AW soft start - how to test it?

walterr839

Enlightened
Looking for help from the more experienced on the list

I have been enjoying my old M6 and found a used AW soft start (model B) switch on line. Of course it didn't fit the M6 so
I got a 3x18650 Megalennium B body. that works as expected and the AW soft start 3 level switch fits.

but when I install the AW switch - there is no light.

I don't know if the switch is at fault and I don't know how to test it. being a 3 level switch I assume if has to be powered to work so just testing for
continuity would be useless test.

Can any of the more enlightened chime in on this?

Thanks

Walter in Rhode Island

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walter - I am reading through your post and I am a bit confused. Did you mean to say that the Mega B works fine on a regular McClicky Switch but not on the SoftStart?

Something you should check is how compressed the spring on the SS needs to be compressed by the end cap when screwing it down to work properly. I have found with a few Mega (A and B versions) that the SS spring can be too long and really gets compressed and squeezes to tight on the electronics and sometimes doesn't work.

If you can test with alligator clips to see if the SS switch works with the end cap screwed down the I would recommend shortening the spring by about 50% and then trying again.

walterr839

Enlightened
It works with the regular McClicky but not with the soft start.

I think the spring is OK but I will check

trying with alligator clips is a good idea

I have a feeling the switch is bad .. I hope not

walterr839

Enlightened
solved. Tested the switch with a bulb and a battery pack out of the light and I was relieved to see it worked. Back in the light it didn't. Turns out the AW Soft Start spring was too short and not making contact. Solved temporarily with a magnet

So it works and I am delighted. Next a more permanent solution

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
solved. Tested the switch with a bulb and a battery pack out of the light and I was relieved to see it worked. Back in the light it didn't. Turns out the AW Soft Start spring was too short and not making contact. Solved temporarily with a magnet

So it works and I am delighted. Next a more permanent solution

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great to hear - it would suck to have a dead SoftStart. I just managed to get a couple for my lights but it was HARD. They are out of production, AW doesn't have any more and isn't planning on making anymore.

Glad the magnet works but obviously be careful as magnets can slip with a good bang to the side of the light. If you have a hot enough soldering iron I would try to build up a good blob of solder on the back of the triangular plastic mega battery cover to let the spring reach it.

Just out of curiosity, which batteries are you using because I always had trouble with the switch springs being too long.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find the post, but I've read here somewhere that some of the early soft starts needed a thin bare copper wire on the threads between the switch and the light body. The wire helped provide additional ground needed for the flashlight to work correctly. I've been known to stretch a spring just a bit if it's too short. I also harvest springs from blown LAs and cheap flashlights. You never know when that old spring will help. The soft start will save bulbs and when used at low levels will give you longer run times.

Edit: One thing you could temporarily do with the magnet is find the correct size o-ring to go around it to help insulate and center the magnet. Never put a magnet on the + side. - only for reasons of safety. I have one light that I made a custom insulator out of a fiber washer that just fits the magnet. I've had no problems with that one. I used my Dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the fiber washer and glued the magnet in place.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful stretching that SoftStart spring. It's pretty robust thick spring and you could pull it right off the PCB and it's a bear to get back on - I've been there.

Would you post a picture of your spring?