Reflector Focus In Macs EDC (reflectored) lights

jjohnson34

Newly Enlightened
So I did some searching and cannot find anything at all on this, but I was wondering if anyone knows if Mac glues the reflectors to the pill in his EDC lights? (The reflectored EDC lights obviously). And also if anyone has detached the reflector from the pill and how they did it? Was there any damage to either part? Any tips? Input from anyone having done this or not is much appreciated. I'm 99.9% sure i can get them apart without any problems, but i've been 99.9% sure about many things that didnt quite turn out right. Anyway the reason I'm asking is because I wanted to play around with the reflector focus to see if raising the LED will give me a little tighter beam. (Theres nothing wrong with the focus or beam on either of my Mac EDC's, I just cant leave anything alone and unmodified. Even if its perfect to start with).

jjohnson34

Newly Enlightened
Well I'll answer my own question then. Yes he does glue the reflector down. However I got mine apart without any damage (besides the white glue) and with a little playing around I was able to modify a small (spacer) and attached it where the original reflector sat. The purpose of doing this was to try my spare McR20s reflector to see how it worked. The spacer was needed since the McR20s is considerably shorter. I love the beam that my McGizmo Slate PD-S has and I wanted to see how this reflector would work on my Macs XML EDC. I like the new beam alot, and even though it isnt all that much different than the original reflector, I can now adjust the Led in and out of the reflector slightly by bending tabs on the spacer to focus to my liking. Not only that, but now Im gonna see if the spacer can be removed alltogether and with the shorter McR20s, If the L.E. can be stuffed into the shorter head of my Macs Tri. I like the shorter head of the Tri, but I like the more throwy beam of the XML head. Maybe I can have both!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'll answer my own question then. Yes he does glue the reflector down. However I got mine apart without any damage (besides the white glue) and with a little playing around I was able to modify a small (spacer) and attached it where the original reflector sat. The purpose of doing this was to try my spare McR20s reflector to see how it worked. The spacer was needed since the McR20s is considerably shorter. I love the beam that my McGizmo Slate PD-S has and I wanted to see how this reflector would work on my Macs XML EDC. I like the new beam alot, and even though it isnt all that much different than the original reflector, I can now adjust the Led in and out of the reflector slightly by bending tabs on the spacer to focus to my liking. Not only that, but now Im gonna see if the spacer can be removed alltogether and with the shorter McR20s, If the L.E. can be stuffed into the shorter head of my Macs Tri. I like the shorter head of the Tri, but I like the more throwy beam of the XML head. Maybe I can have both!

The SST-50-EDC lights originally shipped with the MCR20 reflectors. There was an improvement in throw using the newer reflector that shipped with your light....why you would go backwards is a question you would have to answer :)

jjohnson34

Newly Enlightened
The SST-50-EDC lights originally shipped with the MCR20 reflectors. There was an improvement in throw using the newer reflector that shipped with your light....why you would go backwards is a question you would have to answer :)

Yeah I wasnt sure what the result would be until I tried it out. Thats why I tried asking if anybody had played around with trying different reflectors but nobody had replied. I see now that it doesnt throw as well but there isnt too much difference honestly. And I havent had time to try yet, but if I can make it fit into the shorter TRI head with the McR20 reflector, that would be worth the effort to me. Not only that, But playing around with the lights I purchase, (tinkering, modifying, etc), is half the enjoyment of owning them. (for me anyway).