Dangers Of LED

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
So i am 16 and i plan on buying my first real flashlight which is going to be the Crelant 7G5-V2 of course being a 16 year old boy it fascinates the hell out of me that something can put a beam of light on something from so far away and still be held in your hand(so much i want to do something with the light spectrum like being a laser physicist or a spectrum scientist if that makes sense) . Originally i got a 250mw laser and learned everything you can about it before i bought it. When it came to my house and i turned it on for the first time ever i was amazed but my father wasn't amused. Sure he thought it was cool and all but the safety hazards were to big to ignore and since i live about a couple miles from an air force base he said that the cops and everyone would be here if i turned it on and star pointed with it. So i ended up selling it to a border patrol agent. Ever since that i cant stop thinking about it. So as a young flashlight enthusiast i thought my alternative to a laser would be a thrower so i did my research and came up with the Crelant 7G5-V2. My Father's and I only problem is how visible it from the flight path of the jets from the base and what would happen if i shined it in someones eyes (not saying that would happen because i am responsible but just if) what would the out come be. I mean we have all blinded ourselves temporally from looking at a lamp bulb but what is 850 lumens like? ANY TIPS AND THOUGHT ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT.

Empire

Banned
So i am 16 and i plan on buying my first real flashlight which is going to be the Crelant 7G5-V2 of course being a 16 year old boy it fascinates the hell out of me that something can put a beam of light on something from so far away and still be held in your hand(so much i want to do something with the light spectrum like being a laser physicist or a spectrum scientist if that makes sense) . Originally i got a 250mw laser and learned everything you can about it before i bought it. When it came to my house and i turned it on for the first time ever i was amazed but my father wasn't amused. Sure he thought it was cool and all but the safety hazards were to big to ignore and since i live about a couple miles from an air force base he said that the cops and everyone would be here if i turned it on and star pointed with it. So i ended up selling it to a border patrol agent. Ever since that i cant stop thinking about it. So as a young flashlight enthusiast i thought my alternative to a laser would be a thrower so i did my research and came up with the Crelant 7G5-V2. My Father's and I only problem is how visible it from the flight path of the jets from the base and what would happen if i shined it in someones eyes (not saying that would happen because i am responsible but just if) what would the out come be. I mean we have all blinded ourselves temporally from looking at a lamp bulb but what is 850 lumens like? ANY TIPS AND THOUGHT ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT.
This same topic has been discussed before here on candlepower forms but as of now a flashlight is not illegal to point at anything. The lasers themselves need to be taken care of with extreme caution of course but just pointing it is star is not warranting for to sell it.I recommend that you have fun with it if anyone gets pissed at you about it then put it away for the night and just play with it in a different area.

Last edited:

Empire

Banned
Also as a side note 850 lm is pretty bright for people who have not had many flashlights! Also, The outcome of anything happening would be EXTREMELY SLIM and if somebody did stop by your house it'd be your neighbors because they were trying to sleep when you were shining it around :D

my#1hobby

Enlightened
This same topic has been discussed before here on candlepower forms but as of now a flashlight is not illegal to point at anything.

In California, it's illegal to point a laser or high power spotlight at aircraft.. I remember a news story a few years ago where a young kid got arrested for pointing a handheld searchlight at a Sheriff's helicopter, and these new LED throwers are approaching the lumen output of some handheld spotlights.

Empire

Banned
In California, it's illegal to point a laser or high power spotlight at aircraft.. I remember a news story a few years ago where a young kid got arrested for pointing a handheld searchlight at a Sheriff's helicopter, and these new LED throwers are approaching the lumen output of some handheld spotlights.
Good point My#1hobby

Tiresius

Enlightened

Hey, I remembered that on the news...The boy's parents were furious. I'd be too. But it is by no means illegal to have a super bright light. Just as long as you don't beam the cops or copter with it, you'll be fine. Some officer folks here are nice enough to show you their lights. I've been trying to steer them into more option other than Streamlights because the ones I've seen utilizes an older XRC emitter. I just wished I could show them my small collection of 500+ lumens as a wow factor to them.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
That laser is way more dangerous/likely to get you in trouble than the light due to them starting fires and burning people and stuff. As long as you don't shine the light directly at a driving car or airplane taking off I think your good. A flying plane would be way to high.

Empire

Banned
That laser is way more dangerous/likely to get you in trouble than the light due to them starting fires and burning people and stuff. As long as you don't shine the light directly at a driving car or airplane taking off I think your good. A flying plane would be way to high.
Untrue, Incandecent lights can start fires too! Not just lasers

2vtx

Newly Enlightened
Enjoying an adult beverage after an evening softball game sounds relatively harmless, right? Not if there's an idiot with a spotlight shinning it in the direction of the local law enforcement helicopter. Those things kick up a lot of wind when they land right up in amongst you. And quickly too I might add. I wasn't able to comprehend all of what the pilot had to say because the rotors were still winding down. I did, however, hear the words illegal, spotlight, ***, and jail. Good thing all I was holding at that time was a cold beer.

Steve

notsofast

Enlightened

I think shinning that light into someones eyes would really **** them off! Don't know for sure if it would do any damage, long term exposure of such intense light might. When I pass my hand in front of the beam of my DEFT just the reflection back into my eyes makes me squint

Reference to a now deleted comment removed.

Looks to be a good thrower, get the collimator head for super throw.
I am sure you have read a lot on the subject of throwers, hope you didn't miss the DEFT. A most impressive flashlight especially since it can do what it does on just 4 eneloop batteries. (which are AA size)

Last edited by a moderator:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'd say avoid shining it into sky or road traffic and you'll be fine. I shine my throwers deep into the night sky on a regular basis. As long as no aircraft are around, nobody cares. I live in a fairly sensitive area too. I'd venture to say we have more military here than anywhere else I've been in the country, with 15 installations/bases nearby.

On a side note, 2 people have been convicted this year locally for shining laser pointers at aircraft (helicopters AND military fighter jets), both people are now facing 20 YEARS. The FBI was involved in both cases and they were both federal felony charges. Like I said, I avoid "high traffic" skies with lights like the ol' night master... They use a special helmet to track down people who do this, and they do convict in this area.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have dealt with these same 2 issues. I became interested in lasers about a year ago, well I had been interested since I was a kid, but not until recently did they become cheap enough to be able to buy high powered ones. So the first thing I did was learn by going to the laser pointer forums and reading. Then I found this Amazon.com deal for 3 lasers that were "supposedly" 5mw, but according to the thread at the forum there, these had been tested at much higher power than that, so I bought the kit for $22. It came with a 80-100mW 650nm red, a 50-60mW 445nm violet, and a 30-40mW 532nm green laser. Thats a great deal!

So I messed around with them while deciding which 250-400mW green or blue laser I wanted to buy, then I realized how much more dangerous these high powered laser are. Its not just having it shine into your eye, there are UV dangers with some green lasers, and another danger called the blue light Hazard which means that very powerful blue light sources can damage your eyes even if it doesnt hit you directly in your eye, but green, red, blue or violet lasers will ruin your eyes if you shine them into your eye of course!

So I decided not to buy any more powerful lasers, and I even got bored with the ones I had anyway, so..... PLus you can get in trouble shining them onto people's property, etc.

I am limited at my house by not being able to shine high powered lights or lasers because there are houses all around my house, so I have to go elsewhere to test my more powerful lights, which is what you will have to do.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
It sounds as though you are pretty conscience and responsible about things... just be careful and you will be fine.

...and keep it away from any crazy friends you might have! When I was sixteen I had a couple friends that were always getting me into trouble! ;)