looking for a big throw light

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm in the market for a big throw light i dont use 18650's so the thrunite tn31 is out. Ive been looking at the fenix tk70 it looks like an awesome light and the size does not bother me. Ive also been looking at the Olight sr90 i have a m3x so i know the quality of olight but its like $100 bucks more than the fenix and that's with ordering the charger and batteries for the tk70. Any input or suggestions would be great thanks guys

Eric

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How much throw would you like? One of the 4 AA lights might work for a decent amount of throw at a smaller size.

sbbsga

Enlightened
Technically, the Olight SR-series lights use 18650 too but I think get what you mean.

Personally, I would go for Olight SR because I could save time on researching, choosing and buying the D NiMH cells and charger. Also, the SR charger has a place in the case, so everything can be stored away neatly.

All the best and enjoy!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Get the SR90 SBT vinhnguyen54 is selling on the market place. It is his ring fundraiser.

The TK70 is good for the price, brighter than the SR90 but dosen't throw quiet as far, just a little less but it has sort of narrow spill.

That SBT90 will outthrow both

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I am biased, as I've never owned an Olight product, but I personally prefer the TK70. The light is sufficient for my needs and any more throw would be wasted 99% of the time. The NiMH batteries are a simple choice; Tenergy Premiums with a Maha 808 charger. I have a total of 12 cells, meaning I always have juice on hand, even when I've been working the light all night long. In a pinch, power outage, or emergency, this light can even run in lower modes off alkaline cells. Wrap all that up, save a stack of loot, I wouldn't be in the market for the battery pack driven Olight myself.

The best part is the money aspect to me. I was able to get the light, charger (which can double and charge your eneloops as well), and 4 cells, then later add 4 more cells once I recovered from the initial investment. Then later 4 more...

If you ever feel like battery life is a concern, you could continually enhance your cell collection without buying a bunch of good-for-one-thing Olight battery packs.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am biased, as I've never owned an Olight product, but I personally prefer the TK70. The light is sufficient for my needs and any more throw would be wasted 99% of the time. The NiMH batteries are a simple choice; Tenergy Premiums with a Maha 808 charger. I have a total of 12 cells, meaning I always have juice on hand, even when I've been working the light all night long. In a pinch, power outage, or emergency, this light can even run in lower modes off alkaline cells. Wrap all that up, save a stack of loot, I wouldn't be in the market for the battery pack driven Olight myself.

The best part is the money aspect to me. I was able to get the light, charger (which can double and charge your eneloops as well), and 4 cells, then later add 4 more cells once I recovered from the initial investment. Then later 4 more...

If you ever feel like battery life is a concern, you could continually enhance your cell collection without buying a bunch of good-for-one-thing Olight battery packs.

+ 100 ! but mine with Imedion D 9500mAh LSD cells and iCharger 106B+ hobby charger

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Check out THIS CPF Marketplace post. Teej over there has some beamshots of the TK70 vs the SR90, which is an older light now (The SR95 has all but made the SR90 obsolete, unless you get a modded one, such as the one mentioned above, also in the Marketplace). Teej's opinion was it depends on the distance you're trying to illuminate. Anything under 400 meters, the TK-70 is the go to light, anything over the TK-70 doesn't light up, so the SR90 is the go to light.

Last edited:

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
I'm really pleased with the performance of the Olight SR95UT (SBT-90), and the SR95 Intimidator (SST-90). If I had to choose one, I'd go with the SR95UT. As someone who is new to high performance flashlights, these things are really stunning. The beam on the UT version is very focused and actually does reach out to about 900 yards. The SST-90 SR95 is great too, but I much prefer the UT version. I guess I fall into the 1% that does need that kind of throw. I also have the Niteye EYE-30 Desert tan finish, and the EYE-40 SS. I really like the Niteye lights. They are the perfect mix of throw and flood. I just got the EYE-40 yesterday, and while I like the looks of the EYE-30 better, the 40 is brighter, throws further, and provides a ton of flood. The handle on both models is awesome. Provided it doesn't snap from the force of impact, the light could be used as a formidable weapon. Hammer fists would be deadly with this thing. I basically agree with Obsessed but replace the Niteye lights for the TK-70. I'm going to buy a TK-70, so maybe he obsessed is correct. However, so much light from such a small package, and the nice handle makes me think I'd grab the EYE lights. I guess we'll see when the TK-70 arrives!

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for an HID, Magnalight makes a dual mode 35/55w HID light called the HIDH-3550. They claim it throws a 7,000 foot (2,133.6m) beam in the high setting and puts out 4,700 lumen. I'm not into HID lights, and the price tag on this thing is about $2,500.00 USD.