Best AA Rechargeable Batteries and Charger

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
I would like to switch to using low self discharge batteries instead of regular batteries in several of my electronic devices. To be honest, I haven't had the best experience with rechargeable batteries in the past, but I think that was mostly my own fault for forgetting to charge them before using them.

I looked through an old camera case and came up with:
8 Energizer 2500 mAh AA batteries that say high energy rechargable on them
4 Duracell 1800 mAh AA batteries that say accu on them
6 Rayovac hybrid 2100 mAh AA batteries - I understand these are actually LSD cells
an Energizer CHDC charger and a Rayovac PS32 charger

These batteries were all intended for digital camera use. I stopped using them as I wasn't happy with the runtime and I never seemed to remember to charge the batteries before use. From what I've recently discovered is that the Rayovac Hybrid are actually LSD. I have not charged these batteries in at least 12-14 months as I know I haven't used or charged these batteries since before I moved last July. After learning that these were LSD cells I put two of them in one of my Icon Rogue 2 lights but no dice. I then took a different two and low and behold the light works great. It's a bit less bright than with the new Energizer alcaline cells that I took out, but I find that impressive nonetheless.
I stopped using these batteries as I was not happy with their performance in my Canon digital camera. From doing some reading I see they tend to drop to a bit over 1v under load so I have a feeling Eneloops would work better in the same camera as they are supposed to hold a higher voltage under load. I'm wondering if my camera just thought they were dead due to the voltage drop even though they were not. I plan to use these batteries in flashlights. I have 2 Icon Rogue 2's and one or two Maglite Mini LED's that these will probably work nicely in. I also have a few non-LED mini maglites.

Seeing that I have a Fenix LD01 on the way to be my new EDC light I picked up a pack of Duracell precharged batteries at Staples yesterday. They are the made in Japan/white cap version that are commonly referred to as Duraloops. It is my understanding that these are just as good as the Sanyo Eneloops (if they aren't just rebadged)

I did a couple quick searches and I found that both chargers I have are 'dumb' timed chargers and will not be the best for long term use of any new batteries that I purchase so I would like to get a good 'smart' charger. I don't see the need to spend $50 or more on a charger, but I've found a few that might work well and wanted to see which would be best or if I've missed anything.

Duracell CEF23 under $20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B9ZK4M/?tag=cpf0b6-20
This is the Australian version, but apparently it is the same and comes with 4 AA batteries. There is a chance these might be duraloops too? This seems like the most economical option for a non-used charger

Sony BCG34 $33
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DL9WDG/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Comes with 4 precharged Sony AA batteries that will likely be more similar to the Rayovac Hybrids than Sanyo Eneloops?

Lacrosse BC-700 $30
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RSOV50/?tag=cpf0b6-20
This seems like the best charger out of the bunch as it is more customization and will also discharge (not sure I need that though) it does not come with any batteries making this the most expensive option.

Are there any other options that I'm overlooking? I was looking at possibly getting this Sanyo Eneloop kit that comes with a charger. Is this a smart charger? If this is a good smart charger than I would probably just get the kit and call it a day.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058N6JUE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for an inexpensive AA/AAA NA-MH batteries & charger

I was in your boat in January. I ponied up and got the LC BC-700 and the Maha C-9000 just to fiddle with both. I travel with the BC-700, as it's much smaller.

For batteries, I went with Sanyo 2700 AAs, AccuPower 2900 AA/AAAs, GP ReCyKo 2050 AA LSDs, Eneloop AA/AAA LSDs and some Imedion 2400 AA LSDs.

I have no problems with the Sanyos and AP HSDs, but were I to do it all over again, I'd just buy Eneloops and be done with it. You can get them for under $10 shipped, in sealed blister packs from reputable vendors.

I'm almost at 6 months of a 12 month LSD shootout with the Eneloops, GP ReCyKos and the Imedions. I cycled and charged up 4 of each new battery, measured things, notated charging parameters and I'll discharge them early next year and see if the GPs and the Imedions are ultimately worth the trouble.

Chris

lwknight

Enlightened

I would chunk all the batteries that you mentioned. A few years back I swore off rechargeable batteries because they were all CRAP!! It seemed like every week one died and they were always discharged even after only a few weeks.
Recently ( a few months ago) I learned about Eneloops and a few other LSD batteries. I got a 2 dozen or so eneloops by now and 8 eneloop XX in my TK41. I could not be happier with the performance.
I resolved that energizer lithium was the only choice in my digi-cam till I tried Eneloops. WOW!! They just last and last till you get bored trying to run them down.
I have not tested the XX in my digital camera yet but I would bet that are even better than the regular eneloops.

You can find the 4-packs on Amazon if you keep looking for right at $10.00 and of course there will be some of the same thing for near double that. That said, I also don't really see the justification for the XX when they cost twice as much and don't have all that much more for normal usage like digital cameras.

As for the charger the Sysmax i4 is about 25 bucks and the Maha 9000 ( Cadillac of chargers ) runs around $55.00 average.

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened

Go to CPF marketplace, click on good deals, and in the first few threads you should see one about eneloop glitter at adorama, $20 for 8 cells. These ALL out-tested my standard eneloops. Each cell has a capacity over 2000 mAh. These cells are where it's at. You won't have any problems throwing away the other cells after that.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to switch to using low self discharge batteries instead of regular batteries in several of my electronic devices. To be honest, I haven't had the best experience with rechargeable batteries in the past, but I think that was mostly my own fault for forgetting to charge them before using them.

I looked through an old camera case and came up with:
8 Energizer 2500 mAh AA batteries that say high energy rechargable on them
4 Duracell 1800 mAh AA batteries that say accu on them
6 Rayovac hybrid 2100 mAh AA batteries - I understand these are actually LSD cells
an Energizer CHDC charger and a Rayovac PS32 charger

These batteries were all intended for digital camera use. I stopped using them as I wasn't happy with the runtime and I never seemed to remember to charge the batteries before use. From what I've recently discovered is that the Rayovac Hybrid are actually LSD. I have not charged these batteries in at least 12-14 months as I know I haven't used or charged these batteries since before I moved last July. After learning that these were LSD cells I put two of them in one of my Icon Rogue 2 lights but no dice. I then took a different two and low and behold the light works great. It's a bit less bright than with the new Energizer alcaline cells that I took out, but I find that impressive nonetheless.
I stopped using these batteries as I was not happy with their performance in my Canon digital camera. From doing some reading I see they tend to drop to a bit over 1v under load so I have a feeling Eneloops would work better in the same camera as they are supposed to hold a higher voltage under load. I'm wondering if my camera just thought they were dead due to the voltage drop even though they were not. I plan to use these batteries in flashlights. I have 2 Icon Rogue 2's and one or two Maglite Mini LED's that these will probably work nicely in. I also have a few non-LED mini maglites.

Seeing that I have a Fenix LD01 on the way to be my new EDC light I picked up a pack of Duracell precharged batteries at Staples yesterday. They are the made in Japan/white cap version that are commonly referred to as Duraloops. It is my understanding that these are just as good as the Sanyo Eneloops (if they aren't just rebadged)

I did a couple quick searches and I found that both chargers I have are 'dumb' timed chargers and will not be the best for long term use of any new batteries that I purchase so I would like to get a good 'smart' charger. I don't see the need to spend $50 or more on a charger, but I've found a few that might work well and wanted to see which would be best or if I've missed anything.

Duracell CEF23 under $20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B9ZK4M/?tag=cpf0b6-20
This is the Australian version, but apparently it is the same and comes with 4 AA batteries. There is a chance these might be duraloops too? This seems like the most economical option for a non-used charger

Sony BCG34 $33
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DL9WDG/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Comes with 4 precharged Sony AA batteries that will likely be more similar to the Rayovac Hybrids than Sanyo Eneloops?

Lacrosse BC-700 $30
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RSOV50/?tag=cpf0b6-20
This seems like the best charger out of the bunch as it is more customization and will also discharge (not sure I need that though) it does not come with any batteries making this the most expensive option.

Are there any other options that I'm overlooking? I was looking at possibly getting this Sanyo Eneloop kit that comes with a charger. Is this a smart charger? If this is a good smart charger than I would probably just get the kit and call it a day.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058N6JUE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

To respond to the charger question:

The Sony BCG34 or the earlier version with the LCD display has been used by my extended family in the US and Germany as well as several trademen in the US w/o any reported problems and no failures. It also has a discharge function. The single disadvantage for a flashaholic is that there are no settings for the charge or discharge. That is an advantage when the average population is involved. The Sony Cyclenergy cells have proven to be LSD cells and tests with the BC-900 indicate that they all comply with their spec - to the extent of the BC-900 capabilities.

The LC BC-700 is a good charger. I had two BC-900 and two BC-700 chargers and had no problems over several years. Note that I very rarely used the 1000ma or higher charge rate available on the BC-900. I limit myself to the 350ma discharge and 700 ma charge rates with no problems. Due to prep'ing for a move eventually to Germany, I am down to a single BC-900, primarily because I was offered a deal for the pair of BC-700s.

Alternatively if you are squeezed for space, check out this 2-slot smart charger with independent slots although a single readout:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AVH3VS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I have several copies of this charger and have handed it out to several people with no reported problems.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

forgot one more charger: The Titanium 4-slot smart charger with LCD display and a discharge function available from BatteryJunction. Check out the sticky compilation by Unforgiven at the top of the forum with testing of a variety of AA chargers by Silverfox. His ratings for this charger were reasonable as well.

lwknight

Enlightened

I would say to stay away from the "Titaniun MD-3000" completely. The cells get really hot and still don't even get a full charge.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
To respond to the charger question:

The Sony BCG34 or the earlier version with the LCD display has been used by my extended family in the US and Germany as well as several trademen in the US w/o any reported problems and no failures. It also has a discharge function. The single disadvantage for a flashaholic is that there are no settings for the charge or discharge. That is an advantage when the average population is involved. The Sony Cyclenergy cells have proven to be LSD cells and tests with the BC-900 indicate that they all comply with their spec - to the extent of the BC-900 capabilities.

The LC BC-700 is a good charger. I had two BC-900 and two BC-700 chargers and had no problems over several years. Note that I very rarely used the 1000ma or higher charge rate available on the BC-900. I limit myself to the 350ma discharge and 700 ma charge rates with no problems. Due to prep'ing for a move eventually to Germany, I am down to a single BC-900, primarily because I was offered a deal for the pair of BC-700s.

Alternatively if you are squeezed for space, check out this 2-slot smart charger with independent slots although a single readout:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AVH3VS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I have several copies of this charger and have handed it out to several people with no reported problems.

So this charger for under $13 shipped will get me started and I won't have to worry about overcharging my new batteries? I'm liking this price as it will allow me to spend more on actual cells. I can always upgrade later. It would travel well in a camera case or car too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

So this charger for under $13 shipped will get me started and I won't have to worry about overcharging my new batteries? I'm liking this price as it will allow me to spend more on actual cells. I can always upgrade later. It would travel well in a camera case or car too.

yes, to the extent of my experience with 7 copies of this charger (so far) as they passed thru my hands and used each of them a couple times as a check before passing them off to non-flashaholics. No problems were reported from the recipients.

Comments on this Sanyo charger: It is a "smart" charger with 1 or 2 cell capability, but either AAA or AA capability, not both at the same time because the adapter bar flips up or down for both slots. The single LED serves both slots. When the LED turns off, whatever cells are in the slots are charged. You can insert another cell of the same size at any time w/o affecting the first cell. The disadvantage is that you do not know which cell may already be finished to be able to use. Per the sheet of paper that serves as a "manual", there is a bad cell rejection, which I assume is based on high resistance. Although the termination method was not stated, based on the heating of the cells, it appears to be something like the -dV method.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

an additional comment on the Sanyo 2-slot charger purchase source: Amazon appears to be offering this charger with the older Eneloop cells or the later 1500 cycle Eneloop cells. Your choice which one. I have not seen any offering that lists the 1800 cycle Eneloop, which I am not sure exists.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

yet another comment on the Sanyo 2-slot charger: I have not observed any problems with initiating a charge on a NiMH cell that was nearly zero volts. Some chargers will refuse to initiate charging until the cell voltage is at some level.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up.

I registered on CPF marketplace, but don't see a deals section. Do I have to have a certain number of posts before gaining access?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up.

I registered on CPF marketplace, but don't see a deals section. Do I have to have a certain number of posts before gaining access?

Correct, I believe the needed number of posts is 2, after which the Good Deals section will show up in forum list. There should be a statement in the Marketplace administrative section.

Similarly, note that the Budget Light forum on CPF itself does not show up until the CPF member has logged in.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha. Ill have to spend some time over there. I did see some glow in the dark lanyards that look pretty sweet.

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
Best AA/AAA battery Charger? Maha, Lacrosse, etc... As of August 2012

From what I can tell these are the two leaders in AA/AAA chargers:

• Maha MH-C9000
  • Lacrosse Technology BC1000

Is the MH-C9000 still considered better than the Lacrosse BC1000? Is there another competitor I should look at? Just getting an up to date forum consensus.

Older threads on this topic:[/COLOR][/h]
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rosse-Technology-BC1000-Alpha-battery-charger

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best AA/AAA battery Charger? Maha, Lacrosse, etc... As of August 2012

From what I can tell these are the two leaders in AA/AAA chargers:

• Maha MH-C9000
  • Lacrosse Technology BC1000

Is the MH-C9000 still considered better than the Lacrosse BC1000? Is there another competitor I should look at? Just getting an up to date forum consensus.

Older threads on this topic:[/COLOR][/h]
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rosse-Technology-BC1000-Alpha-battery-charger

THe Maha C9000 is better than the BC1000, or BC900, or BC700. However do pay attention to the UI differences. Also, the size of the C9000 is large, which keeps the cells cooler for sure, but also takes a lot of space in a carry-on luggage.

There are good chargers in the "small" size as well. Check out the sticky by Unforgiven at the top of the forum. Inside is a comparison of AA chargers by Silverfox. Many of the chargers are still sold. The Titanium TG2800 is my preference from that list, primarily because I travel a lot.

jais

Newly Enlightened

How about Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable batteries like Tenergy and Camelion? Are these good?

jais

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the heads up.

After 3 posts will resolve it.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable batteries like Tenergy and Camelion? Are these good?

It would be helpful if we knew which lights you planned to use these LSD NiMH cells in. Some lights draw very high currents, in the 2.5A range.

Tests and graphs on CPF show Eneloop to be the best at holding the voltage up during high-currents. So, for example, if you were looking for LSD cells to be used in an electronic flash, then Eneloop would be the preference.

FWIW, I have Eneloop, Imedion, and Sony CycleEnergy (or something like that). They all have demonstrated sufficient low self-discharge characteristics, including use in a computer mouse.

Last edited: