Looking for a new light to rotate with my E1B?

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying my E1B for over a year now with nothing ever kicking it out of my pocket. I love the light. The other night I was walking my dogs, though, and my light died. It's a bit frustrating since I have to order SF batteries online and I'm on my last cell. I took out my phone and hit the flashlight app and to my surprise found that the pure floody nature of it was actually very refreshing. I could see more of what was right in front of me than I could with my E1B, and it got me thinking: Maybe it would be nice to have something more floody in the same or a similar form factor.

So I'm hoping to look at a few single cell lights, AA or CR123 (not picky, and I wouldn't mind having a AA light to find new cells for easier anyway) with a good output and flood (XM-L?) and a pocket clip that doesn't leave TOO much light sticking out of the pocket. I also love the simplicity of the Surefire, so a 2-3 mode light would be just right. Any suggestions, guys?

tonkem

Enlightened
You might look at the Zebralight Sc80, can use either AA or 1 Cr123, without any external body extenders. I have one and it is my EDC, along with my Surefire E1L :) You could also look at just purchasing a F04 diffuser for the E1B, and save a bit of funds, then you could purchase more Cr123 batteries :)

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
My apologies to the mod who moved this thread. I haven't been on these forums in about a year now so I'll have to get used to the different forum sections here again.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cheapest solution is to get an f 04 diffuser for your e 1 b. if you are open to a twisty I would recommend the 47 mini 123. I've had mine for a little over a year now and I love it, but it serves a slightly different purpose than the e 1 b and requires 2 hands to operate

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Cheap is good and all, but I'd like to get a new light into my collection. I haven't gotten a new light in over a year now! I have the bug. I'm sure you guys know how that goes!

Pocket clip carry is necessary, by the way! I'm a big time EDCer and a light won't fit in my pocket without riding up on a clip.

Up All Night

Enlightened
You can check out Eagletac D25C "clicky". I have the larger D25LC2 and it's only 3/4 of an inch longer than my E1B. It comes with a nice sleeve to load 2 cr123's and if you want to go rechargeable it will take two 16340's or one 18650. The XM-L provides a huge wall of light with decent throw. The only reason I stopped carryng the E1B is it's a little small for my hands, I love it but it's no contest in output against the Eagletac. Yes it has a decent clip!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
D25A Ti Clicky in NW. Can't get a smaller AA XML clicky with a decent clip and beautiful Ti body. Low and medium are programmable between two sets of lumen choices.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a 4Sevens Quark/Tactical. They are click operated and I believe they have clips as well.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Try a 4Sevens Quark/Tactical. They are click operated and I believe they have clips as well.

I actually destroyed 2 Quark 1232s extremely quickly before switching to Surefire. I really liked them, especially the pocket clips, but I may have been a bit too hard on them. They didn't hold up quite as well as my SF and Fenix lights. :(

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually destroyed 2 Quark 1232s extremely quickly before switching to Surefire. I really liked them, especially the pocket clips, but I may have been a bit too hard on them. They didn't hold up quite as well as my SF and Fenix lights. :(

Yes, unfortunately once you're used to SF's durability the rest kind of pale in comparison. Maybe an HDS light with a clip?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you test out their warranty?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can check out Eagletac D25C "clicky". I have the larger D25LC2 and it's only 3/4 of an inch longer than my E1B. It comes with a nice sleeve to load 2 cr123's and if you want to go rechargeable it will take two 16340's or one 18650. The XM-L provides a huge wall of light with decent throw. The only reason I stopped carryng the E1B is it's a little small for my hands, I love it but it's no contest in output against the Eagletac. Yes it has a decent clip!

This what I bought to rotate with my Surefire E1L.

In fact my Surefire is retired and looks fat and overweight.

Lucciola

Enlightened

That's interresting. I use a Quark 123² as a kind of "duty" light meaning I have to rely on it. Would you mind giving some more details how you destroyed yours? I'm a bit worried now and would like to know in which kind of use the light has already failed with you.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
One of the 123 lights had it's rubber clicky cap tear open and I have no idea how it happened, but they took care of it. I gave it to my dad after that, and he proceeded to also tear up the cap lol but he still uses it without it and it's been fine for him. He doesn't mind the lack of rubber cap. After thinking back on it, it was actually only 1 1232 with those issues. I gifted a Neutral 1232 to a friend of mine and he loves that one. The other light I had an issue with was a Preon 2. It had some UI issues. The regular 3 modes were fine, but the flashing modes got all messed up after a couple of months. That one never got warranty service. Didn't care to send it in since I was so enamored with my new-at-the-time E1B.

I have looked at the HDS lights, but the ones I've seen are a bit too complicated for my tastes. Might be worth checking out anyway, though. I just really like 2 mode lights like my E1B and a recently gifted Thrunite Ti.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened

Probably shouldn't have said "destroyed" considering it was pretty much just a tailcap. I was still trying to wake myself up with super strong coffee when I posted this, though, so I apologize.

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at the HDS lights, but the ones I've seen are a bit too complicated for my tastes. Might be worth checking out anyway, though. I just really like 2 mode lights like my E1B and a recently gifted Thrunite Ti.

Thats the great thing about HDS lights are that they are customizable. Set the first 2 modes for what you want and you never even have to use the other levels. I honestly only use 3 modes on my HDS, but if I want the other modes... They are there.