Soon Incan lights will be GONE and everything will be LED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Banned
Really makes me sad that all the incandescent lights like Billy Bob down at the ol auto shop had will be GONE and LED's and Photonic Tri-Quadronic-Halonic bulbs/emitters will be the new bulbs.
Anyone have a nice Incan that you wanna post a pic of?
Well, Be back in a while, I gotta go scrape styrofoam off my wall(s) :D

Empire

Banned
See you post-EMP event.
au.gif

Well, Be back in a while, I gotta go scrape rare-earth phosphors off disposed fluorescent tubes.
popcorn.gif
Nonsensical a bit?

Combatmp

Newly Enlightened
Sure seems like incans are getting phased out. I do prefer the color and "warmth?" of an incan, but LEDs sure do boast some good numbers and amazing longevity.

EMP shouldn't affect small electronics that are off, right?

Empire

Banned
Sure seems like incans are getting phased out. I do prefer the color and "warmth?" of an incan, but LEDs sure do boast some good numbers and amazing longevity.

EMP shouldn't affect small electronics that are off, right?
There are such LED's with High CRI(Color rendering) "WARMTH" but I haven't seen many that exceed over 300 Lumens.

fyrstormer

Banned
EMP mostly affects electrical grids with long, straight, un-shielded runs of wire, and the devices plugged directly into those grids. Flashlights are very unlikely to be affected. Some flashlights have even been tested by being put into microwaves, and they still work.

Anyway, incans won't completely go away for a long time. If nothing else, incans are useful in high-heat environments, such as inside ovens or above stoves. They'll probably become completely obsolete in flashlights when Hi-CRI emitters reach output levels of ~500 lumens, but hot-filament bulbs will hang around in niche applications just like everything else humans have ever invented.

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
There are such LED's with High CRI(Color rendering) "WARMTH" but I haven't seen many that exceed over 300 Lumens.

The warm and neutral rated lights started out as yellow tints, but the technology is advancing fast. It's really a case of supply and demand, LEDs offer good runtimes and output, and the incan crew want good colour rendition.

Zebralight SC600W is a very good example of a neutral/warm tint that's +500 lumens. Kinda knocks your socks off really ;)

Empire

Banned
The warm and neutral rated lights started out as yellow tints, but the technology is advancing fast. It's really a case of supply and demand, LEDs offer good runtimes and output, and the incan crew want good colour rendition.

Zebralight SC600W is a very good example of a neutral/warm tint that's +500 lumens. Kinda knocks your socks off really ;)
The smallest light I have seen is the HDS High CRI
Although expensive ($140) it is tough and cool

idleprocess

Flashaholic
EMP mostly affects electrical grids with long, straight, un-shielded runs of wire, and the devices plugged directly into those grids. Flashlights are very unlikely to be affected. Some flashlights have even been tested by being put into microwaves, and they still work.

Is a microwave oven a realistic siumulation of a destructive EMP? While it generates hundreds of watts of short-wave RF, it does so in a very specific slice of the spectrum, seemingly without inducing so much current flow as the voltages seen in actual (and simulated) EMP's.

Empire

Banned
Is a microwave oven a realistic siumulation of a destructive EMP? While it generates hundreds of watts of short-wave RF, it does so in a very specific slice of the spectrum, seemingly without inducing so much current flow as the voltages seen in actual (and simulated) EMP's.
People don't kill people, Microwaves kill people. :D

lightwater

Newly Enlightened
People don't kill people, Microwaves kill people. :D

I haven't used a microwave for over 5 years now. There was no real reason, it's use just gradually slowed. Still got it but it sits in it's cupboard unplugged. Now I'm not even aware that I don't actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.