Looking for a backup slash real use duty light in rechargable or AA category.

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a backup slash real use duty light in rechargeable or AA category. I am an LE/Security Instructor for a government contractor which issues the mini-mag to officers the mini-mags holster is part of a very high profile uniform and the officer must carry it. Therefore I am looking for a light that puts out anywhere from 120 to 400 lumens OTF, with a reasonable price tag and could fit in a pocket for fast access. I currently carry 2 surefires (g2z, 6px) but the battery cost and price point are not reasonable for this consideration.
I have considered the following:

NEBO Blueline, small, AA, 130 Lumen (not sure if that is otf) and 19.99 USD
Note: gave to my wife for a purse light and she loves it.

EagleTac P100A2 325 Lumen AA LED, AA, 236 lumen 39.90 USD

JETBeam BA20 270 Lumen CREE XP-G R5 LED Flashlight, AA, 270 lumen, 39.90 USD

JETBeam PA10 650 Lumen CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight, AA, 650 lumen (highly sceptical), 69.90 USD
Note: the 69.90 USD price point may be too high for some of my officers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus Trivia question: name the source of the below quote without google or any other search engine help for ultimate nerd pride.

"Run Fast, Shoot straight......... Die proud." or the allusion
"if you've gotta die, die proud. If not, shoot straight, and run fast." for the gold.

Last edited:

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
I apologize, I looked for through the review section and maybe my web search skills need to be honed but I didn't see anything that really hit the mark. Also I would like to know the impression as to reliability and durability of said lights. These lights will be recommended for independant purchase for our officers.

Before you say it, a light for self preservation should not have budget, even though our officers have had attempted attacks against the facility this year, there will always be those thrift shoppers buying some light from Wallyworld for 24.00 USD. I would like to give them something of headstart, a gateway purchase into the addictive phase if you will. If you have any suggestions for a light, please consider the qualifers in order of priority as follows:

Reliability
Durability
Ease of Use (momentary on is a plus)
Light output
Price
CDI factor

Thanks again.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the LightHound AA tactical light [rebranded Balder SE-1] would fit the bill. Its rugged, simple to use and can take any battery from AA alkilines to 14500 Li Ion. Priced from $20 - $24 depending on emitter. I've gifted several to family and everyone is amazed at its size and output. When they learn that its only a bit more than a mini-M@G they're very impressed.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to loose some money, you could buy a few lights and test them for durability. But a sample size of one does not represent how all the other lights will act.

The Balder SE-1 could work as Gurthang noted. 1 AA, well built, but I read that the heatsink is not very heavy (but should be fine for spreading heat in use).

For under $40, also look at the Fenix E21 and Shiningbeam's offerings like the Caveman and Spark. Reviews say that the shiningbeam lights are well built.

:welcome:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I actually use a Fenix E21 as a backup light, I've been using one for about 10 months now and I have had zero problems with it. It's a fairly robust design, I know I've dropped it more than a few times. I also involuntarily tested out the IPX-8 rating in creek once or twice... It's a nice back up light because it's fairly throwy so you don't need alot of lumens to look at at something far away and can take a beating.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
NEBO Blueline, small, AA, 130 Lumen (not sure if that is otf) and 19.99 USD
Note: gave to my wife for a purse light and she loves it.

EagleTac P100A2 325 Lumen AA LED, AA, 236 lumen 39.90 USD

JETBeam BA20 270 Lumen CREE XP-G R5 LED Flashlight, AA, 270 lumen, 39.90 USD

JETBeam PA10 650 Lumen CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight, AA, 650 lumen (highly sceptical), 69.90 USD
Note: the 69.90 USD price point may be too high for some of my officers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Forget the Nebo I wouldn't trust them if your looking for the reliability of a Mag/Surefire.
Both the P100A2 and BA20 would work but I don't think they will fit in a MMag holster.
The PA10 only does 650lm for a short time on a 14500 li-ion so forget that one, the PA20 would be better.

So your looking for something <$70?

Mini-Mag pro+? nobody will tell the difference till you turn in on :)

Actually I have a mag holster I'm going to stuff stuff in it and see what fits. Would they object if you wore another black nylon holster?

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I apologize, I looked for through the review section and maybe my web search skills need to be honed but I didn't see anything that really hit the mark. Also I would like to know the impression as to reliability and durability of said lights. These lights will be recommended for independant purchase for our officers.

Before you say it, a light for self preservation should not have budget, even though our officers have had attempted attacks against the facility this year, there will always be those thrift shoppers buying some light from Wallyworld for 24.00 USD. I would like to give them something of headstart, a gateway purchase into the addictive phase if you will. If you have any suggestions for a light, please consider the qualifers in order of priority as follows:

Reliability
Durability
Ease of Use (momentary on is a plus)
Light output
Price
CDI factor

Thanks again.
I think you need to introduce your superiors to Surefire, although most of there lights run on CR123's.

And as it turns out Mag holsters are pretty skinny I don't think the typical Fenix or Jet-beam 2 AA lights will fit. It would need to be something like the 4sevens Mini AA^2 size or like I said the Mini-Mag Pro+.

I'm really interested in what you decide on I think its funny and at the same time sad that almost all the lights I own are way above what most military, law enforcement, security guards and emergency response people are using.

Last edited:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
the jetbeam is that bright when you use a lithium 14550, with a normal AA it's 140 lumens

the jetbeam PA20 looks very cop friendly to me; I love it's strobe

I have a shiningbeam spark in my collection, it's very floody, and very bright.
As for quality, Bryan at Shiningbeam, as far as I know, inspects all of his lights, and except for machining marks under the anodizing here and there,
the lights appear to be flawless. I've paid far more for top-branded lights that were no where near as good.

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
Forget the Nebo I wouldn't trust them if your looking for the reliability of a Mag/Surefire.
Both the P100A2 and BA20 would work but I don't think they will fit in a MMag holster.
The PA10 only does 650lm for a short time on a 14500 li-ion so forget that one, the PA20 would be better.

So your looking for something <$70?

Mini-Mag pro+? nobody will tell the difference till you turn in on :)

Actually I have a mag holster I'm going to stuff stuff in it and see what fits. Would they object if you wore another black nylon holster?
Not nylon, patent leather and my officers are on the news and photos are taken daily of them, so definitely not an option.

Apologies to all, I should have been more clear the government will not spring for new holsters for lights or the lights themselves. The mini-mag holster and the mini-mag is required to be worn by the officer, and is inspected daily, no exceptions. The light I am looking for would have to be purchased by the officer and carried in the support side trouser pocket preferrably on a black clip that was very inconspicous. It would be the officers main light with the mini-mag being the backup on the duty belt. I know it sounds stupid, but that would be the government for you.

Last edited:

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
ScartFatKidGT,

My superiors are very familiar with surefire, I currently carry them. My officers are locked into a uniform requirement set down from those in the government procurement and budgeting. My officers are going to purchase these with private funds.

I would like a flashlight that has a tailcap activation as it is more repeatable under stress and would allow for more techniques with firearms. Trying to momentarily turn on a Mag pro while using a pistol is problematic.

Thanks for the suggestion. If price were no object I would say "go pick a Surefire fury", but I can barely get my officers to the range to practice firearms, getting them to shell out $150.00 for a light that they would only use if the proverbial excrement hit the rotating set of blades is out of the question.

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I really do think your trainees would be satisfied with a Fenix E21, especially the new E21 V2 that can be had for 35 dollars. It's a very throwy light that is very tough. It will fit into a pocket nice a discretely, has a momentary push tailcap that extends past the end of the light making it easy to find, and it's fairly easy to use as a momentary only light for night fire exercises. Just grip the light a little farther back and you can squeeze incredibly hard and have it still function as a momentary only light. I find it to be a great back up duty light. The only thing you probably won't like is that it has no pocket clip, you have to slip the light in and out of your pocket.

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to loose some money, you could buy a few lights and test them for durability. But a sample size of one does not represent how all the other lights will act.

The Balder SE-1 could work as Gurthang noted. 1 AA, well built, but I read that the heatsink is not very heavy (but should be fine for spreading heat in use).

For under $40, also look at the Fenix E21 and Shiningbeam's offerings like the Caveman and Spark. Reviews say that the shiningbeam lights are well built.

:welcome:
Thanks for the welcome. I think the Lighthound AA just found a new home. I love flashlights but I am not quite as knowledgable about their inner workings as most of you seem to be. AKA flashlight=magic glow rod that banishes darkness. So about the heat sink is that a item that basically absorbs heat or does merely enable the shedding of the heat?

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info on the Jetbeam, I just could not believe that kind of performance was coming out of a standard coppertop. I will be picking up one of those for a christmas gift for someone.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
So about the heat sink is that a item that basically absorbs heat or does merely enable the shedding of the heat?
a bit of both, it takes the heat from the LED, and allows it to be released through the metal casing of the light the thicker/larger the heatsink, the more heat it can pull away from the led

Edit:

that Lighthound AA.. " 230 Max Lumens! (using 14500 battery)"
are you interested in lithium lights?

it's fine if you are, just making sure you noticed that. A 14500 is a lithium Ion that is the same size as a AA, but with more juice

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Fenix LD22 perhaps?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to direct this at you...I can understand your position but for your Admins or whomever made the decision to require the minimag and do the "inspections"....to be more concerned about the appearance of your subordinates who represent you to the public to the point where you deny them the ability to carry proper equipment to do their job safely, equipment which you did NOT supply them is unacceptable and I'm sure could be prosecutable should anything happen. They need to be brought into the 21st Century.

Okay now that I've gotten that out of the way....I was wondering if you know that the older incandescent Surefire 6Ps can be found for quite reasonable prices and since you can update them with a new LED drop-in module are easily brought up to competing with the others in output. You can also use a rechargeable 17670 in them without having to get the tube bored out. My oldest Surefire is going on 16 years old, but it's actually better now than it was the day I got it.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Ahh I see you edited your first post, to me it sounded like you needed a light that would fit in a mini mag holster to replace the mini mag or atleast look similar.

What you really want is a different light entirely that is reasonably priced, pocketable, black, with a forward clicky which there are a bunch. Do you know if you want 2 AA cells or 1?

Is a combat grip ring a must?

Quark X Tactical AA^2
Jetbeam BA10/BA20
Fenix E11, LD12 and LD22

PS you can get the 2 mode fury for $109 and either G2X for $67

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can unofficially run your Surefire 6PX with a LiIon 17670 to cut down on the cost of primary batteries. As for a duty light recommendation, I say a Streamlight Led Strion would work well for most non-flashaholic type people. It can be found for about $100 dollars and has a decent warranty.

Edit: Oops! Missed the price point stipulation.

Last edited:

vatrainer

Newly Enlightened
Not to direct this at you...I can understand your position but for your Admins or whomever made the decision to require the minimag and do the "inspections"....to be more concerned about the appearance of your subordinates who represent you to the public to the point where you deny them the ability to carry proper equipment to do their job safely, equipment which you did NOT supply them is unacceptable and I'm sure could be prosecutable should anything happen. They need to be brought into the 21st Century.

Okay now that I've gotten that out of the way....I was wondering if you know that the older incandescent Surefire 6Ps can be found for quite reasonable prices and since you can update them with a new LED drop-in module are easily brought up to competing with the others in output. You can also use a rechargeable 17670 in them without having to get the tube bored out. My oldest Surefire is going on 16 years old, but it's actually better now than it was the day I got it.

Yeah, I am not sure about my officers doing any modding. I have some ex-sf guys and some marines that I would let them go ahead with it, but some of my straight out of college guys I worry about. Plus it would have total under $70.00 USD to be practical for some of these officers to buy it. Good Idea if it can be done on that price point.

I am interested in the led for my own G2Z combatlight, I have still have it running on the old incandescent which has relegated it to nightstand duty. My 6PX tactical is my edc. What part would I need for the upgrade. I don't mind spending money on keeping an old friend in the fight.

As far the uppity ups goes they remind me constantly that on all the static protection posts they have the 3 cell mags and a lantern style spotlights. Eh, government procurement what can you do.