55W 12v HID Kit Slowly Dying?

Tiresius

Enlightened
Is it normally the bulb or the Ballast that goes out? My HID right side is slowly fading away like it's going to die. The right side is working like it was brand new.

The right side's ballast is subjected to engine temperature and is not shielded behind a battery or intake box. The heat is minor as the exhaust system is facing the opposite of the front.

Anyone knows if it's the bulb or ballast?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it normally the bulb or the Ballast that goes out? My HID right side is slowly fading away like it's going to die. The right side is working like it was brand new.

The right side's ballast is subjected to engine temperature and is not shielded behind a battery or intake box. The heat is minor as the exhaust system is facing the opposite of the front.

Anyone knows if it's the bulb or ballast?

I'm happy to hear that the burner is dying. Now you have the opportunity to remove the illegal, ineffective HID kit from your vehicles headlights, and replace them with more effective bulbs, wiring, and, if necessary, true auxiliary lighting.

Your welcome.

Now, what type of vehicle is it?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

"HID kits" in halogen headlamps or auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle -- car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here for full details.

Remove the "HID kit" from your headlamps and put the correct bulbs back in. Car lights are not the same as flashlights where you can play with them and modify them to your heart's content with no consequence. With headlamps, this is life safety equipment we're talking about. It needs to work correctly, and it can't do that with an "HID kit".

Also keep in mind the lighting modifications/products you're asking about or recommending are illegal. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal activity.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm happy to hear that the burner is dying. Now you have the opportunity to remove the illegal, ineffective HID kit from your vehicles headlights, and replace them with more effective bulbs, wiring, and, if necessary, true auxiliary lighting.

Your welcome.

Now, what type of vehicle is it?

Oh no...This came off an Acura TL. The car comes factory with a factory HID (igniter) kit. My OE bulb exploded (pieces in the housing) and I picked up a 4500k pair for half the price of a single OE.

Sorry, it's 35w, not 55w. The placement of the igniter kit is close to the engine on one and the other isn't. Was trying to find out if the igniter really wears out because if it does, my wallet's gonna cry. I'm not looking into illegal modification as the car comes factory with it already.

EDIT: I hate going with aftermarket ballast kits...Seen them in car meets and they're garbage with a inconsistent beam (flickering/dying issues).

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The car comes factory with a factory HID (igniter) kit

OK, but cars do not come with "HID kits". They come with or without HID headlamps.

My OE bulb exploded (pieces in the housing) and I picked up a 4500k pair for half the price of a single OE.

What brand was this "4500K" bulb you picked up? Where did you get it?

Sorry, it's 35w, not 55w. The placement of the igniter kit

I do not know where you are getting this "ignitor kit" idea. The components of an HID headlamp system are the headlamp itself, the bulb, the ballast and ignitor (which are often combined into one unit) and the cables.

Was trying to find out if the igniter really wears out

Ballasts can and do fail. It's not really a question of "wearing out", though.

Swap the bulbs left/right and see if the problem stays or moves.

Tiresius

Enlightened
TL's do come with a projector headlamp, xenon bulbs, igniter kit (HID Ballasts/Wirings/HUGE port for the harness) and 4000K-ish bulbs. The bulbs manufacturer are from Apexcone and I purchased from a fella in town. One new OE bulb costs $93+ from a local auto store.

Yes, I just tested your suggestion and found that one of the bulbs have a acid-looking haze covering the entire section where the arc is. It seem that I need another replacement after 3 years. OE managed to get me 3 years as well so I'll go with aftermarket route

EDIT: Thanks, Scheinwerfermann

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
TL's do come with a projector headlamp, xenon bulbs, igniter kit

No. Neither TLs nor any other vehicle comes with an "ignitor kit". I'm still not sure where you're getting that idea. "Kit" in this context means a box of parts to install something that's not supposed to be there. The car also does not come with a "front disc brake kit" or an "airbag kit" or a "door lock kit" or a "rearview mirror kit" or a "speedometer kit".

The bulbs manufacturer are from Apexcone

Ah! Well, there's your problem: when you buy off-brand garbage, you get off-brand garbage. If you're lucky, the damage is confined to the bulb. There's no reason to spend unnecessary money at a dealer, but you should buy a reputable-brand bulb (GE, Philips, Osram). They aren't expensive if you spend a few moments shopping around. You haven't mentioned the year of your TL so I don't know which specific bulb type you need (D1S, D2S, D3S, D4S), otherwise I'd probably be able to point you to a reliable vendor.