that with mine.

And lastly, since all the Elzetta parts are "lego-able", you can buy a 2-cell body any time you want, and make your 3-cell into a 2-cell by just changing body tubes.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the two cell Elzetta with the clicky. I've forgotten which Malkoff dropin I have. It's easy to carry, but the short length limits run-times. If I were doing it again, I'd follow twl's advice. These flashlights are bomb-proof!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3-cell body and the Hi/Lo clicky switch. Great combo.
If you can tolerate the little bit of extra length for the 3 cells, you can get more run time and also use the M91 XML drop-in from Malkoff. The M91 won't work on 2 cells unless they are 16340 li-ion, and that's a very short run time with those.

Also, regarding the "custom" p60 drop-ins, you need to be aware that the Elzetta is internally shaped to accept only the Malkoff drop-ins, for best thermal performance and shock durability.
Other drop-ins might not fit, and certainly won't be a perfect fit for thermal performance.
Thankfully, it's hard to beat the Malkoff drop-ins, so having a perfect fit for them might not be considered a limitation.

Also, the Elzetta bodies are not bored for 18xxx size li-ion batteries, and are actually made to use primary CR123, for reasons of safety in high-recoil weaponlight applications.
I have heard that they can be bored for wider cells, but I have not done that with mine.

And lastly, since all the Elzetta parts are "lego-able", you can buy a 2-cell body any time you want, and make your 3-cell into a 2-cell by just changing body tubes.

I have the two cell Elzetta with the clicky. I've forgotten which Malkoff dropin I have. It's easy to carry, but the short length limits run-times. If I were doing it again, I'd follow twl's advice. These flashlights are bomb-proof!

thanks a lot both of you! so as far as Malkoff modules go, doesn't Malkoff typically come out with more selection on the two cell modules? like the 219 and SHO?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, most of the drop-ins from Malkoff will work with the 2-cell battery configuration. It's just the M91 that requires the higher voltage.

It's a matter of preference on the length. For me, the one extra cell length was worth it for the run time and versatility. It's only about an inch more.
But if you prefer it shorter, you can get that too.
And you can get both body tubes if you want to switch back and forth.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my first Elzetta just a couple of days ago Great light!! Got the 2 cell version.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, most of the drop-ins from Malkoff will work with the 2-cell battery configuration. It's just the M91 that requires the higher voltage.

It's a matter of preference on the length. For me, the one extra cell length was worth it for the run time and versatility. It's only about an inch more.
But if you prefer it shorter, you can get that too.
And you can get both body tubes if you want to switch back and forth.
true, i guess i'll go with the 2-cell version first and see how it is for me. :)

thanks!
Got my first Elzetta just a couple of days ago Great light!! Got the 2 cell version.

very nice! do you have any temptation for a 3-cell version?

schmanto

Newly Enlightened
I have two 2-cell and one 3-cell elzetta lights. I prefer the 2- cell version. Just because it is shorter and and the runtime ok when i run it on 17650 cells.
I would not buy a elzetta again. Surefire's quality is better in my opinion and i had a really bad experience with their costumer service.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a two cell Hi/Low for sale in the MP. It is a solid light, but it has become a shelf queen so I am selling it.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two 2-cell and one 3-cell elzetta lights. I prefer the 2- cell version. Just because it is shorter and and the runtime ok when i run it on 17650 cells.
I would not buy a elzetta again. Surefire's quality is better in my opinion and i had a really bad experience with their costumer service.

Sorry you had a customer service problem.

I haven't had any problem like that, so I don't know what it is like.

However, I have had some Surefire lights and also the Elzetta, and my opinion is that the Elzetta is far and away the better light.