"First Light" review of the Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlight.

egrep

Enlightened
I picked up a handful of the newly released Steve Ku Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlights recently. I was eager to get home and take a photograph and write up a 'first light' review. I hope you enjoy this and find it useful. I'll be updating this thread with beamshots and a video tomorrow evening in part 2 and later in the week I hope to add part 3 with tritium installation video and photographs. I'll be happy to incorporate and suggestions you may have as well. Thanks for reading!

These lights are available now from Illumination Supply. Here is the sales link. Here is the teaser thread.

With the XP-G R5 LED and a 10180 LiON battery (included) the light will make up to ~100 OTF lumens for up to 8 minutes. Adjusting the light to a lower output level will dramatically increase run times. This is a lot of light to have on your keychain. The light is about 40mm long (just over 1.5") when the threads are closed just to the point the light comes on. And boy does it come on, through a highly efficient 34 degree TIR flood optic

I personally feel this offering as a whole surpasses its inspiration, the custom 40DD of which I had eight. The packaging is top rate, right down to the brief instructions on the package. You get the Quantum DD flashlight, battery, charger and a split ring. IMO, a great value for the MSRP of $60.

I have some 1.5x6mm Tritium vials (Optional and purchased separately in pairs for ~$20) on the way. They are terribly easy to install. You just drop them in the two holes on the end and dab on a bit of Norland or Silicon and you're good to go! Silicon is easier to obtain, cure and remove, but Norland cures clear and reveals the end of the trit better. In either case the sides of the trit show identically though the fins and create a sort of 'dot matrix' effect. I'll have pictures of that in part 3 of this review along with a brief 'how to' video.

Shown for size comparison. The Quantum has the same exact size, quality materials and build as it's custom parent the 40DD. It also comes with a unique USB charger. How cool is that?

Veleno Designs DD flashlights, 40DD, Quantum DD and 44 Magnum DD by jgefaell, on Flickr

The light comes with simple and effective packaging. Minimal, attractive with clearly written instructions and a diagram.

Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlight by jgefaell, on Flickr

The Quantum is 40mm (1.5") long, infinitely variable from 0 to 100 Lumens OTF output through a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) lens. It comes with a convenient and safe USB Charger, 10180 LiON battery, spare o-ring and a split ring. The included charger is tidy and securely houses the LiON battery with no issues shorting out leads or dealing with magnets not adhering to non ferrous battery cases.

Quantum DD shown sitting atop a Kevin King Leather Sharkskin Attaboy minimalist front pocket wallet. In this shot you can clearly see the holes on one side where you can slip in a 1.5x6mm tritium vial! Just top it off with a tiny spot of NOA61 or common Silicon adhesive to set it in place.
Veleno Designs Quantum DD keychain Flashlight by jgefaell, on Flickr

Another shot sitting atop my KKL Attaboy. I love how it looks!

Veleno Designs Quantum DD Flashlight by jgefaell, on Flickr

Smooth threads make it easy to adjust the light output infinitely by compressing the QTC (Quantum Tunneling Composite) pill at the base of the light. More compression causes more current to flow and drives the light to higher output. The Quantum DD produces ~100 lumens OTF using stock XP-G R5 LED for up to ~8 minutes and the included 10180 LiON battery. If you fiddle with it, the output can be adjusted so low as to be almost on par with a Tritium marker! Lower levels will yield much longer runtime of course. If you need a few moments of room or street filling light or a low light to read with, this will do it!

Each Quantum DD is individually serialized, 1 through ???. Random numbers are shipped though we've all got our favorites. Who will get lucky 888?

For fun, 5 of my Quantums were modified today with a Nichia 219, Cree XP-G G2, and Red, Green & Blue LEDs. The modification is extremely easy, but will definitely void your warranty. Just carefully reflow a new LED to the mount plate. These are 'Direct Drive' flashlights, so there's no electronics to cope with.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
FINALLY! Someone does a review of one the lights in this series. Excellent write up egrep!

Maybe one day we will see one powered by a CR2 cell.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Can you add a picture with that light next to some well known AAA lights? It is hard to get an idea about the size without any reference.

egrep

Enlightened
Can you add a picture with that light next to some well known AAA lights? It is hard to get an idea about the size without any reference.

Thank you for asking. I will do that tomorrow evening when I take the beamshots and video.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Ah, just so that I understand it correctly: The light is direct drive with the QTC as a variable resistor?

So the efficiency goes down a lot at lower outputs, right?

OTOH, this allows very very low lows more efficient than the parasitic drain of active circuitry would ever allow...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, just so that I understand it correctly: The light is direct drive with the QTC as a variable resistor?

So the efficiency goes down a lot at lower outputs, right?

OTOH, this allows very very low lows more efficient than the parasitic drain of active circuitry would ever allow...

It's only I^2*R power dissipation, or in this case I*V or approximately 1.2v*current. Once you get to the mA range, the LED Vf is around 2.4v, leaving 1.2v dissipated in the QTC. So the efficiency can't get much worse than 66%, with no overhead losses. Compare that to a circuit taking 1 mA to run itself, and driving an LED below 2 mA (a few lumens).

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review.

I have one of those since this past Friday from illlumination supply.
Mine has the XPG2 and side by side with stock one the XPG2 offers a more warm tint, which is really nice IMHO.

Just be carefull when twisting on, too much twisting and the cell will get crushed.

It looks like Jewelry and people wont suspect its a light. I wear mine on my neck with ball and chain necklace. The charger, cell, and light for the price its a no brainer. You can get one for your keys and one for your neck.

I was wearing a couple in different colors on my neck in this picture:
69b76075cb0d38bdcbc7065fa992f8e6.jpg

bigC

egrep

Enlightened
Thanks for your interest in my first ever review of the Quantum DD Flashlight! I'm looking forward to trying to figure out how to get beamshots and some video tonight and will try to address questions and suggestions I've received in part 2. Part 3 will be a round up and Tritium howto and photos!

Here's a shot I took for another forum where I spend the bulk of my online time. I hope you enjoy it. I particularly like how the RGB lights combine to make a whole rainbow of color. The diffraction is nifty as well. I saw the chain of lights that bigC spoke of and had to have my own set!

7812694746_e182e35ec9_c.jpg
Veleno Designs Quantum DD with OBS/EKI/SFI/USN by jgefaell, on Flickr

My Order of the Black Shamrock Folder (There are others like it, but this one is mine) with SFI Rampant Lion/Crusader Cross pocket clip and .45 casing thumb disk. Nathawut Ti Pivot. On top of the Fighting Irish shirt from EKI amongst a G-IV (Backside) and X USN (Frontside) Challenge Coins and SFI Bushido (Copper), ZEDU (Silver), Crusader and OG 1911 (Brass) dogtags. It feels cozy, like home.

Last edited by a moderator:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and great pics!

Really love the look of this light, would love to see a cr123 version.

Looking forward to your update.

egrep

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and great pics!

Really love the look of this light, would love to see a cr123 version.

Looking forward to your update.

Thank you. Waiting for the night. :)

For comparison, a CR123 is nominally 16x34mm. The battery in the Quantum DD is 10x18xx. A Lithium CR123 or LiON 16340 would deliver an awful lot of power to the LED if not run through some kind of driver I'd think. And the light would be a lot larger, not the diminutive delight that the Quantum is. Still, it's intriguing isn't it? Let's see what Steve has to say.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review, egrep. Mine came today, and I'm very pleased with it - enough so that I'll pick up a couple more (and mod at least 1 of them with an XPG2, a la Bigchelis). I was particularly pleased to receive #252, the same number as one of my Spies...

:)

Thanks for sharing the review!

egrep

Enlightened
Awesome review, egrep. Mine came today, and I'm very pleased with it - enough so that I'll pick up a couple more (and mod at least 1 of them with an XPG2, a la Bigchelis). I was particularly pleased to receive #252, the same number as one of my Spies...

smile.gif

Thanks for sharing the review!

Good stuff! Thanks! I'll own an Spy one day... :)

In the pic below (above?) I posted you see the RGB Quantums. On the left is an XP-G G2 and Nichia 219. Both are swell for very different reasons. :) I encourage you to deeeeewwww eeeeet!

egrep

Enlightened
Part 2 is, unfortunately delayed until tomorrow evening. All the best laid plans of mice and men. I'm sorry, but I promise to have part 2 tomorrow.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
It's only I^2*R power dissipation, or in this case I*V or approximately 1.2v*current. Once you get to the mA range, the LED Vf is around 2.4v, leaving 1.2v dissipated in the QTC. So the efficiency can't get much worse than 66%, with no overhead losses. Compare that to a circuit taking 1 mA to run itself, and driving an LED below 2 mA (a few lumens).

Ah, you are right. Completely forgot about the fact that the battery and forward voltages are that close to each other.

Thats actually quite nead, to be honest. Really neat.

CitizenInsane

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, egrep! I just got mine today and I am very happy with it. However, the battery would get stuck in the flashlight and I would have to get it out with tweezers. It appears that there is a magnet at the bottom where the qtc is making the battery get stuck. Is this normal and part of the design? Thanks.