I don't think I like shortwave

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I don\'t think I like shortwave

I just tried out my new short wave radio I got from one of our sponsors and listened to an interesting commentary.

The station was called, "Radio Havana Cuba" Frequency looks like 31M 9.77. The commentator had a very slight English accent, at least that's how it sounded to me.

He was reading an editorial and the crux of the story was Bush and the U.S. are bent on world domination though any means including military action. I am not just paraphrasing; I think those were his exact words. He goes on to say the war in Iraq was a complete failure in every way and calls everyone from the foot soldier to the President criminals. He talks about how there are not and never were any WMD's. He states it was all just lies used to gain control of Iraq and further US world domination.

Some of what he said was stretching the truth and some of it was outright lies.

If I lived there all my life and had all my news controlled by the state I would probably hate the US after hearing that editorial.

It was like listening to Aljazeera on steroids.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I don\'t think I like shortwave

Don't worry Dave, the Cubans only listen to state sponsored radio at work (where they have to). At home they listen to US stations! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stefan

Enlightened

Something to keep in mind though.... Most shortwave radio stations are not governed as strongly by local laws as say a radio station in AM or FM. Shortwave is right up there with being advanced amateur radio, where almost anything goes.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

You have two basic types of shortwave broadcast radio...those owned by governments and those owned by religious groups. With a good shortwave radio it's fun to listen to the news presented about five different ways!

Empath

Flashaholic

Radio Havana isn't broadcast for Cubans. It's broadcast for other nations, in order to promote their propaganda.

Actually, you should LIKE shortwave. If not for shortwave, some people would not be able to hear the real news from outside their nation, and all they would know would be the propaganda broadcast locally.

If you remember the original announcement. The radios were built with the idea of being dropped into areas in need of outside information.

Long live shortwave.

Empath

Flashaholic

I knew a guy from Romania that was in the U.S. for political asylum. He used to tell me of the times before the collapse of the communist system, some of them would meet with one of them that had a shortwave radio, and listen to broadcasts coming from the free world. It wasn't lawful to have the shortwave radio, because broadcasts from the free world were broadcast to them. The difference between their domestic news and that from the free world was quite different. Had it not been for shortwave radio, and the broadcasts from the free world, they would have only heard the domestic accounts.

Both we and they were involved in targeting the populations of one another. The difference is we mostly listened to their broadcasts as hobby and amusement. They listened to ours because it was their link to the truth.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cubans and Cuban Americans know better than to listen to Radio Havana for proper reporting.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, you sure it wasn't the democratic national underground?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Dave, you sure it wasn't the democratic national underground?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it...It did sound a lot like Ted Kennedy trying to disguise his voice.

***Not Really, no harm meant to Kennedy fans if there is such a thing.***

I was kidding with the title of the thread. I do like shortwave. I will try it again tonight to see what's flying across the waves.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Dave, are you sure that it wasn't a rebroadcast of Dan Rather reading the nightly news? I can't tell the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BF Hammer said:
Dave, are you sure that it wasn't a rebroadcast of Dan Rather reading the nightly news? I can't tell the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So true.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I would like to get a shortwave radio but I live on a low floor in the middle of a densely populated city with tall buildings, and I cannot have an external antenna. Is there any hope for decent reception?

Brightnorm

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I would like to get a shortwave radio but I live on a low floor in the middle of a densely populated city with tall buildings, and I cannot have an external antenna. Is there any hope for decent reception?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
BN-If I were you I'd email CPF member snakebite and ask for his advice on antennas.

Latest posts