Green Force Flexi II Battery Pack Replacement

mahjong

Newly Enlightened
I have a Flexi II canister light (10W HID), manufactured in 2007, serial #71285881. Can anyone provide for me detailed information on the most powerful battery pack that I could use to replace the original one in this canister--including the dimensions of the battery pack.

Most helpful would be if someone could tell me which, if any, battery pack would work from the list of battery packs available on the following battery company's website:

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatterypacksforreplacement.aspx

Thank you very much!

Paul

mahjong

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how to open the canister, unfortunately. It's not exactly self explanatory. The only seam appears to be at the very top? And there's a large metal screw at the very bottom--does this merely serve as an OPV?

Take out battery pack and measure it !

Probably is that 10 x C size (26500) (original 12 Volt NiMH , 10 Bundled 1.2V 4500Ah ) so you need something like

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecellcsize12v5000mahwithtabs10pcs.aspx or

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecellcsize12v5000mahflattop15arate1pc.aspx (and they will build pack for you)

Last edited:

ErikH

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how to open the canister, unfortunately. It's not exactly self explanatory. The only seam appears to be at the very top? And there's a large metal screw at the very bottom?

You can unscrew the bottom from the canister - using rubber gloves helps to get enough grip, or use a rubber oil filter wrench. After removing the bottom (dont unscrew that over pressure valve!) you can push the battery out from the top. Also see: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/torches/55257-greenforce-battery-refurb.html That site includes pictures.

All other info is there as well.

PS: yay, first post :)

jspeybro

Enlightened
with the flexi batteries, you can open the top side where you attach the umbilical. I'll see if I can show you a picture that I saw today somewhere.

betti154

Enlightened
Bet way I can describe it is the umbilical neck and top unscrew from the body. I've used multigrip pliers in the past, but watch out not to scratch the hell out of the delrin.

It comes apart at the seem you identified. Bottom screw is a over pressure valve, but otherwise the bottom of the canister is one piece.

mahjong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, All!

I will attempt to open the canister after my dive on Thursday.

Paul

jspeybro

Enlightened
Here you can see how you can open the canister:
flexiII.jpg

the battery pack is indeed a 10 cell NiMH battery pack. The pack in the picture seems to use 4Ah cells although greenforce specifies Flexi 2 batteries as 4,5Ah. a bit weird, but I've grown used to greenforce updating their products continuously.

I don't know the specs if the HID ballast, but I assume it needs the 12V input. You'll need to replace the batteries with similar cells I'm affraid, so not a big margin to improve the capacity.
I upgraded a 10W HID head to a cree MC-E (see other thread). The driver is made for 2 cell Li-ion packs, but I modified it to work with 12V so it is compatible with greenforce batteries. In my case, I could have replace the battery pack by a 10-cell (2S5P) Li-ion pack, but I didn't have a flexi 2 battery at that time (arrow12 instead).

Johan

mahjong

Newly Enlightened
That is perfect, Johan. Thank you very much!

May I ask where you are located (at least what country)?

Thanks,

Paul

Here you can see how you can open the canister:
flexiII.jpg

the battery pack is indeed a 10 cell NiMH battery pack. The pack in the picture seems to use 4Ah cells although greenforce specifies Flexi 2 batteries as 4,5Ah. a bit weird, but I've grown used to greenforce updating their products continuously.

I don't know the specs if the HID ballast, but I assume it needs the 12V input. You'll need to replace the batteries with similar cells I'm affraid, so not a big margin to improve the capacity.
I upgraded a 10W HID head to a cree MC-E (see other thread). The driver is made for 2 cell Li-ion packs, but I modified it to work with 12V so it is compatible with greenforce batteries. In my case, I could have replace the battery pack by a 10-cell (2S5P) Li-ion pack, but I didn't have a flexi 2 battery at that time (arrow12 instead).

Johan

jspeybro

Enlightened
That is perfect, Johan. Thank you very much!

May I ask where you are located (at least what country)?

Thanks,

Paul

I live in Belgium, which is also the country where Green-Force is located so here these lights are very popular.