Rayovac Indestructible 140 lumen C Cell Battery Upgrade

Ryan83

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.
I have the Rayovac indestructible 140 lumen light. Currently I have the rayovac batteries that came with the light in there and it is the brightest light I have ever owned. (new to this whole LED light and lumen thing)
My question is this: if i were to get the trustfire/ultrafire etc equivalent to the C batteries that are in there now, would the output of the light be higher or am I getting all this light can possibly put out with whats in there? If I can get this brighter, I would love to. Please let me know.
Thanks

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would doubt if replacing the C cells with an 18650 battery would make a significant increase in the brightness of that light, if at all. 3C's put 4.5 volts into the light and fully charged 18650 is 4.2v. Putting in two 18650's would damage the light, I am sure, plus would not be a real safe alternative. I am not a modder, but an other option would be to replace the LED with a brighter one, and I am not sure how that would be done on this light. In my humble opinion, you would be better off leaving this light as it is (I have one too and love it!), and just buy a brighter light as a second one. Even though 140 lumens is a pretty bright light, is not that bright by todays standards, and you will find a lot of alternatives mentioned on this forum. This Rayovac light is just what I would call, practical bright!! :grin2:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most LED lights have a circuitry that sends a certain amount of power to the LED. Giving it too much voltage will probably burn out the circuit and also kill the LED. Unlike incans, LEDs and the circuitry don't like being pushed out of spec.

If you want more output, there are some good budget lights that use those batteries and can put out a lot of light.

Ryan83

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Didn't wanna throw batteries in there and damage it. For what it is the light is pretty darn good.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you like big lights, check out the Fenix TK70 :naughty: it's a monster that can be run on D cells ;)

yliu

Enlightened
It uses the Cree XPC if I'm not mistaken, which is already driven at its hardest around 150 lumens.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
But the smaller die of the XP-C probably give it more thrown then if a XP-E or XP-G was used. The other two will give more output though.