Banggood Network
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best AA-powered flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by reppans

My AA^2 tube became my tact-cool spare batt container for my EDC bag. I got lots of hungry portable AA e-toys to feed.
    Do you prefer the tact or reg ui? I got the tact and I kinda want the reg quark x now too... That means I'm gonna need two AA bodies

Default Re: Best AA-powered flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by GForGeep View Post
    Do you prefer the tact or reg ui? I got the tact and I kinda want the reg quark x now too... That means I'm gonna need two AA bodies
    I'm definitely a reg. UI type. I'm always trying to preserve my night vision, conserve batts, and maximize runtimes (I'm a camper) so that means always using the lowest lumen level to accomplish a given task, starting from the lowest level. Getting locked into two levels would drive me nuts. I also tail-stand a lot with my lantern attachment.

Duplicate... deleted

If it weren't for the blinky modes, I would love the regular UI.

I have 2 favorites: (1) Shining Beam Caveman and (2) Surefire Outdoorsman. Both great lights!

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    I'm definitely a reg. UI type. I'm always trying to preserve my night vision, conserve batts, and maximize runtimes (I'm a camper) so that means always using the lowest lumen level to accomplish a given task, starting from the lowest level. Getting locked into two levels would drive me nuts. I also tail-stand a lot with my lantern attachment.

+1 here. The tactical UI is good for high stress situations or for handing to a non enthusiast, but the regular UI is far more useful. I have a 123 tactical and a 123-2 regular. The tactical will be relegated to wife's car duty.

I really like the Olight S65 for around the house. I use the 200 lumen mode with the diffuser for a great area flood and unbeatable runtime.

You might want to look at the Maglite XL50, XL100 and XL200. Around the house XL50 is fine. If you were on a boat I'd at least get the XL100, since it does S.O.S., among many other things. If you want to spend $50, then you could get the XL200. That one's good for hunting and chasing wild animals at night.

If you want to go on the cheap, I'd put a Terralux TLE-5EX bulb ($15) in your Mini-Mag to get 100+ lumens and 2-3X the batt life. Here's a link. On the right most is your old Mag-lite. On the left most is what a 3rd gen LED bulb does in your Mini-mag for $15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-wrbJTQyo

You guys convinced me with Jetbeam PA40. I just ordered one. Can't wait to test it out. All the reviews seem positive so far.

Lightbulb Looking for a good, bright, efficient single AA light?

I like the idea of single AA lights, since they've gotten brighter and more efficient.

The only single AA light I now own is the Jetbeam PA-10. Its nice, has a very thick, tough body, pretty bright for an AA light at around 140L on high. Plus, you can even put in a 14500 for supposedly 650 Lumens, but it will probably get hot if you leave it on 650L for extended periods. Its beam is mostly neutral, even though my PC-10 which I bought at the same time has a cool, blue-ish beam tint. But I dont really use the 14500 option in it, and I just keep the 1.2v Eneloop as its primary battery source.

Recently I've seen another light that runs at 200L on high with 1 AA. Its the Zebralight SC-51. Just like most ZL's, it has the one side switch and each mode has a sub level, and I think high has 2 sublevels, for a total of 7 brightness levels. I own a ZL SC600, and its clearly a flooder. So I wonder if the SC-51 is also a flooder. The SC-51 has an XP-G, which is obviously smaller than the XM-L in my SC600, which would normally mean that it would be more of a thrower in the same size reflector, but the SC51 reflector is smaller, so I cant tell what its beam profile is going to be like. I'd like a happy medium type beam. Does anyone own one of these?

I read somewhere else here where someone mentioned another Zebralight that runs on 1-AA and has a max brightness of 260L on an AA. I havent been able to find that one. There is the ZL SC80, which runs on either a CR123 or 1-AA, and you just have to switch around an adapter in the front of the head to switch batteries. I watched the beamshots of it on goinggear's youtube video, and its not always easy to see a lights beam on video, but it looks OK. It just doesnt look much brighter than my PA-10, but maybe its just the video quality holding it back.

I also found this lesser known AA light at intl-outdoor.com called the "X-Power Galaxy" AA light. It's $34, runs on 1-AA at up to 170L, with a low of 2L, and medium-70L. Its got an XP-G R5, and comes in black or gold, but I dont know if its any good.

Anyone got any other good ideas, or know more about these lights^?

Have you looked at the jetbeam RRT-0? You have the option of running on a AA, cr123, or a 14500. You have to have the extender tube to run it on AA or 14500. When I bought mine it came with the tube. Also has the infinite ramping ring witch is pretty neat.

Default Re: Looking for a good, bright, efficient single AA light?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbeck180 View Post
    Have you looked at the jetbeam RRT-0? You have the option of running on a AA, cr123, or a 14500. You have to have the extender tube to run it on AA or 14500. When I bought mine it came with the tube. Also has the infinite ramping ring witch is pretty neat.

Yeah, I looked at that light, and I like the control ring, but its expensive at $114, and only has a high of 110L on AA's, and only like 220L on CR123. Plus they said the extender for the AA is optional and extra price.

Also, there was and might still be a list of AA lights on here somewhere. Do a google search for list of AA light that might help.

Yup, I found it. Thread name, single AA LED light list.

Enlightened

I've been carrying my Jetbeam PA10 which uses a single AA battery. All I use in it are the store bought Energizers or Duracells whichever. I seem to squeeze just a tad bit more light out of the bunny personally but that is just my observations. If you use this light on the max it will go through batteries pretty quick but I use it most of the time on the 55 Lumen setting and find it to be both brighter and a better wall of light for walking than my old Streamlight Protac 1A which is also a fine single AA battery light with a max though of 50 Lumens as I recall. I don't know about the ratings on this Jetbeam all I do know is that it throws out a great wall of light to see perfectly well where I'm walking or wanting to see and for ample throw in front of me to impress. To be perfectly honest all the negative review of this light come from the guys pushing to use the rechargable batteries it can use but I've not messed with that. Its plenty bright with the regulars and you don't have to worry about burning yourself. To give you an idea of what thrills me about this little light is that it puts out better light than my Honda Riding mower does with both headlights on. The guy that can find fault with this little light must be pretty spoiled indeed because it was like the sunrise under the hood of my car the other day when I needed a light and so impressive even the mechanic who had his light (Snap On) out at the time had to stop and say a "Holy Crap!"

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I've been carrying my Jetbeam PA10 which uses a single AA battery. All I use in it are the store bought Energizers or Duracells whichever. I seem to squeeze just a tad bit more light out of the bunny personally but that is just my observations. If you use this light on the max it will go through batteries pretty quick but I use it most of the time on the 55 Lumen setting and find it to be both brighter and a better wall of light for walking than my old Streamlight Protac 1A which is also a fine single AA battery light with a max though of 50 Lumens as I recall. I don't know about the ratings on this Jetbeam all I do know is that it throws out a great wall of light to see perfectly well where I'm walking or wanting to see and for ample throw in front of me to impress. To be perfectly honest all the negative review of this light come from the guys pushing to use the rechargable batteries it can use but I've not messed with that. Its plenty bright with the regulars and you don't have to worry about burning yourself. To give you an idea of what thrills me about this little light is that it puts out better light than my Honda Riding mower does with both headlights on. The guy that can find fault with this little light must be pretty spoiled indeed because it was like the sunrise under the hood of my car the other day when I needed a light and so impressive even the mechanic who had his light (Snap On) out at the time had to stop and say a "Holy Crap!"

yeah, I totally agree! I really like the Pa-10. After buying it a couple months ago, I read even more reviews of it, and thats when I found some more recent negative comments, and I think one of the issues was that it supposedly isnt as efficient or doesnt have as good runtimes as some thought it should, but I've only had 1 Eneloop in mine since the day I bought it, and that Eneloop battery was right out of the box, and probably didnt have a full charge either, yet I havent had to take it out and recharge it yet. Its really think too, so you could probably run it over with a Humvee and not damage it.

The only reason I'm asking this question is that I only have 1 single AA light, and I'd like another, which I might give to a girlfriend at some point. Or just keep it and buy her another if I like it a lot! I first jumped on the single CR123 bandwagon for EDC lights, but I think the newer, more powerful single AA lights are almost just as bright as some of the CR123 lights, plus batteries are cheaper and easier to find.

I just ordered the Zebralight SC51W and I can't wait to test it out! I can say though from reading reviews that it is certainly not a flooder. They actually make a flood version but it's still not as floody as the 600. Check out some reviews. It's one of the smallest and brightest single AA lights and I for one really like the UI.

Also, there was and might still be a list of AA lights on here somewhere. Do a google search for list of AA light that might help.

Yeah, I did that before I started this thread, and found the single AA LED light list thread at CPF....From 2.5 years ago! In that period of time, most lights from then arent even made anymore, and they would be less efficient and less powerful too. In the last 10 years or so, lights become obsolete very quickly. I was mostly just looking to get people's opinions on some of the AA lights that people have bought and owned for a while. I did a LOT of looking into AA lights over the last 6 months, but there are a few I missed, and a few new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    Yeah, I did that before I started this thread, and found the single AA LED light list thread at CPF....From 2.5 years ago! In that period of time, most lights from then arent even made anymore, and they would be less efficient and less powerful too. In the last 10 years or so, lights become obsolete very quickly. I was mostly just looking to get people's opinions on some of the AA lights that people have bought and owned for a while. I did a LOT of looking into AA lights over the last 6 months, but there are a few I missed, and a few new ones.
    I will agree, lights do become obsolete quickly. almost as quick as computer technology :0)

Have you gave any thought about getting a x2AA light? Eagletac's P100a2 gives out over 300 lumens. This light is great throw with a little bit of flood.

Enlightened

I've owned quite a few of the latest offerings in single AA lights. From my perspective after looking at what was out there the Jetbeam is all the Protac 1A is and more. I don't see any real diff between the two for battery life when the JB is on the 55 Lumen setting. In every other area it has the same features really with the additonal option to really bring up a wall of light. The TerraLux 100 and the BA10 are other lights I own or owned and then several of the two AA lights from Fenix, and Streamlight, JetBeam and MagLite. Of all of them in my opinion the PA10 beats them with only being weak in the focus of the beam and taking a back seat for throw to some of the others available. It makes up for that for what it does in the local viewing area though. Its not perfect but in the single AA its one of the top pieces available if you ask me. The Quark and 4sevens companies are two I have not owned but had planned to because I hear good things about them but after finding the PA10 I basically found all I ever wanted and more and something that made me quite happy so I just quit buying lights after that one and carry it along with my other EDC stuff all the time..

The Zebralight H51 is the one with 260 lumen. It's a pure flood light though and the warm and high CRI versions don't get over 200 lumen (170 for the high CRI version, and 142 for the warm white version).

IMO, the SC51 has more of a medium range beam. The SC80 can take both CR123s and AAs, similar output to the SC51 on AAs though. If you'll be using 14500 batteries, go with a small XM-L light that also takes the Li-ion batteries well.

For a normal 1 AA battery, Zebralight probably has the brightest ones.

Let me just throw here one more light that everyone seems to ignore in this forum - Spark SL5-220CW. In my opinion this is the absolute winner for the 1AA/14500 format (I own the Zebralight SC51 too). It may not be quite as efficient as the Zebralight, but it is a little bit brighter on Turbo (AA) and it can take 14500 batteries. Last but not least - it uses XM-L compared to the SC51's XP-G.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a AA flashlight for hiking at night? Amount of AA batteries doesn't matter to me. I'm assuming I need the light to be bright enough at 100 feet and not blinding at 6 feet. In terms of size, I would like it to fit in the chest pocket of a ski jacket (or something similar). Thanks in advance.

I've read through all the comments here and I'm assuming the consensus might be between:
    zebralight SC51 or SC52
    Olight S65
    Fenix TK15
    Sunwayman M40A
    Eagletac P100a2
    Nitecore EA4

Any other suggestions or any from this list I should remove from consideration?
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mystiqz; 12-11-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiqz View Post
    Amount of AA batteries doesn't matter to me... <snip>
    How many hours do you want your flashlight to run? (Are you willing to carry spare batteries with you?) Typically, more batteries translates into longer run times. Of course, flashlights tend to run much longer on lower (less bright) settings, so that can also be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiqz View Post
    I'm assuming I need the light to be bright enough at 100 feet and not blinding at 6 feet... <snip>
    The perceived brightness of a flashlight can depend greatly on the amount of ambient light. Also, while I have no personal experience with this, I presume that the reflective properties of snow might make a considerable difference in how bright your flashlight seems to be.

Anyway, while you might consider them to be a bit pricey, I think you should look into the Sunwayman models that allow you to select any brightness level you want (fully variable output from 1 to 140 lumens (in the case of the "V10A" with a single AA battery), or from 1 to 570 lumens (in the case of the V11R which can use either a single CR123A, RCR123A, 16340 or a single AA, 14500 battery with the optional AA extender).

Personally, I think the "continuously variable magnetic control ring" used on both the V10A and V11R models is extremely elegant. (Or, in more "childish" terms: just plain cool!)
    Last edited by Rosoku Chikara; 12-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    My avatar photo is that of a small handmade toy boat that propels itself along the water in a realistic "chug-chug" kind of motion, yet is powered entirely by CandlePower. (Japanese children used to make them out of various types of junk, but now they are largely a "lost art.")

Hey Rosoku,

Thanks for the info.
    To answer your questions:
    - I will not be carrying spare batteries so I would like for the flashlight to run for about 2 hrs.
    - In terms of the environment, it would be in the woods/hiking areas where there are no city light around.

Thanks!

Default Best AA-powered flashlight?

And you can run the 18350 as well! IMO - best light of the year!!

Default Best AA-powered flashlight?

If you're looking at the EA4 then take a look at the sunwayman D40A. It takes 4 aa batteries and it's UI is fantastic.

Thanks. Hmm. The D40A is cheaper, that's a plus

Quote Originally Posted by geraldL View Post
    If you're looking at the EA4 then take a look at the sunwayman D40A. It takes 4 aa batteries and it's UI is fantastic.

Flashaholic

You can't go wrong with a tk41.I have the older version and its awesome its definitely on the thrower side. The build quality is top notch.lf you were to want something more compact you could go with sunwayman D40A or D40Avn at a whooping 1480 led lumen.

Flashaholic

Single AA - Armytek Partner A1. Very rugged, bright, throws far. Fits in a pocket and can use AA, rechargeable AA and li-ion rechargeable 14,500 batteries. Good run time on "low" which is still bright. No silly strobes and things just two levels with a tail switch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12