torch to find owls in the forest

doctoradh

Newly Enlightened
Hello
I tried to post this before, but it seems to have disappeared.
I am hoping someone can help me find the right torch to help me find owls when out in the forest at night. Obviously a tight focus beam would I imagine be best, as the target is always relatively small. I may be up to 60-80 metres away so it would need to reach this far. I would like the light to make the bird look as natural as possible. I have started with a LED Lenser P7, which is great with its ability to focus the beam, but its simply not got the power. I dont want to spend a fortune so am not looking for top of the range, but a reasonable priced torch. Perhaps I am asking for the world, I dont know! But I figured you guys if anyone would be able to advise.
I have read the threads about looking for mammals at night, but this isnt quite the same thing.
Thanks very much
Adam

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Fenix E40... I asked for outdoor beamshots in the LED flashlight forum, but only time will tell if someone, with the light, sees the request...

This guy, http://www.antary.de/2012/08/06/fenix-e40-review/ has a review where he shows the E40 putting the led lenser p14 to shame.

...when I first saw the stats for the E40 I thought it was a dud ....wow was I wrong

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how much you want to spend but I really like the Fenix TK15 and it makes a nice nightstand light/SHTF light. I have no experience with the E40 but it does seem promising.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
My threads were lost in the most recent crash too!

How much do you want to spend and what sort of batteries do you want to use?

A neutral 'tint' led might be better for good colour rendition- I find 'cool white' tints tend to wash everything out whereas the neutral/warm tints tend to make browns and greens look... well, brown and green!

Having seen these beamshots, I'm going to retract my recommendation of a Fenix TK20 Although it takes AA batteries and has a warm tint, the tech is a bit outdated and the runtimes on high are a bit short!

Great resource to compare beamshots for certain lights here.

GM

spc smith

Enlightened
doctoradh,

3 words.. SKY RAY KING. get the neutral warm version at cnqualitygoods for about $65 USD. Then get the new nitecore i2 charger with 4 18650 batteries. then your set to FREEZE FRAME and TERRORIZE the hell out of any nearby suspected hooting owl with perfect color rendering capability! Seriously though, at 2,200 lumens and a neutral warm color, you will get perfect pics. Further research this light on budgetlightforums if need be. But i strongly recommend!

SPC Smith

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
I have a new Xeno G42 V2. So far, I like it a lot. It features a narrow beam, and it is bright.

I love owls. Please post news of your night time adventures to these forums.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I have a new Xeno G42 V2. So far, I like it a lot. It features a narrow beam, and it is bright.

Glad you're a fan! Which tint colour did you go with? I've ordered a neutral white, getting impatient waiting for it to arrive!

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
Glad you're a fan! Which tint colour did you go with? I've ordered a neutral white, getting impatient waiting for it to arrive!
Hello gravelmonkey,

I am mostly pleased with the Xeno. I have the cool white tint. The mechanics are solid. The appearance is unusually "military." The reflector head is large, smooth, and beautiful.

I recently noticed an issue with controlling the flashlight when its battery is about halfway depleted: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?343142-Xeno-G42-V2-Problem-when-battery-is-low . I would like to know if you experience this issue too, when your light arrives.

Good luck!

doctoradh

Newly Enlightened
Hi
thanks for all your thoughts and feedback, am really grateful, and it's taken me quite some time to work thro it all. Has anyone had any experience of the Fenix TK41, as someone has recommended this to me for my owl quests? Unless I am underestimating the performance, I dont think the E40 will be powerful enough.
With reference to the Xeno G42 V2, I cant believe that a torch with a single battery can pump out so much light; incredible! I am wary that it can only run for full power for 1 hour, as I will be in the forest for full nights at times, and will need a longer run time. If I did opt for this torch and took spare batteries, would it be able to give the performance I require?

SPS Smith thanks v much for the suggestion of the Sky Ray King. I cant help but think that this is too powerful, as i get the impression it will light up pretty much the whole tree/half the forest; am I correct in this?!

And thanks GM for the beam comparison site, abs awesome, a great visual comparison. Makes the TK41 look unsuitable actually as that looks like it will light up half the forest, which I really dont want to do! Shame it doesnt have the Xenon torch on there eh, would have been really good to see that compared to the others.

thanks again

Adam

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Glad to be of assistance! Speaking from personal experience of working/playing in woods/forests, I would strongly recommend a 'neutral' or 'warm' tint LED- The TK41 is bright enough but only comes with a cool tint- possibly ok, but browns will appear a bit washed out. I suggested the xeno as it can throw the beam pretty well and they are readily available with a choice of cool, neutral or warm tint.

Without getting too specific, this is a quick and dirty example of the differences tint can make (the TK41 won't be as blue as the cool tint example). If you follow the link at the bottom of the page there are more outdoor beamshots of various lights- look for the differences between cool and neutral.

Battery format is your next choice, either AA's or li-ions? Li-ion batteries pack more a punch power-wise but need a bit of respect and background reading!

Apologies for the essay, I started typing and got carried away!!

GM

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahhh, I hate to type it, :rolleyes:
but for that use, the beam from an aspheric is the best option.

Any spill light will make it much more difficult to find the bird

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a few owls whilst working late at night I generally notice them after they notice me quietly walking around by moonlight...

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
I live in the woods and have put up a couple of Screech Owl boxes near the house so we can enjoy our natural neighbors. Both boxes have been continually occupied & our feathered friends have been great neighbors. We have been treated to visits on the window sill at night and often they will be out during the day. They are always out shortly before it gets dark.

I've never shined a flashlight at them. I think they would quietly avoid someone out in the wood with a bright light. I would suggest as low a light as possible, only turn it on when you think you found one, and be quiet and still. Maybe calling them in would be the best way to spot them. Be respectful of their need to see as well.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
So... I picked up an E40 and test it out for a couple days....

If you wanna look up a tree, for anything, this light kicks ***!
I don't care how many lumens it is, it's like a 2-3 foot spot of daylight, just blazing away....

anything within 50 feet only needs the low mode, high is good for spotting deer 500 feet away.. and I mean looking at the deer, not just their eye-shine

...might not be the best light for walking around in the woods though; it's really focused.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
ahhh, I hate to type it, :rolleyes:
but for that use, the beam from an aspheric is the best option.

Any spill light will make it much more difficult to find the bird
Agreed but there colors sorta get messed up at least with my Deree light theres like orange's and blues in different spots.

and the only way to get a neutral aspheric that I can think of would be a Crelent 7G5 modded with a T6 neutral with aspheric head

Saablaster is apparently coming out with something neww too

Last edited:

doctoradh

Newly Enlightened
Hi again and thanks again for all this info. To be honest I was hoping I could get something off the shelf rather than get into customising a torch. I do now accept that this means it will be a compromise, but am OK to go with this.
I've been recommended some torches through a shop recommended on here, fancy flash lights, who seem very helpful. If anyone has an opinion on the suitability of these for the task in hand, as I raelly dont want to light up a huge area of forest, that would be gratefully received:
knight rider RX-1 cree XM-L T6 860-Lumen 1x18650 long shot flashlight
PAISEN D1 CREE XM-L T6 1x18650/3xAAA 600LM 5-mode Zoomable Flashlight
Yezl T9 CREE XM-L T6 1x18650 9-mode Zoomable Flashlight Big Head

The knight rider is the only one with a warm tint, so am leaning towards this? And would this be better suited than a TK41, or after all this might the best option be one of the first torches recommended to me, Xeno G42 V2?
thanks very much again, I really didnt realise what a minefield this is!
best regards
Adam

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Hi again and thanks again for all this info. To be honest I was hoping I could get something off the shelf rather than get into customising a torch. I do now accept that this means it will be a compromise, but am OK to go with this.
I've been recommended some torches through a shop recommended on here, fancy flash lights, who seem very helpful. If anyone has an opinion on the suitability of these for the task in hand, as I raelly dont want to light up a huge area of forest, that would be gratefully received:
knight rider RX-1 cree XM-L T6 860-Lumen 1x18650 long shot flashlight
PAISEN D1 CREE XM-L T6 1x18650/3xAAA 600LM 5-mode Zoomable Flashlight
Yezl T9 CREE XM-L T6 1x18650 9-mode Zoomable Flashlight Big Head

The knight rider is the only one with a warm tint, so am leaning towards this? And would this be better suited than a TK41, or after all this might the best option be one of the first torches recommended to me, Xeno G42 V2?
thanks very much again, I really didnt realise what a minefield this is!
best regards
Adam

are you in the U.S.? do you know how to safely use a protected 18650?

if so, take yourself over to shiningbeam.com and see what Bryan has....

I don't know anything about the quality of those lights, but I can tell you they ain't that bright ;)

doctoradh

Newly Enlightened
Hey Ezeriel
thanks for your comment. I am in the UK, so would that mean that I cant follow your recommendation? Figured I can email them and see. Am yet to learn about the 18650s, but if this is the power source I need then I will def do so; I've gleaned that these need alot of respect.
And thanks for your comment on the brightness, so hard to understand what I'll get for my money, so great to get a personal validation (or not!). So do you say these torches are less powerful than the E40? Just they state figures of around 800 Lumens cf the E40s 220, so further adding to my torch confusion?!
thanks