will a 32650 Li ion work in a D cell holder?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been reading briefly about the 32650. 1. Why are people not concerned if these are protected or not? 2. Will these fit in a D cell holder? (Anyone try yet?)

If you could fit in a D cell holder, I just might convert a few lights to these when price get to about $10 a cell. 18650's never appealed to me because of the holder issue, and low capacity of under 4 amp hours (2200 to 3000 mah is still not a full work day of runtime at over .5 to .7 amps)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
D cell holder?
:thinking:
I thought 32650 is pretty much a D-cell
(slightly longer, so springs have to be compressed more, but should be possible with slight modding)

PS: imho it s NOT worth.
The light gets so much awkwardly bigger for not really more energy stored (especially as You are planning for normal currents), that it does not make sense to switch away from an 18650 light/host and probably a spare cell ...

PPS: some ppl might not be concerned, because they plan for high drain devices.
With IMR cells there is more energy stored than 18650s.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. For work lights, swapping cells during work day present many difficulties--customers that are paying hourly watching; excuse for hourly workers to take breaks; no so bright hourly guys not knowing when to swap; managing charge on dozens of cells and charger time. It is just so nice to have a light with a day or greater runtime; life is easier.

I am guessing, it would still be lighter than 4 AA for a headlamp. I am guessing protected would drop you to low 4 amp/hr range. (400 milliamps for 10 hours is nice with a 160+lumen/watt light).

D cell holder?

I thought 32650 is pretty much a D-cell
(slightly longer, so springs have to be compressed more, but should be possible with slight modding)

PS: imho it s NOT worth.
The light gets so much awkwardly bigger for not really more energy stored (especially as You are planning for normal currents), that it does not make sense to switch away from an 18650 light/host and probably a spare cell ...

PPS: some ppl might not be concerned, because they plan for high drain devices.
With IMR cells there is more energy stored than 18650s.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the definition of over drawing/low voltage draw down, for a Li Ion? (My only experience with Li Ions is cell phone batteries (that need replacing every year), Camera (which works okay with backup), and mp3 player (always dead when needed). I think most now are lithium polymers for saftey reasons.

I bought one cr123 light, lost half the batteries in one job, and so threw the short running p4 light away with never really getting any use out of it.