Niteye MS Series (mock-up test samples) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Greta, my original review of Niteye MS Series was lost because the database had to be restored from a backup. :shrug:
I'm sorry to have lost the original review, and too sorry to have same experience before. :thinking:

So I had to rewrite the review tracing back in memory, but couldn't recover your replies or thoughts for the review samples in spite of my googling the restored data. (They have already disappeared. Maybe gone with the wind.) Anyway, I post Niteye MS series review again as follows ;) :

The prototype Niteye MS series were lent for review by C&P Corporation. Please note that these MS series for review are, properly speaking, mock-up test samples rather than prototype. The most distinctive aspect of the MS series is the tailcap control switch interface (i.e., magnetic control ring & PD switch). This review will briefly look at all members of the Niteye MS series - MSC10 (1xCR123A), MSA10 (1xAA), MSC20 (2xCR123A or 1x18650), and MSA20 (2xAA). I will show you the general overview for the rest except MSA20 (2xAA), as all lights have a number of things in common.

Manufacturer Specification from C&P Corporation website :

S-0.jpg

I received the lights only without a packing case, manual, accessories, and so on. So I have no idea what final packaging and physical appearance of the MS series will look like.
S-1.jpg

S-2.jpg

S-3.jpg

S-4.jpg

The anodizing which seems hard(type III) is a matte black. There is no label on the light body, due to the test sample. The knurling is present over most of the battery tube except two sleeky flat sides. The tailcap is covered by a band of knurling. Note that only MSC10 has no sleeky flat sides and it is just pure cylindrical design concept.
The stainless steel clip-on pocket clip is basic, but seems to hold on well. The clip is tail-facing, and not reversible for MSC10 only. But the clip is head-facing, and reversible for other members. All clips seems to be sturdy and good quality.
S-5.jpg

From left to right : Surefire CR123A, Eneloop AA, VicLite 18650 (2600mAh), MSC10, MSA10, MSC20, MSA20. (You will see the rest of the review in the same order as above.)
S-6.jpg

S-7.jpg

S-8.jpg

The light has 3 parts (i.e. head, battery tube, and tailcap).
The stainless steel clip works as a good anti-roll device as well. As you can see, the MS series are among the most cylindrical of all the lights, The head & tail diameters are same, and the battery tube is only slightly thinner. Note that the heads, tailcaps and battery tubes are physically interchangeable among the four models. But I don't know which models use a same circuit from the rest.
S-9.jpg

S-10.jpg

S-11.jpg

S-12.jpg

The light has a flat and somewhat deep stainless steel bezel. There are three thin & deep cooling fins for heat dissipation on the head. The positive battery contact has a circular raised lip (or bump) which works as a mechanical (or physical) reverse polarity protection. But the SMC20 has no circular raised lip. - It probably seems to have a reverse polarity protection in its circuit. The light uses AR coating lens and the purple hue is reflected on it.
The aluminum reflectors have a medium orange peel pattern, and are identical for all four members. They are well polished with no noticeable finishing flaws, and well-centered XM-L U2 LED sits at the bottom of the reflector cut.
S-13.jpg

S-14.jpg

Knurling on the battery tube is not aggressive, so overall grip is not reasonably good (i.e., less aggressive than most).
S-15.jpg

- View from the head

S-16.jpg

- View from the tailcap

The MSC10 has the most thickest wall of the battery tube, but the MSC20 is just the opposite. Battery tube of the SMC20 is wide enough to accommodate protected cells (i.e., it can take my wide & long high-capacity protected 18650 cells), and works fine.
S-17.jpg

Both front and back threads on the battery tube is symmetric, and look like trapezoidal-cut but nearly square-cut. Tail threads are anodized at the battery tube and tailcap region, allowing for tailcap lock-out. They are smooth with no cross-threading or squeaking on my samples.
S-18.jpg

S-19.jpg

S-20.jpg

S-21.jpg

S-22.jpg

The most distinctive part of MS series is the tailcap. It appears to be a bit similar to the Thrunite Scorpion V1, but the exterior views & the interface are not identical to those of the Scorpion V1. Tailcap exterior is composed of two parts - a black part (knurled region) and a grey magnetic control ring & PD switch which is recessed within the tail end. The magnetic control ring has a good feel to turn, and the PD switch has very short travel with moderate tension. It seems that the PD switch is not mechanical but electronic switch. The total traverse of the control ring is around 1/2.57 circumference (i.e. 140 degrees) of the light. There is a battery power indicator on the PD switch which shows the current battery state. If the battery power is sufficient, the LED turns green. The red LED means you need recharge or change the batteries. (Note the battery power indicator turns green or red when the PD switch is "Off" position only.)
S-23.jpg

S-24.jpg

S-25.jpg

The clip has no grip ring bundled with light. The clip is just the same in MSA10, MSC20, MSA20 except MSC10.
S-26-0.jpg

S-27-0.jpg

The clip is reversible for MSA10, MSC20, and MSA20 except MSC10. (i.e., it can be positioned for bezel-up or bezel-down carry. But with this kind of the clip, there is a risk the light might catch on something and be pulled off.) All lights can tailstand stably. The overall build quality seems very high.
S-28.jpg

From left to right : Panasonic CR123A, Eagletac D25C, Sunwayman M11R, Niteye MSC10, Thrunite 1C.
S-29.jpg

From left to right : Eneloop AA, 4Sevens Quark AA, Fenix LD10, Niteye MSA10, Thrunite 1A.
S-30.jpg

From left to right : VicLite 18650, Xeno S3A, Eagletac D25LC2, Niteye MSC20, Spark SL6S-740NW.
S-31.jpg

From left to right : Eneloop AA, 4Sevens Quark 2AA, Olight T25, Niteye MSA20, Fenix E21.
Measured dimension & weight

S-32.jpg

S-33.jpg

S-33-6.jpg

You may use both your thumb and forefinger on either side of the control ring while holding the rest of the light with other fingers & palm to adjust the control ring. The gripability & twisting the control ring are reasonably good.
User Interface

On-Off & ramping are controlled by the PD switch – press and release to turn the light on or activate each output level. Turn the light off by pressing and releasing the PD switch again.
Mode switching is controlled by the magnetic control ring.

The control ring has 4 mode positions (or 4 detents). i.e., there are [Strobe] - [Off] - [Preset] - [High], arranged clockwise.
[Correction 08.19.12] [Off] ---> [Firefly] [Correction 08.19.12]
The Preset mode is a memorized custom output level, selected by the user. This mode has memory, and retains the last setting used. If you press and hold the PD switch when the control ring is at Preset position, the light will ramp up from the current set level to high. (Note the light does not ramp back down to low. It just stays at high level.) If you release, press and hold the PD switch again, the light will ramp back down to low. Also the light stays at low level. This ramping up or down continues until you let go of the PD switch, at which point the current output level is set and memorized unless you do start a new ramp.

S-33-3.jpg

My MS samples all suffer from a brief "pre-flash" of momentary higher output when making initial contact of the battery with the tailcap and a second pre-flash when loosening the tailcap. It's not severe, but may be annoying for some users. I think this per-flash is not mostly unrelated to the PD switch.
S-34-2.jpg

Ramping time is just 4 seconds for each ramping up or down, and all samples are the same. The low output level of the ramp is brighter than firefly as expected.
The ramping time is too quick to select the output level, so I'd like to suggest Niteye to increase the ramping time to 8~12 seconds on the production version.
Standby Current Drain

Due to the magnetic control ring interface, the MSA20 is drawing a small current when the light is fully connected. I measured this current as 0.33mA. Since the cells are arranged in 2S, for 2xEneloop AA (2000mAh) cells, that would translate into around 8 months before they would be fully drained. This is not bad, not a concern. But I would recommend you to store the light locked-out when not in use.
PWM

S-34-3.jpg

I can see flickering at the rest except Firefly & High output, but can't see it visually in practical use. I notice that there is no buzzing sound on any ouput levels.
Runtime

S-34.jpg

I think the performance on 2xAA Eneloop seems good and reasonable as I expected. The runtime for 50% output of high & med. is appr. 90 mins and 172 mins respectively in my test. The runtime for 10% output of high & med. is appr. 92 mins and 179 mins respectively.
Beamshot
1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the door)
- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/100sec, Auto white balance

S-35.jpg

- High
S-36.jpg

- Low
S-37-1.jpg

2. Indoor beamshot (about 7m from the target)
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/2sec, Auto white balance

S-38.jpg

- High
S-39.jpg

- Low
S-40-1.jpg

3. Firefly beamshot
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/3sec, Auto white balance

S-41.jpg

It doesn't seem like a firefly mode, looks like very low to my eye.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
Re: Niteye MS Series (MSC10, MSA10, MSC20, MSA20) Review

I guess all of the comments made after you originally posted this excellent review were lost with the lastest CPF site crash, candle lamp. Too bad since I was really interested in seeing what others were saying about this series of new lights. So I'll say again that it's too bad the PWM is present, but it seems like it may be a high enough frequency and hopefully won't be too bad in actual use, and probably has to be utilized instead of CC due to the sophisticated UI. I also agree that the ramping up/down time of 4sec seems too short...maybe the production versions will be longer allowing more precise setting of the preset mode. I really like that the red/green light in the tailcap tells you if the battery is low and could presumably be used as a locator beacon in the dark...if it remains lit the entire time while off, and doesn't go out several seconds after indicating battery status?

All in all, I really like this new series of Niteye lights and cool UI and would probably buy the AA version and maybe the 18650 light if (A) it doesn't drain batteries too fast with such a unique UI and (B) the pre-flash is ONLY when changing cells, and not arbitrary as some lights are. Niteye is really introducing a plethora of interesting new production lights lately, design rip-offs not withstanding.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your detailed comments. cyclesport! :)

dirtech

Enlightened

Any idea how easy an emitter swap would be?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know what emitter you want to swap for, it seems you can do it by opening the bezel ring & circuit in the head without great difficulty.

However, I'm not sure if the emitter-swap is available for a shipping version.

Any idea how easy an emitter swap would be?

cyclesport

Enlightened

candle lamp: Does the red/green indicator light in the tailcap remain ON the entire time after the light is turned off? I'm trying to determine if this could also act as a locating beacon in the dark.

dirtech

Enlightened

I was thinking along the lines of a DIY swap. Thanks for the review, interesting light. I would like to see two presets and the strobe ditched.

I don't know what emitter you want to swap for, it seems you can do it by opening the bezel ring & circuit in the head without great difficulty.

However, I'm not sure if the emitter-swap is available for a shipping version.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oops! I forgot to write a comment on your #2 reply. Sorry for that!
Exactly, the power indicator remains on after the light is turned off.

candle lamp: Does the red/green indicator light in the tailcap remain ON the entire time after the light is turned off? I'm trying to determine if this could also act as a locating beacon in the dark.

cyclesport

Enlightened

candle lamp: Not sure who your source for the reviewed Niteye MSA, MSC "mock-ups" C & P Corp. is, but did they give you any info regarding...

If they have been green-lighted for production?
If so, when is the estimated release date to dealers...U.S., China or anywhere?

I know they're just mock-ups at this point, but they look close to production ready and I can find no other information about these lights anywhere. Am hoping they'll be available for purchase soon?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

candle lamp: Not sure who your source for the reviewed Niteye MSA, MSC "mock-ups" C & P Corp. is, but did they give you any info regarding...

If they have been green-lighted for production?
If so, when is the estimated release date to dealers...U.S., China or anywhere?

I know they're just mock-ups at this point, but they look close to production ready and I can find no other information about these lights anywhere. Am hoping they'll be available for purchase soon?

The dealer has told me the production version will be released in the near future and will let me know the approximate date soon.

Erzengel

Enlightened

German FlashLightShop announced them for September 7.

Bwolcott

Enlightened

I believe the specs on the single AA version is supposed to be 160 lumens

cyclesport

Enlightened

I believe the specs on the single AA version is supposed to be 160 lumens

Too bad...260 lumens (and the UI) had a lot to do with my interest in buying the MSA10. 260 lumens seemed too unrealistic when I first saw the review, but since Niteye has yet to show this series on their website I couldn't confirm. Where did you hear this?

hakyru

Newly Enlightened

Great review :thumbsup:
My compliments.

A question please:
You can lock the firefly mode on the MSC10?

On my MSC10 only works for a few seconds :confused:
I have not found any information about this,not even in the user manual.

Thank You for your answer. :)

cyclesport

Enlightened

My compliments.

A question please:

Hi hakyru...

You apparently already own a Niteye MS series light. I presume you bought it from a European or perhaps China based dealer? May I ask where you bought it, and how long you've had it?

Iv'e been waiting for US or global dealers selling to US markets to start showing stock on this series of lights, but have found none selling this light yet, nor does it even exist it on Niteye's website?

Any information would be appreciated...Thanks!

hakyru

Newly Enlightened

Hi hakyru...

You apparently already own a Niteye MS series light. I presume you bought it from a European or perhaps China based dealer? May I ask where you bought it, and how long you've had it?

Iv'e been waiting for US or global dealers selling to US markets to start showing stock on this series of lights, but have found none selling this light yet, nor does it even exist it on Niteye's website?

Any information would be appreciated...Thanks!

Hi

I bought the MSC10 in Italy and I was delivered 24 hours ago.
Now also in germany there is some seller which has some available.
This series of Niteye has arrived without warning, was a big surprise for me.
I do not even understand why in the Niteye site is not available any information about this series.:confused:

cyclesport

Enlightened

Hi

I bought the MSC10 in Italy and I was delivered 24 hours ago.
Now also in germany there is some seller which has some available.
This series of Niteye has arrived without warning, was a big surprise for me.
I do not even understand why in the Niteye site is not available any information about this series.:confused:

Thanks for the info! Yeah...I'm thinking that the lack of data and spotty release of this product line may have something to do with JetBeam/Niteye's recent legal problems? Anyway, I'm sure I'll see them for sale at US dealers soon...thanks again.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

My compliments.

A question please:

Thanks. hakyru! :)

I was told MS series were stocked in local dealer's shop.
I know the production version is different from the test version in UI. The dealer says it seems there is no firefly mode on the production version.
I will check how MSC10 works, and let you know on next Monday.

hakyru

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. hakyru! :)

I was told MS series were stocked in local dealer's shop.
I know the production version is different from the test version in UI. The dealer says it seems there is no firefly mode on the production version.
I will check how MSC10 works, and let you know on next Monday.

Thank You for your answer :thumbsup:

It would have been useful to have the firefly mode on this light.

Thanks again ;)