Recommend me a light!

GillBates

Newly Enlightened
I used to own the Stanley Hid0109. I was very happy with it while I had it. Unfortunately, it was dropped of a golf cart and took a very nasty tumble down a long steep driveway and stopped working. I am looking for something about the same size and since I need to buy a new spotlight I figured I would see what was available out there. I wouldn't mind the new light being brighter with a farther throw.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

___x_I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in __Lansing MI____.
___x_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

I can do either.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
__x__Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
__x__I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
__x__Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
__x__HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

Not both in the same light. But I am willing to use either.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

I don't really know what would be best. I could use any of these options I think.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__x__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges)

Based on my previous experience with the Stanley I only used it for short bursts maybe 1-3 minutes top. But would like to go at least 1 full day without charging. I would usually charge when I was done at the end of the night.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
__x__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
__x__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
__x__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I suppose my ideal model type would be the Stanley0109. It worked great for me but I would like something brighter with a longer throw. I am open to the idea of LED's instead of an HID bulb but to be honest I really don't know which would be better. I know how both the LED's and HID's work but have had limited interactions with both. It's tough to find people around town who have any know how about these lights. Most people I know haven't even seen a light as bright as my Stanley and think I'm crazy spending money on thinks like this. I have always been a huge spotlight fanatic and was blown away when i went from a vector 10million candle stoplight to the Stanley. I've been a member on this site for quite some time and have found some very useful topics. It's nice to interact with people who share the same interest as me.

Thanks for the help,
John

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could look at Titanium Innovation's HID lights. I don't own one but the seem pretty good and should be comparable to the Stanley HID. Not sure how well they'll take a tumble down a long driveway though.

Do you still have the Stanley? Maybe you can figure out what stopped working and fix it. That way if you get a new light, you can have the Stanley as a backup.

yliu

Enlightened
The Olight SR95UT should have a very concentrated beam with lot of throw.

If you want maximum lumens, then get the Olight X6. It has a more floody beam pattern, so less throw but light huge area in front of you.

The Titanium Innocations L35 should be just within your budget, and it's gonna out throw the Olights.

GillBates

Newly Enlightened
I'm not looking for anything to withstand a long tumble. It was an accident last 4th of July. I don't have anything left of that Stanley I took it to a couple places like auto zone to have them check the bulb but they wouldn't touch the thing. I called Stanley but was basically told it would be cheaper to buy a new one.
I'll check these lights out. Basically what I will be using this light for is to take out on a smaller inland lake and out in the woods of northern Michigan. I would even be down for a home made deal. I've seen a few on here that really lit up the night. I'll check out ghese two lights. Thanks for the help