Which would make a better search and rescue light: Petzl Myo Rxp or Spark ST6 500 CW?

witness

Newly Enlightened
I need an emergency search and rescue headlamp that I can safely leave in my car. I have a ZL H600 but I worry that the 18650 battery is too dangerous to leave in car during summertime temperatures. The Spark is attractive because it can run on 2 CR123s which I believe are safer in hot temperatures. I think I could leave it in the car with CR123 batteries and would have the bonus of being able to use rechargable 18650s if I want. The Petzl Myo Rxp looks interesting because of the 3 AA batteries and Petzl reputation but I have my doubts that it's in the same league as the Spark ST6. Any thoughts or suggestions on which of these (or maybe something else) would make the best search and rescue headlamp?

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Spark is three times more powerful than RXP... But after mod to Cree XP-G, the RXP is most versatile headlamp on the market.

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
Hello witness. I am a mountain search and rescue volunteer in south central New Mexico. Your question is one that I, too, have considered. First, I should like to say that I have no experience with either of the lights that you mention. But, I should like to share a few thoughts:
1. In my opinion, leaving anything for extended periods of time in very hot (or cold) weather surely cannot be good. I do keep some lights in our cars, but for extreme conditions, I move them in the house.
2. What I have been doing is having a BOB with various things, including light and batteries. That bag (in this case a Maxpedition Jumbo EDC Versipack) has a firearm, extra clip, knives, firestarter items, and various other personal survival kit type of things.
3. As for just what light is best for you, I have found that it really depends on just where and what types of SAR activities are likely for you. In my case, most of the searches will be in mountainous areas. A lot of the time, the areas are forested and a throw light may not necessarily be the ticket. As you know, SAR callouts usually are at night and lighting is very important.
4. Having said that, my strategy is to always have in my SAR pack or person: a) my EDC light (Fenix E01) plus extra battery; b) Fenix headband with CR123 form factor light (Lumapower Incendio; runs on CR123s, RCR123s). Then, mission dependent, I have two lights that I take with me to the base command and decide which of them is best. One is an Olight M31 (2x 18650s 3xCR123s, or 4xCR123s) where throw is needed. I got this light about 2 years ago and it, at the time, was one of the better throwers on the market. I am happy with it. Now there are numerous other choices out there that are better. But, my light is paid for and fills the bill. I just recently got another light that is more general purpose. I chose a Sunwayman V20C, which runs off of one 18650 or 2 CR123s. It goes up to about 445 lumens otf, and throws ok at 100 yards. I like the variable control ring on it; moreover, it's form factor is in between the Olight M31 and the small Lumapower Incendio for dimensions and weight. Bottom line: I will carry 3 lights with me on a search.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you,

Regards,

Steve

witness

Newly Enlightened
Spark is three times more powerful than RXP... But after mod to Cree XP-G, the RXP is most versatile headlamp on the market.

Thanx for the input. If you include the modded RXP which do you think would be the most reliable, powerful and long lasting of these headlamps (before batteries need changing). If you think the modded RXP would be better where can I get instructions on how to do this safely. If the ST6 would be a better choice, which would be better for search and rescue ... the ST6-460NW or the ST6-500CW.

1. In my opinion, leaving anything for extended periods of time in very hot (or cold) weather surely cannot be good. I do keep some lights in our cars, but for extreme conditions, I move them in the house.

The kit I have in my car is more accurately an earthquake kit so it NEVER gets moved. I live in a very dangerous earthquake zone (Vancouver) and we are due/overdue for a massive subduction earthquake. I also keep an earthquake kit in my apartment as well as in my car but I believe the car kit is the most important for two reasons:
1) My car is always nearby (both at home and at work)
2) I believe my car would probably be the least likely to get destroyed since in is always in the street and probably as far away from large buildings as one can get (in a city).

That said my car earthquake kit must be fully functional and ready to go at ALL times so moving a light indoors at certain times of the year is not an option.

Last edited:

rojos

Enlightened
If you think the modded RXP would be better where can I get instructions on how to do this safely.

Modded RXP is not a practical option IMO. It is a tricky mod that involves manually adjusting the focal length between the new emitter and the optic. It can be a real challenge to get right if you don't have a lot of experience.

I would stick to something that does what you need out of the box.

witness

Newly Enlightened
Modded RXP is not a practical option IMO. It is a tricky mod that involves manually adjusting the focal length between the new emitter and the optic. It can be a real challenge to get right if you don't have a lot of experience.

I would stick to something that does what you need out of the box.

Upon reflection that is is exactly the conclusion I came to. Even without knowing the mod I suspected that I might be buying myself more trouble then it's worth and just went ahead and ordered the ST6 460NW.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have kept several 18650 lights in my car and or my trunk(work car & work lights) for several summers and not had any issue yet. Yes I know something may happen... I could also die in a car crash today as well. We recently experienced up to 111F in the shade temps and the cells did not do anything they were not supposed to do.

Take it for what it is worth to you.

Travis

InfinateLED

Newly Enlightened
I would echo what zehnmm said.
The headlamp is useful for navigation and when your hands are occupied but you should have a powerful hand held spot light for actual search functions. A headlamp doesn't work well for any significant distance because it is so close to your eyes and much of the light is reflected back into your eyes from dust/fog etc. So 150 Lumens should be more than enough for a headlamp.
I have the MYO RXP and it is great. It is programmable, and you can always press the momentary boost button to get full power (about 170 effective lumens in my opinion). It is very well balanced on the head. The spot beam is actually quite tight for a headlamp-sharper than my XL200 Maglite(Great EDC bty) It has a quick flip up diffuser that does it's job very well - gives you almost 150 degrees of useable light.
The only problem is the buttons are hard to find and press with gloves on especially if you have the lamp tilted upward which make them go under the housing.
It seems like decent build quality.
I don't know about the other lights but I would highly recommend the MYO and it can be had for $80 which is a bargain.