• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Questions about my new Haiku

Slider817

Newly Enlightened
I recently received my second Haiku, this one is regular Haiku with the New Nichia 119v emitter.

I have a few questions

1. When I leave the light on high for extended periods of time, the light gets very hot, is that a problem to leave it on for so long? Will this damage the light?

2. Also, I use Rechargeables and Primaries, would this make a difference with use with either in terms of leaving it on for extended periods of time?.

3. My other HiCRI lights have a very warm tint, I have a 4Sevens Mini CR2 HiCRI and a Malkoff HiCRI, and both of them are very warm. However, my newest Haiku with the Nichia has a very cool tint, although the colors are even more accurate, I thought that HiCRi= Warm tint, is this normal for the Nichia 119V ?

Thank In advance for all your help, and here is a pick of my EDC, always makes a thread more fun.

photo3-69.jpg

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a Haiku high-cri so here is what I know:

1. Mostly no (within reason of course), Don never entioned that one needs to be very careful. The light is considered to be a very tough tool

2. No

3. They all have a warm tint because Cree only makes high-cri leds with very warm tints. In general cri has nothing to do with tint, otherwise the sun wouldn't exist, right? :)
The Nichia leds that Don has been using during the last couple of years are the closest to daylight that anyone has gotten here (meaning high-cri and high cct).

Last edited:

Slider817

Newly Enlightened

1. Mostly know (within reason of course), Don never entioned that one needs to be very careful. The light is considered to be a very tough tool

2. No

3. They all have a warm tint because Cree only makes high-crileds with very warm tints. In genereal cri has nothing to do with tint, otherwise the sun wouldn't exist, right? :)
The Nichia leds that Don has been using during the last couple of years are the closest to daylight that anyone has gotten here (meaning high-cri and high cct).

Thank You so much, I guess that pretty much answers all my questions.

Empire

Banned
I recently received my second Haiku, this one is regular Haiku with the New Nichia 119v emitter.

I have a few questions

1. When I leave the light on high for extended periods of time, the light gets very hot, Will this damage the light? YES THAT IS NOT GOOD TO LEAVE A LITHIUM BATTERY IN A DEVICE THAT REACHES HIGH TEMPERATURE.

2. Also, I use Rechargeables and Primaries, would this make a difference with use with either in terms of leaving it on for extended periods of time?. NO, It is still bad

3. My other HiCRI lights have a very warm tint, I have a 4Sevens Mini CR2 HiCRI and a Malkoff HiCRI, and both of them are very warm. However, my newest Haiku with the Nichia has a very cool tint, although the colors are even more accurate, I thought that HiCRi= Warm tint, is this normal for the Nichia 119V ?

Thank In advance for all your help, and here is a pick of my EDC, always makes a thread more fun.

photo3-69.jpg
BAD IDEA

Empire

Banned

1. Mostly no (within reason of course), Don never entioned that one needs to be very careful. The light is considered to be a very tough tool

2. No

3. They all have a warm tint because Cree only makes high-cri leds with very warm tints. In general cri has nothing to do with tint, otherwise the sun wouldn't exist, right? :)

YOU NEVER WANT TO OVERHEAT A LIGHT, ESPECIALLY WITH A BATTERY INSIDE.
Thats like microwaving a battery

Last edited:

Slider817

Newly Enlightened
Good thing I wasn't your teacher.
That has NOTHING to do with proper battery/light handling

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "Overheat" anytime the light is on for more than 30 seconds it gets warm, for a minute or two it's already hot, for five minutes it gets pretty hot, is this too hot? or within normal operating parameters.

What do you consider "Overheated" and what level of heat is the maximum for this specific light to be operated safely, or does this lights specific emitter not get hotter than the recommended temperature?

Slider817

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that in extended use, the head gets pretty hot, but the battery compartment stays relatively cool. not sure how this plays in.

Empire

Banned
Just to be clear, what do you mean by "Overheat" anytime the light is on for more than 30 seconds it gets warm, for a minute or two it's already hot, for five minutes it gets pretty hot, is this too hot? or within normal operating parameters.

What do you consider "Overheated" and what level of heat is the maximum for this specific light to be operated safely, or does this lights specific emitter not get hotter than the recommended temperature?
If you can't hold it comfortably, THAT is when it is too hot.

Slider817

Newly Enlightened

If you can't hold it comfortably, THAT is when it is too hot.

Titanium is known to not have adequate heat dissipation!
Thats why the heat will be centered on the emitter and not dissipated throughout the light.

Thanks for all the help, I think I have a better idea now of how to use the light. I got the tri-pod mount on the pocket clip, and I have been using it allot, I will be more consious of the heat issues.

scout24

Flashaholic
I've personally run my Haiku on high for 2 or 3 cells back-to-back from fresh to shutdown with no ill effect multiple times. YMMV, but I feel Don errs on the side of caution with the warnings, and the LE is more tolerant than you think.

Moka

Enlightened
I've personally run my Haiku on high for 2 or 3 cells back-to-back from fresh to shutdown with no ill effect multiple times. YMMV, but I feel Don errs on the side of caution with the warnings, and the LE is more tolerant than you think.

Agreed Scout, I use almost exclusively Ti for my EDC lights now, they can be used on high with no ill-effects...
Empire; wake up and smell the Aluminium reflector, the heat is not centred on the emitter, it's dissipated away from the emitter by the MCPCB, LE, and Reflector, yes, Ti isn't great for heat dissipation when compared to Al or Cu, however this is the Nichia 119 driving at 500mA (if memory serves), not an XM-L pushing 1.4A, though you would have to be 'careful' to ensure it doesn't get 'too' hot, general use should not negatively impact the LE.

YMMV (if it does... Post results :whistle:)

Empire

Banned
Agreed Scout, I use almost exclusively Ti for my EDC lights now, they can be used on high with no ill-effects...
Empire; wake up and smell the Aluminium reflector, the heat is not centred on the emitter, it's dissipated away from the emitter by the MCPCB, LE, and Reflector, yes, Ti isn't great for heat dissipation when compared to Al or Cu, however this is the Nichia 119 driving at 500mA (if memory serves), not an XM-L pushing 1.4A, though you would have to be 'careful' to ensure it doesn't get 'too' hot, general use should not negatively impact the LE.

YMMV (if it does... Post results :whistle:)
i got it, Most of my lights mess up if they get hot

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Good thing I wasn't your teacher.
That has NOTHING to do with proper battery/light handling
That is an unnecessarily harsh and judgmental attitude to take. Many of us have been here for years and have gotten our lights hot from use without causing them any damage.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an unnecessarily harsh and judgmental attitude to take. Many of us have been here for years and have gotten our lights hot from use without causing them any damage.

I agree with fyrstormer here. While I don't like that the Haiku gets hot as fast as it does (which is fast) this is definitely a sign that the heat transfer of the entire assembly is actually very good. You have to remember that the Haiku produces consideraby less heat than most edc lights these days (theres a Jetbeam edc light that has a 20-min runtime on one recharable). The Haiku only runs at 500-600mA on high. Thats not a lot by any means. And it still gets hot fast.

It is also true that the body of the light farther back where the battery is located does not get hot at all even after a few minutes. If your ony concern is the battery than little heat and little current mean that you don't need to worry at all about it.

Most XM-L light talked about in this forum are much harder on the batteries than the McGIzmo Haiku.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Haiku 6V HCRI left, just received
Haiku 3V HCRI right, few months ago

Notice the "old" 3V is neutral/barely warm. The 6V with the 119V is purplish and pink spot. Hard to capture but readily evident in real life. Not sure if it's a function of the new emitter or 6V drive, or combo.

d83a1a2a-126d-b0b7.jpg

Last edited: